Special Teams?

It's all good until deep in the playoffs your kicker doesn't get quite a hold of the ball and the other team returns it for a touchdown because you haven't repped it all season long...

It's not like they aren't going to practice coverage and run...and by the way, I like your "deep in the playoffs" reference. :thumbsup:

Edited by eball

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that when Dick and Bobby left Nix and Chan filled the Roster with guys who could play offense and defense and then figured out the STs later, and that is why it fell. We got rid of guys who were only STers like Ellison and company. April had too much power over the roster and it hurt when the injuries came. Now that we have a roster that is actually capable of playing NFL football, we can get 4-5 guys who excel on ST and also play O or D. There is a difference.

I think that when Dick and Bobby left Nix and Chan filled the Roster with guys who could play offense and defense and then figured out the STs later, and that is why it fell. We got rid of guys who were only STers like Ellison and company. April had too much power over the roster and it hurt when the injuries came. Now that we have a roster that is actually capable of playing NFL football, we can get 4-5 guys who excel on ST and also play O or D. There is a difference.

This is a great point and I would add that:

While there are great football players that suck at special teams and there are great special teams players who otherwise suck at football that in general superior players will make superior special teams players.

In other words, this roster seems much more talented than it was 3 years ago and as a result, the special teams players will also be more talented, that is, better.

As succinctly as I can put it, the special teams will be better because the roster consists of better players.