The Colts are probably done

One of the great ironies of life in the NFL is the importance of momentum for performance and the all to human difficulty folks have of turning on and off the supreme effort.

It simply is going to be tremendously difficult for the Colts to show up to play Denver on Sunday. Yet, if they don't show up Sunday and in the first round ofthe playoffs they face a team that is on a roll they will have every chance of getting their head handed to them in that game.

Dungy and Manning have both faced this occurence before as they led good teams into a meaningless final game, got their clocked clean as the players mailed it in and then they got beaten by a lesser group in the first round of the playoffs.

The bottomline is that good teams dominate opponents every single game in the single elimination short course of the playoffs. I expect Indy to go into a shell if one of their starters gets hurt or if Denver takes it to them early. If this occurs, I think that there will be a fair to middlin shot that Indy will be done overall.

One of the great ironies of life in the NFL is the importance of momentum for performance and the all to human difficulty folks have of turning on and off the supreme effort.

It simply is going to be tremendously difficult for the Colts to show up to play Denver on Sunday.  Yet, if they don't show up Sunday and in the first round ofthe playoffs they face a team that is on a roll they will have every chance of getting their head handed to them in that game.

Dungy and Manning have both faced this occurence before as they led good teams into a meaningless final game, got their clocked clean as the players mailed it in and then they got beaten by a lesser group in the first round of the playoffs.

The bottomline is that good teams dominate opponents every single game in the single elimination short course of the playoffs.  I expect Indy to go into a shell if one of their starters gets hurt or if Denver takes it to them early.  If this occurs, I think that there will be a fair to middlin shot that Indy will be done overall.

183791[/snapback]

I don't know the Eagles are going to turn it back on either. The barely won against Dallas two weeks ago. McNabb and Co. are going to be off basically for a month between games. Let the starters play. I remember a game 12 months ago that was 31-0 and the starters played basically right up until the end of the game. Then went on to win a SB.

Why do you guys say this, but when it comes to the steelers you think you will just breeze by us because we will be resting? I think this Sunday you should be worring about how to stop Duce and the rest of the running game and figuring out how to score on our defense without getting Bledsoe killed.

as far as the Colts go. How in the hell does a QB throw a record 49 TD's in a season with one game to go, and their team is a #3 seed? Defense baby! If the Colts make it out of the first round, they will be going back to their achellies (sp) heel. Patsy land, to take on those damn patsies. It won't be pretty... JMHO though...

Why do you guys say this, but when it comes to the steelers you think you will just breeze by us because we will be resting?  I think this Sunday you should be worring about how to stop Duce and the rest of the running game and figuring out how to score on our defense without getting Bledsoe killed. 

183816[/snapback]

I'm not the OC otherwise I would be.

And preparation hasn't been an issue for this team for a long time.

Why do you guys say this, but when it comes to the steelers you think you will just breeze by us because we will be resting?  I think this Sunday you should be worring about how to stop Duce and the rest of the running game and figuring out how to score on our defense without getting Bledsoe killed. 

183816[/snapback]

Because I think our game vs. the Steelers will more likely emulate the game you saw between the Rams and the Iggles. The Steelers will give it their best shot for the first quarter...maybe...and if we can keep the game close or extend a lead into the third quarter, Cowher won't push his luck.

I would add that right now we are performing at a much higher level than either the Jets or the Broncos, two teams who can find a way to lose.

183816[/snapback]

Wow, I never said anything like that, but I will say that I want to see the Bills starters play the Steelers starters straight up. I want to see the which team has the better defense in an all out brawl. Cowher would be well advised to go ahead and gameplan to put the final nail in the coffin of the 2004 four Bills now, rather than attempt to do it at a later date next month.

183816[/snapback]

Who's worried? Stopping Duce (or the Bus) is called Williams, Adams, Fletcher and Spikes. Pitt will not be able to run on the Bills. Tommy Maddox in a passing duel?!?! Come on, get real. Even if Big Ben were to play his passing stats in the last 7 are not good. The Pitt D will be playing from behind all day as the Bill's ST's will rule field position. Pitt can't beat Buffalo in Buffalo on thier best day.

Because I think our game vs. the Steelers will more likely emulate the game you saw between the Rams and the Iggles. The Steelers will give it their best shot for the first quarter...maybe...and if we can keep the game close or extend a lead into the third quarter, Cowher won't push his luck.

I would add that right now we are performing at a much higher level than either the Jets or the Broncos, two teams who can find a way to lose.

183836[/snapback]

Bingo -

Plus, after shutting down Fred Taylor, Curtis Martin, and Shaun Alexander this year, excuse me for not shaking in my boots thinking about Duce Staley running on us.

I don't know the Eagles are going to turn it back on either. The barely won against Dallas two weeks ago. McNabb and Co. are going to be off basically for a month between games. Let the starters play. I remember a game 12 months ago that was 31-0 and the starters played basically right up until the end of the game. Then went on to win a SB.

183796[/snapback]

Yeah, but that was a revenge game. The Bills were done and Belichick's ego was still smarting from the 31-0 shellacking that he got from Drew & Co. in week 1. He had to be licking his chops on that one. Belichick can say what he wants, but he clearly wanted to take it to them for showing him up on opening day.

I mean, really....28-0 halfway through the 4th and they give up on a 3rd down play just to kick a FG and make it 31-0. Then putting his starters back in to stop the Bills from scoring from the 1-yard line? If that wasn't showing someone up, I don't know what is.

as far as the Colts go.  How in the hell does a QB throw a record 49 TD's in a season with one game to go, and their team is a #3 seed?  Defense baby!  If the Colts make it out of the first round, they will be going back to their achellies (sp) heel.  Patsy land, to take on those damn patsies.  It won't be pretty... JMHO though...

183816[/snapback]

Actually, many posters on TSW are well aware that a team needs to play the game one week at a time and prepare to face a real opponent each week even if they are seemingly feeble teams like SF on the road or better teams at home.

Folks have used the phrase "trap game" for numerous outings in our recent run to the extent that stevestojan got sick of it.

I think that not even us posters and certainly not the team views this game against the Steelers as one they can mail in an effort on or one which already is a a win because RoboQB, Bettis, and Burris appear to be out and Duce Staley is slated by Pitts for reduced duty.

One of the side effects of our 0-4, 1-5, 3-6 start is that the Bills have had to treat every game in the last 6 as a must win game and clearly the Pitts game is even more so a must win for the Bills that they must show up for regardless of who the opponent is.

You don't know what a game in January at the Ralph is like. I feel sorry for whoever your team throws out there. It's gonna be a feeding frenzy. BTW were playing pretty good smashmouth now. ;)

It simply is going to be tremendously difficult for the Colts to show up to play Denver on Sunday.

The minute the game starts and somebody pops you in the head, all that playoff/seeding stuff goes right out the window and it becomes a football game.

While playoff implications may be a great motivator, another great motivator is pride; don't discount it.

Cya

from their quotes the Colts are going to try and eliminate the Broncos......Dungy wants a 13 game season, they dont want to look at the Broncos again next week, and I'm sure Manning wants to pad his record.........Colts +9 take and a little on the money line as they play this one for real

Yeah, but that was a revenge game. The Bills were done and Belichick's ego was still smarting from the 31-0 shellacking that he got from Drew & Co. in week 1. He had to be licking his chops on that one. Belichick can say what he wants, but he clearly wanted to take it to them for showing him up on opening day.

I mean, really....28-0 halfway through the 4th and they give up on a 3rd down play just to kick a FG and make it 31-0. Then putting his starters back in to stop the Bills from scoring from the 1-yard line? If that wasn't showing someone up, I don't know what is.

-------------------------

Momentum baby....that's what my entire post was about. It was a chance, an opportunity to kick it up a notch.

Bingo -

Plus, after shutting down Fred Taylor, Curtis Martin, and Shaun Alexander this year, excuse me for not shaking in my boots thinking about Duce Staley running on us.

183842[/snapback]

Hmmm Funny. We've shut down 3 of those 4 RB's ourselves. Also Jamal Lewis twice. Plus we have run against the Ravens, Redskins, Patriots AND Iggles. I've heard it every week. Just a little hint for you all... It is NOT the RB you have to worry about. It's the OL! Thanks, Gant I was going to point that out as well. As well as the 13-0 as a starter. Like I staed earlier. Would you rather have a QB throuw 49+ TD's and be a #3, Or have a qb with a passer rating of 95.3 and 13-0... He has the ability to COME back, and the ability to win! all I care about

Johninminn. Steelernation is in MANY stadiums. We have many fans that take the 12th man out of the equation. Don't be surprised to see many terrible towels waving this Sunday... BTW Do you watch games at the buffalo Tap down by Shokoppee?

Hmmm Funny.  We've shut down 3 of those 4 RB's ourselves.  Also Jamal Lewis twice.  Plus we have run against the Ravens, Redskins, Patriots AND Iggles.  I've heard it every week.  Just a little hint for you all... It is NOT the RB you have to worry about.  It's the OL!  Thanks, Gant I was going to point that out as well.  As well as the 13-0 as a starter.  Like I staed earlier.  Would you rather have a QB throuw 49+ TD's and be a #3, Or have a qb with a passer rating of 95.3 and 13-0...  He has the ability to COME back, and the ability to win!  all I care about

Johninminn.  Steelernation is in MANY stadiums.  We have many fans that take the 12th man out of the equation.  Don't be surprised to see many terrible towels waving this Sunday...  BTW  Do you watch games at the buffalo Tap down by Shokoppee?

183886[/snapback]

Yes. When I get the chance. Great place lead by TonyP. ;) Tommy Freekin Maddox give me a break. You'll be sitten on that towel believe me.

183796[/snapback]

Thing is that the Eagles have time to rest. Momentum isn't really an issue (for them, how to cope without T.O. is). And they are in the NFC. Competing with them won't be as easy.

The Colts face a dangerous situation if they don't play to their ability this week. They'll have to ramp it right up for next week, possibly against the same opponent.

My hope is they'll make the wise decision and play this game like it means something. ;)

Yes. When I get the chance.  Great place lead by TonyP. ;) Tommy Freekin Maddox give me a break.  You'll be sitten on that towel believe me.

183896[/snapback]

Drive by the place all the time. Heard it was good.

Tommy Maddox WAS our starter at the begining of the season you know... :blink: