Compiling "Colts will play to win" sources

Ozymandius

First link: Indy Star - Dungy plans to use starters

"We're going out there to win," said Dungy, whose Colts (12-3) close the regular season Sunday at Denver (9-6). "I would like to win No. 13. We'd like to go (into the playoffs) with a nine-game winning streak. There are a lot of things that we want to do in terms of keeping that momentum and continuing to be sharp."

Dungy didn't say his starters would play into the fourth quarter, but he made it apparent that the game will not be a two-series shakedown for his No. 1 units.

It's quarterback Peyton Manning's preference to play against the Broncos.

"I'd like to keep our momentum going, so I'd like to go up to Denver and play and try to stay hot and try to get a win," he said during a halftime interview on ABC's "Monday Night Football" game between St. Louis and Philadelphia.

Second link: Denver post - Broncos expect Indy's best

Broncos safety John Lynch - who played for Dungy with Tampa Bay - said he thinks Dungy learned from a similar situation with the Buccaneers. In 2001, the Buccaneers hosted Philadelphia in the final game of the regular season, and Dungy rested his players in a meaningless 17-13 loss. The next week, Tampa Bay lost 31-9 at Philadelphia in the playoffs.

"We weren't as sharp as we could have been," Lynch said. "I think we'll get their best shot."

From that first link, I don't like the sound of this:

What matters to Dungy is whether they play their wild-card playoff game with the No. 6 seed on Jan. 8 or 9. The NFL will announce pairings and schedules after qualifiers are determined by this weekend's games.

"From our past history, the last couple of years, I think it depends on when the Jets are going to be able to play," he said. "I would say if we end up playing the Jets, I'm pretty sure we'll play on Sunday."

It sounds like Dungy would be more willing to go for the win if his playoff game is on Sunday instead of Saturday, i.e. Colts receive more rest. BUT, if the Jets win on Sunday against the Rams, they'll be locked into the #5 seed and will face San Diego the #4, and, according to Dungy's experience, that means the SD-Jets game will be the Sunday game and the Colts will have to play on Saturday.

So, the scenario where we'd need Indy the most -- Jets beat the Rams -- could be the scenario where Dungy is most unwilling to finish the game with his starters. On the other hand, if the Jets somehow manage to lose, then there's a very good chance Indy will go for the kill against Denver and give the Bills the #5 seed.

Or I'm reading too much into everything.

colts.com - Playing to Win

Nothing new here, but this quote clarifies Dungy's thoughts on the Sun/Sat thing a bit.

The possibility of playing a first-round game the following Saturday likely will influence his decision on how long to play players more than the possibility of key players being injured, Dungy said.

“I don’t worry about that so much,” Dungy said. “If I can get a feel about whether we’re playing (the opening-round playoff game) on Saturday or Sunday, that will weigh in to it a little bit more than any injuries. Going out there and then having to turn around and play on Saturday, that would go into my decision-making. But if we’re fairly certain we’re going to play on Sunday, we’ll treat it as a normal game.”

colts.com - Playing to Win

Nothing new here, but this quote clarifies Dungy's thoughts on the Sun/Sat thing a bit.

The possibility of playing a first-round game the following Saturday likely will influence his decision on how long to play players more than the possibility of key players being injured, Dungy said.

“I don’t worry about that so much,” Dungy said. “If I can get a feel about whether we’re playing (the opening-round playoff game) on Saturday or Sunday, that will weigh in to it a little bit more than any injuries. Going out there and then having to turn around and play on Saturday, that would go into my decision-making. But if we’re fairly certain we’re going to play on Sunday, we’ll treat it as a normal game.”

182737[/snapback]

Cool login name, man.

I've seen that somewhere before, methinks.

From that first link, I don't like the sound of this:

What matters to Dungy is whether they play their wild-card playoff game with the No. 6 seed on Jan. 8 or 9. The NFL will announce pairings and schedules after qualifiers are determined by this weekend's games.

"From our past history, the last couple of years, I think it depends on when the Jets are going to be able to play," he said. "I would say if we end up playing the Jets, I'm pretty sure we'll play on Sunday."

It sounds like Dungy would be more willing to go for the win if his playoff game is on Sunday instead of Saturday, i.e. Colts receive more rest.  BUT, if the Jets win on Sunday against the Rams, they'll be locked into the #5 seed and will face San Diego the #4, and, according to Dungy's experience, that means the SD-Jets game will be the Sunday game and the Colts will have to play on Saturday.

So, the scenario where we'd need Indy the most -- Jets beat the Rams -- could be the scenario where Dungy is most unwilling to finish the game with his starters.  On the other hand, if the Jets somehow manage to lose, then there's a very good chance Indy will go for the kill against Denver and give the Bills the #5 seed.

Or I'm reading too much into everything.

182533[/snapback]

Huh???? Do you have any idea how hard it is to read these confusing scenarios with that guy banging on the cowbell the whole time????

Thanks, JoeSixPack, you've got a mean moniker yourself.

ESPN Insider - Mort says Dungy will follow Noll

This is a Mort piece on espn... you need to have Insider to read... here's the excerpt on the Colts....

"We're going out there to win," Dungy said. "I would like to win No. 13. We'd like to go in with a nine-game winning streak. There are a lot of things that we want to do in terms of keeping that momentum and continuing to be sharp."

Later, in his office, Dungy elaborated as his son Eric voted to rest Manning, Edgerrin James, Marvin Harrison, et al, just as Reid did with his stars Monday night.

Dungy is taking his cue from his experience under former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Chuck Noll. Dungy said the Hall of Fame coach wanted his team to "practice and play precisely" going into the playoffs, that he wanted nothing to change. Still, there is some wiggle room.

For instance, Dungy said he could pull in the reins earlier if the Colts were asked by the NFL to play on Saturday, Jan. 8, instead of Sunday, Jan. 9. However, it is likely the Colts will be asked to play the early game on CBS on that Sunday.

The Colts also have some pretty banged up defensive players, especially at linebacker. They may need to rest. If something happens during the game that gives cause for scare – like one of those young guards missing more blocks that lead to Manning and James getting exposed to injury, Dungy will react in the best interests of the team.

But the best interests of the team – as Madden, Dungy and Manning suggest – just might be playing to win.

That can't be wrong.