Former Falcon who was suing NFL commits suicide

bbb

...I concede there are taxes, agents, and numerous other variables that make the estimate very rough, but the point is simple, the Detroit Lions player Dominic Raiola was very apt to say "I think when you sign up for this job, you know what you're getting into. I don't know if I could justify suing the league when I am done. I have so much fun playing the game, I really don't worry about it. It's common knowledge that people are going to suffer. Memory loss is going to come. You're hitting every time you step on the field. I am ready for it. It's worth it -- totally worth it. This is the best job in the world. I would never trade it for anything." ...

I'm sure there was a time when John Mackey and every other player suffering from concussion-related brain damage felt young and invincible, too.

I don't give a damn about lawsuits in this matter. My issue is with the NFL and the NFLPA and their acceptance of the idea that it's quite ok for former players, many of whom were directly responsible for it's booming popularity and the subsequent windfall enjoyed by the league and players today, to go without the best medical care in the best facilities available for as long as it's needed. There is simply no excuse for that.

The NFL and the NFLPA should be embarrassed. And it shouldn't have taken a lawsuit to get their attention.

Liability isn't the issue so much as the league and it's players owe it to former players that are suffering in very real ways as a result of playing the game. Whether they knew of the future consequences or not.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic