Kelso Helmets

Totally agree about form tackling, all this sorry-ass "tackling" that is going on in the league is pathetic. Hopefully with all the H-H rules players will start tackling bettere giving us a better product on the field and less concussions. That said when I played it was practically impossible not to go helmet helmet when tacking on pulling lineman and Full Backs. Also when I played I found that if I had a tight helmet there was no pain or stars when hitting but if it was loose this caused a lot of head problems. As I see players today there helmets practically fall off when they bend over, I think if they just got a tighter helmet that, that would help some what.

Back to the soft Helmets; I'm no engineer but working in a machine shop I know a soft face hammer delivers a much less significant blow than a hard face one, just saying.

is this the kind of Technology you are talking about? If not then what?

"Similar carbon fiber/kevlar and energy apsorbing technology and knowledge that is utilized for F1, MotoGP and other motorsport helmets with some version of a Hans type device needs to be incorporated into football helmet design and manufacturing in order to minimize the high rate of brain injuries suffered by football players worldwide."

http://realanalytics.wordpress.com/2010/11/04/football-concussion-statistics/

Are you a former player and what is your involvement with new helmets.

Nice link, one thing that the article didn't mention was that the newest generation of Motosport helmets are sort of air bag based and in fact after the bags fill the helmet needs to be disposed of. I am not sure how it works or how expensive they are as I can not find a linky to it but I read that about a half a year or 9 months ago somewhere? on the intrawebs.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad none of you are doctors.

I'm guessing you don't have too many Holiday Inn Express hotels across the pond.

I'm also guessing you've never played a doctor on TV before, either.

GO BILLS!!!

Totally agree about form tackling, all this sorry-ass "tackling" that is going on in the league is pathetic.

And will get WORSE with new NFLPA imposed rules limiting contact during season. You do not need to go full speed but you need contact practices to improve your game.

And will get WORSE with new NFLPA imposed rules limiting contact during season. You do not need to go full speed but you need contact practices to improve your game.

True but contact is hard and players don't want that. It seems to me that players are hurt more now than ever before and there were less injuries when there was live contact practices. Ones body doesn't get used to hitting on day a week on sundays, it needs to be conditioned through out the week to be prepared for game day. I also don't buy that players are that much bigger and faster than 20 yrs ago, seems like house Ballard and Deion were pretty big and fast respectively.