Bill Polian WGR interview

JohnC

Thanks for posting. Unfortunately it's near impossible for me to get 12 minutes to listen during a normal work day.

If anyone wants to transcribe the high points like has been done for other interviews/press conferences etc. I'd really appreciate it. (And yes, i know i can go listen after work....)

Some good stuff. Wilson was the one that told him over the phone that he was going to the wall. Wilson also told him that the only reason they waited until now was because they didn't want to add him to the wall while he was on another team, so that is why now. They also joked about the events over his termination, which I found odd.

He says he always will have s soft spot for buffalo, mainly because those were his family years and its where his kids grew up, and it feels very much like home.

His two biggest moves were hiring marv levy, because coaching is important, and signing Jim Kelly. Signing Jim Kelly made the bills relevant and was very symbolic, and changed the culture.

He talked about team trying to trade for Kelly, with a young, good qb prospect and a lot else in return, and when bill brought the offer to Wilson, Wilson turned it down and wanted to do what it took to sign Kelly. Did say who the other qb was, but polian said he turned out to be nowhere near as good as Kelly.

About the bills now, he.mentioned it took the bills two years after the signed Kelly to make the playoffs . He thinks the division is wide open,pats are not as good as they used to be, jests are questionable, and phins are rebuilding. He is not sure if the bills will make the playoffs this year, but stressed that Fitz needs to stay healthy and they are heading in the right direction

Thanks for posting. Unfortunately it's near impossible for me to get 12 minutes to listen during a normal work day.

If anyone wants to transcribe the high points like has been done for other interviews/press conferences etc. I'd really appreciate it. (And yes, i know i can go listen after work....)

Wilson told him personally about the Wall of Fame, initially when he got the call from Scott Berchold to call Ralph at home he though there was something wrong with Mr. Wilson.

His kids say that Buffalo is their hometown.

Good relationship between him and Wilson, he owns Wilson a debt of gratitude for giving him the opportunity in NFL.

Had a chance to trade Jim Kelly's rights for a significant package including a young QB who was not as good as Kelly, Wilson thought about it for 15 seconds and decided to sign Kelly.

Two biggest signings were Marv and Jim Kelly.

Likes the direction the Bills are heading in now. They are young. But did state it took two years after signing Kelly to make the playoffs.

Stated as long as NE has Brady they are a force. The question is how much they improved their pass rush.

Doesn't wonder what would have happen if he had stayed in Buffalo. Stated he needed to look forward.

Thanks for the recap guys! Really happy to see Bill get the kudos he deserves, and isn't that interesting to hear how Ralph turned down the offer to trade Kelly's rights?!!