MLB.TV

HopsGuy

I bought the MLB.TV app for my iPad and the season subscription. I've watched a couple spring training games and so far, so good. I think it's better than getting it through my cable provider (Time Warner) because every game is in HD. My greatest concern is that because I live in Charlotte, lots of Phillies games might be blacked-out because, get this - Charlotte is considered the territory of the Orioles, Nationals, Braves and Reds. That's nuts, but that's the way it goes.

I'm sure I'll be back here to whine the first time I'm blacked-out.

Bonus: The Phillies under 92 1/2 wins is a mortal lock. Still a good rotation with Halladay and Lee at the top and Hamels in a contract year. But Vance Worley had a monster rookie year with a rather lucky BABIP. He'll come back to earth. Kyle Kendrick is hit or miss. Middle relief is a question mark, but Papelbon should be quite an upgrade over Madson/Lidge/Contreras. The offense will probably continue to regress, especially when the right side of the infield is Ty Wiggington & Freddy Galvis rather than Ryan Howard & Chase Utley. The Nationals and Marlins are better, and 92.5 is a lot of wins, especially when we have an extra teams making the playoffs and that might be an incentive for Charlie Manuel to rest his aging lineup late in the season if it looks like they could cruise into the post-season with 87-90 wins.

Just my $0.02.

Anyway, baseball is back!

• 1 month later...

I'm sure I'll be back here to whine the first time I'm blacked-out.

As promised, this game is blacked out here in Charlotte because we're in Nationals territory, though Time-Warner Cable is in a dispute with MASN, so I'm unable to watch the game locally.

It's probably for the best because it's Strasburg vs. Kendrick. It's going to be ugly.

Also: My TV, a 5 year-old Panasonic 42" plasma doesn't much like the HD hookup from my iPad. It cuts out quite a bit and makes it unusable. I watch games on my sh!tty HP laptop. I'd try Apple TV, but I'm sure it's the same.

• 3 months later...

Two things:

(1) Totally right about the Phillies.

(2) Chipper Jones should not retire. He's still got a lot left and - seriously - what is he going to do? Run for office? C'mon!

Raise your hand if you had the Phillies and the RedSox dancing in October.

Chipper Jones. Class act. What a career. Sometimes it's admirable to go out like this.