The Entitlement Mentality

http://www.tmz.com/2012/03/31/octomom-nadya-suleman-welfare/

Octomom is doing what she swore she would never do -- go on welfare ... TMZ has learned.

The mother of 14 is getting $2,000 a month from the State of California. The money is deposited directly into a special debit card account (see above). The card can ONLY be used for food -- and it's closely monitored by the State to make sure the cardholder isn't making illegal purchases -- i.e., buying a bike at Costco.

It's a cruel twist, for a woman who vowed in 2010 -- a year after giving birth to octuplets -- she would NEVER go on welfare, saying she refused to become "a self-fulfilling prophecy" by accepting government assistance.

Octo qualified for the card because her income is less than $119,000 a year ... and a family of 15 that makes less than that amount is entitled to welfare benefits.

In the paper today - people were using their EBT cards to buy Mega Millions tickets.

It depends on the state I guess... I NEVER buy lottery tickets, but at Christmas time there was a "Lottery tree" at school... One of the trees were decorated with scratch off tickets that were donated. So I go to the local Shell gas station and try to purchase with my debit card (Visa)... The clerk says: "Sorry, cash only." I guess it is law that you have to buy them with cash. BUT, now I hear you can buy tickets online... ??? They must have changed that? Still scratch offs do have to be bought in person, so I suppose those are still cash only... ??