DrD's Mock Draft and 53 Man Roster

Thanks for clicking! Over the weekend I used PFW's draft value chart, and put together a mock draft and my 53-man roster

Draft Disclaimer: I started by identifying our biggest needs as WR, OT, LB, and CB (in no particular order). I then made a 4x4 chart that laid out approximately which players would be available at each position in each round (basically a much smaller version of PFW's chart). I then ran through the different scenarios of addressing all of our needs in different orders. As in, what happens if we go OT-WR-LB-CB vs LB-OT-WR-CB vs CB-LB-WR-OT, etc etc...

Looking at all of the outcomes, I identified what I think is the draft that adds the most talent at each position of need. My final version looks like:

1. Michael Floyd, WR Notre Dame (assuming Blackmon is gone or else he is the pick)

2. Lavonte David, LB Nebraska

3. Casey Hayward, CB Vanderbilt

4a. Brandon Mosley, OT Auburn

4b. Josh Norman, CB Coastal Carolina

5a. Nate Potter, OT Boise St

5b. Demario Davis, LB Arkansas St

6. Tank Carder, LB TCU

7a. Marquis Maze, WR Alabama

7b. Andrew Datko, OT Florida St

While I really like this draft and these players, I'm not necessarily married to anyone specific. If you want to argue we should pick Wagner (OLB) in round 2 instead of David, fine. I'm not going to pretend to have a full scouting report on these guys. I wanted to address some needs of lesser priority, such as backup QB, but when looking at who might be available in the 5th-7th rounds, there just wasnt a QB available that was worth sacrificing a better player for.

Final 53-Man Roster:

Lindell, K

Moorman, P

Sanborn, LS

Brown, C

Wood, C

Levitre, LG

Urbik, RG

Rinehart, G

Hairston, LT

Pears, RT

Mosely, OT

Potter, OT

Caussin, TE

Chandler, TE

Smith, TE

S. Johnson, WR

Floyd, WR

Nelson, WR

edit:Rooselvelt, WR

Easley, WR

Jones, WR

McIntyre, FB

Choice, RB

Jackson, RB

Spiller, RB

Fitzpatrick, QB

Thigpen, QB

Smith, QB/WR

K Williams, DT

Dareus, DT

Edwards, DT

Heard, DT

edit: S. Johnson, DT/DE

M Williams, DE

Anderson, DE

Kelsay, DE

Merriman, DE

Carrington, DE

Sheppard, ILB

Carder, ILB

Barnett, OLB

Morrison, OLB

David, OLB

Davis, LB

Florence, CB

Williams, CB

McKelvin, CB

Hayward, CB

Rogers, CB

Byrd, FS

Norman, CB/FS

Wilson, SS

Searcy, SS

Scott, S/LB

Practice Squad:

Maze, WR

Datko, OL

Jasper, G

C White, OLB

I do not believe McGee makes it through camp healthy. Or it is at least obvious that he can not keep up anymore.

If Merriman doesnt make it through camp, I replace him with Batten/Eddins

If Easley doesnt make it through camp, I replace him with Aiken or Maze

Could also send CB-Norman to Practice Squad (Wilson backup FS, and Scott backup SS) and keep another player (like a 5th DT).

What you think, folks?

I think that you have made a good effort here. I do think that with ten picks they will draft a QB mid or late.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way do the Bills keep 3 rooks as LBs on the final 53, especailly when that's half the depth chart, and cut Moats in the process. Moats has shown he can get to the QB, so he's got tremendous value, at least situationally. I also doubt they take a LB in round 2, when Wanny uses LB as a plug and play position with no need to spend lots of resources on them.

I don't disagree; our list of need positions has been trimmed considerably under the current leadership. My point was merely that we have four to five major needs, depending on your opinion of our young LBs and whether you think we're set at RT, and so several of those needs are going to be addressed outside the first three rounds. This isn't to say there isn't considerable talent available in those slots, I was just trying to give your mock a break from my (and others') initial reflex after seeing no OL drafted in the top three rounds.

As for your question, I honestly don't know what our major holes would be if we hit on all your picks, but I'll bite anyway. I'd like to see how guys like Chris White on the inside, and Batten and Moats on the outside, look in the 4-3 before I question our depth at LB, particularly with David, Davis, and Carder coming on board. You certainly accounted for our needs at WR and CB, in my opinion.

My biggest concern would likely still be at LT. I'm not sure whether we'd have an anchor at LT in Mosley, Potter, or Datko, but I'd love our depth and competition at RT (and possibly guard). I'd be hopeful, though, which is more than I've been able to say about our OL for several years.

I think Mosley could be a beast at RT, and Potter has experience at both tackle positions, and at guard. Datko, if his injuries are behind him, might actually be the best LT prospect of your draft crop-- a 7th round pick is a pretty small investment for a player of his talent-- I'd be thrilled if we drafted him.

Awesome, thanks for the in-depth feedback!

As we get closer to the draft, I'll probably do a 2nd version as I'm starting to agree with the arguments against taking so many LBs. If nothing else, keeping Chris White on the roster at ILB, and dropping Carder... maybe even taking only 1 CB as well. That gives me some wiggle room to make a couple of "reach" picks at backup QB and/or TE.

No way do the Bills keep 3 rooks as LBs on the final 53, especailly when that's half the depth chart, and cut Moats in the process. Moats has shown he can get to the QB, so he's got tremendous value, at least situationally. I also doubt they take a LB in round 2, when Wanny uses LB as a plug and play position with no need to spend lots of resources on them.

Im not sure where Moats fits in on the D. I like him, but I'm all for upgrading if possible.

WRT the bold, passing on talent for a lesser player at a different position is more of a Jauron Era move. If we have a chance to take a dynamic player (such as David, imo), then we should grab him over an OT that we just kinda like. Wanny may not prioritize LBs, but this administration does prioritize talent. And they have set themselves up to be able to take talent over need, which is exactly how you build through the draft successfully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CskH9ZJGo7s&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL4B2EF320AAC142C5

Awesome, thanks for the in-depth feedback!

As we get closer to the draft, I'll probably do a 2nd version as I'm starting to agree with the arguments against taking so many LBs. If nothing else, keeping Chris White on the roster at ILB, and dropping Carder... maybe even taking only 1 CB as well. That gives me some wiggle room to make a couple of "reach" picks at backup QB and/or TE.

I didn't look too closely at your final roster, but would agree that Chris White deserves another look. Apart from that, though, I like your original strategy. We need overall depth, and LBs and CBs are a great place to start-- both are war-torn positions, and if not beset by injuries, both provide solid special teams potential. They are also, historically, great positions to draft in the middle rounds, which is precisely where you took them. A backup QB would be nice, but we can always pluck a journeyman after the first round of roster cuts. I wouldn't choose a developmental guy over any of the players you picked.

And by the way, I loved your Tank Carder pick, and after seeing this video, you'll never again consider dropping him from you mocks.

youtube.com/watch?v=CskH9ZJGo7s&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL4B2EF320AAC142C5

I didn't look too closely at your final roster, but would agree that Chris White deserves another look. Apart from that, though, I like your original strategy. We need overall depth, and LBs and CBs are a great place to start-- both are war-torn positions, and if not beset by injuries, both provide solid special teams potential. They are also, historically, great positions to draft in the middle rounds, which is precisely where you took them. A backup QB would be nice, but we can always pluck a journeyman after the first round of roster cuts. I wouldn't choose a developmental guy over any of the players you picked.

And by the way, I loved your Tank Carder pick, and after seeing this video, you'll never again consider dropping him from you mocks.

Surfing Bulldog is all I need to see! SOLD! :thumbsup:

(dead serious btw)

I really like the post all around, I just don't see the value with Glenn at 10 whereas with Floyd it's obvious. We have had success with mid to late tackle prospects in the past and I don't really have much reason to doubt it now. Maybe taking one less lb and keeping moats would be a good idea but like everyone else, "I'd be doing backflips with this draft" for sure