Mad Men ...season five

Buftex

I hear you..."Mad Men", "Breaking Bad" and "Boardwalk Empire" are clearly the cream of the crop..."The Killing" may be the worst "critically acclaimed" show I have ever seen.

Don's dream sequence was kind of a jolt, huh? For a minute I thought the show had taken the most unexpected of turns. I have had similar dreams...

It was a weird for me because I almost never recognize a dream sequence, but this time I knew it right away. [Yay, me!] Don is now 40 and understands that he actually has it great, but is worried his past will destroy him... the same fear he had that his 'Dick Whitman' past would be discovered. Anyone think of Bobbie Barrett when he was choking out his elevator friend, or is that just me?

As for "The Killing", I'm still with it. The cinematography, editing and acting more than makes up for the poor decisions with the story (for me). I'm waiting out the show to put Linden in something other than a heavy sweater. The payoff will be fantastic.

Or not.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a weird for me because I almost never recognize a dream sequence, but this time I knew it right away. [Yay, me!] Don is now 40 and understands that he actually has it great, but is worried his past will destroy him... the same fear he had that his 'Dick Whitman' past would be discovered. Anyone think of Bobbie Barrett when he was choking out his elevator friend, or is that just me?

As for "The Killing", I'm still with it. The cinematography, editing and acting more than makes up for the poor decisions with the story (for me). I'm waiting out the show to put Linden in something other than a heavy sweater. The payoff will be fantastic.

Or not.

Did they say who killed Rosie yet?

Who was this elevator chick? Was she one from previous seasons or another Don conquest that we just didn't know about?

Did they say who killed Rosie yet?

Who was this elevator chick? Was she one from previous seasons or another Don conquest that we just didn't know about?

Not yet and they've thrown in Stan's relation to the Polish mob in, along with some unidentified employee of Stan's with a Japanese anime tattoo. It's quite a mess.

The elevator chick was just some woman from Don's past. She's never been on the show before. BTW, Anna Draper showed up on "Modern Family" last night. She seems to have been cured of polio, but ended up marrying a closeted friend of Mitch and Cam. Poor girl can't catch a break.

Lane had a black gf in season 4. His father cracked him in the skull with cane when he came over from England . She was a bunny at the playboy club.

I miss Dr. Faye Miller already. :cry:

Being a big "Sopranos" fan, not sure how it slipped by me...but the chick who played Faye Miller, also played Christopher Molitsanti's wife on the last season of the "Sopranos"...she was dark haired in that...

Layne seems to have the roving eye...I could see him connecting with Dawn, or, perhaps more surprisingly, Joan. They seem to have a mutual respect for one another that nobody else seems to have for them.

Being a big "Sopranos" fan, not sure how it slipped by me...but the chick who played Faye Miller, also played Christopher Molitsanti's wife on the last season of the "Sopranos"...she was dark haired in that...

Layne seems to have the roving eye...I could see him connecting with Dawn, or, perhaps more surprisingly, Joan. They seem to have a mutual respect for one another that nobody else seems to have for them.

Yea, I think she was introduced when Christopher bought his house. I vaguely remember her freaking out to what Paulie did to the front lawn. :w00t:

Yea, I think she was introduced when Christopher bought his house. I vaguely remember her freaking out to what Paulie did to the front lawn. :w00t:

I recall a scene where she was breast-feeding her baby, and somebody (Paulie I think) was zoning in on her breasts...

Not yet and they've thrown in Stan's relation to the Polish mob in, along with some unidentified employee of Stan's with a Japanese anime tattoo. It's quite a mess.

The elevator chick was just some woman from Don's past. She's never been on the show before. BTW, Anna Draper showed up on "Modern Family" last night. She seems to have been cured of polio, but ended up marrying a closeted friend of Mitch and Cam. Poor girl can't catch a break.

Oh God - I'm so glad to not be watching that show anymore. All the red herrings drove me crazy, but I thought I'd be paid off in the end. I hope you're the only one watching it!

Thanks for the info on the elevator chick.

Lane had a black gf in season 4. His father cracked him in the skull with cane when he came over from England . She was a bunny at the playboy club.

I miss Dr. Faye Miller already. :cry:

I forgot about that -- that was a great story line. Lane getting jerked back into line by his old school father.

I miss Faye too. Good character and a hottie.

I thought Lane was a hair away from trying to jump on Joan during her office visit a couple episodes ago. Will be interesting to see what happens now that she's back on the market.

Edited by KD in CT

Oh God - I'm so glad to not be watching that show anymore. All the red herrings drove me crazy, but I thought I'd be paid off in the end. I hope you're the only one watching it!

Thanks for the info on the elevator chick.

Funny, when "The Killing" started, it got such rave reviews, and since AMC seemed to be on such a role (Mad Men, Breaking Bad) I wathced the entir first season...but I started hating myself for it after about 5 episodes. When the lady cop was following the "scruffy cop" partner that she was "thrown togetehr" with, and finds out that he isn't up to anything at all, but is sneaking off to AA meetings, I almost smashed the television. Even my gf, who I think is not the most discriminating of television watchers, hated it by the end of the season...we swore, no matter how bored, or how much we might have to talk to eachother more to avoid it, we would never watch that show again...

Funny, when "The Killing" started, it got such rave reviews, and since AMC seemed to be on such a role (Mad Men, Breaking Bad) I wathced the entir first season...but I started hating myself for it after about 5 episodes. When the lady cop was following the "scruffy cop" partner that she was "thrown togetehr" with, and finds out that he isn't up to anything at all, but is sneaking off to AA meetings, I almost smashed the television. Even my gf, who I think is not the most discriminating of television watchers, hated it by the end of the season...we swore, no matter how bored, or how much we might have to talk to eachother more to avoid it, we would never watch that show again...

LOL - good plan! Last year, that show got so much buzz. And, now if it didn't happen to be advertised during my DVR of Mad Men, I wouldn't even know it was back on already.

LOL - good plan! Last year, that show got so much buzz. And, now if it didn't happen to be advertised during my DVR of Mad Men, I wouldn't even know it was back on already.

It was weird how the audience turned on the show after a few red-herrings (Ahmed, Belco). The nature of a murder mystery is to have a red-herring or two (e.g. the board game "Clue"). The real vitriol happened when the show wasn't tied up in a nice bow at the end of the first season like the Danish version.

BTW, the NA meeting helped as a plot device early this season as Linden needed to find Holder's sponsor.

I'm not saying the show is perfect. It has it's flaws, but I kinda like it. Folks who want a nice murder mystery don't like the way this show stitches together a deeper story. It's interesting to watch so many lives change after "The Killing". Michelle Forbes should win something for playing such a difficult character.

Now back to "Mad Men". Peggy absolutely torturing Roger was fantastic. Loved watching her count that money. $400 in 1966 is about $2800 today. The bribe Harry took to switch offices with Pete cost Roger about $7800 in today's dollars. Roger has a lot of walking-around money.

It was weird how the audience turned on the show after a few red-herrings (Ahmed, Belco). The nature of a murder mystery is to have a red-herring or two (e.g. the board game "Clue"). The real vitriol happened when the show wasn't tied up in a nice bow at the end of the first season like the Danish version.

BTW, the NA meeting helped as a plot device early this season as Linden needed to find Holder's sponsor.

I'm not saying the show is perfect. It has it's flaws, but I kinda like it. Folks who want a nice murder mystery don't like the way this show stitches together a deeper story. It's interesting to watch so many lives change after "The Killing". Michelle Forbes should win something for playing such a difficult character.

Now back to "Mad Men". Peggy absolutely torturing Roger was fantastic. Loved watching her count that money. $400 in 1966 is about $2800 today. The bribe Harry took to switch offices with Pete cost Roger about $7800 in today's dollars. Roger has a lot of walking-around money.

I am a very patient viewer...I like things that unfold at a slower pace, if they are good...it wouldn't have bothered me at all if the case took the entire course of the series to be solved...in fact, I would think that was great. But it was more than a "couple of red herrings"....nearly every episode was so over the top contrived to make you think one thing, only to have it defused within minutes of the next episode, to the point where there was no real reason to watch it, for me. Also, the two cops (Holder and the other, I can't even remember the ladies name anymore) would have to be two of the worst homicide detetectives ever!

I do agree, I like the look and feel of the show...but I also hate the whole political campaign angle...it is so cheesy and cliche...agree that Michelle Forbes is a fine tv actress...loved her since she was Ensign Roe on Star Trek The Next Generation...also, that season finale was just the most atrocious writing ever, for a "good" show. I know, I am being a little harsh, and this is certainly better than, say, CSI Miami or something like that...but not a lot better, IMO

Sorry...I still respect you for watching it, since you do like "Mad Men"! Obviously a man of taste! :P That is a show I can get behind! Season has been terrific so far. I almost had the feeling, last season, that Rodger would sort of be "phased out", but he has been back, and better than ever. Pete has taken on an interesting backbone too...not sure how things are going to end up for Don and Megan Draper, but I don't think it is going to be good.

Edited by Buftex

This is my last Killing bashing. I actually didn't like the feel all that much. I did at the beginning, but after awhile I was sooo sick of the rain!

I love Roger - he is definitely my favorite character.

Two of the people I pay attention to the most - on a daily basis - are Tony Kornheiser and his "nephew" Bill Simmons. I listen to Tony's radio show and read and sometimes listen to Simmons as much as possible.

They both were the same as Buf and myself - loved The Killing, the hung on just to see who killed her, then totally crushed it after the finale. I couldn't get enough of their vitriol! I was so mad.

And, neither has even mentioned that it's back. Though both have talked a ton about Mad Men - Simmons more through his Grantland site than he himself.

So, just when I am praising Pete for being virtuous, he shows his true colors...classic episode!

Roger: "I know cooler heads should prevail, but am I the only one who wants to see this?" :lol:

Such a great show...I always wish it was longer, every week.

Wow..the Killing really drags and drags. Interesting Madmen episode though. Draper seems to finding his moral center at least as it relates to his relationship with his wife.

I think he has been working on this for some time...at some point, he felt more empathy for Betty, despite her increasing bitterness to him. The dream sequence last week seemed to reveal that he wants to be a "good husband, good father" but is still struggling with it. The scene of he and Pete in the back seat of the taxi was just so well done, it said it all, so easily.

I think he has been working on this for some time...at some point, he felt more empathy for Betty, despite her increasing bitterness to him. The dream sequence last week seemed to reveal that he wants to be a "good husband, good father" but is still struggling with it. The scene of he and Pete in the back seat of the taxi was just so well done, it said it all, so easily.

We had gotten to a point where Pete had become the likable character (besides Peggy) and that was changed in one of the best hours of "Mad Men" we've seen (IMHO). The show really examined relationships at SCDP. Both Don and Ken want to keep their work lives separate from their home lives, while Pete sees no delineation. Trudy follows this line and intends to "do what is expected of her" and have the dinner party with the men and their wives. Pete sees Ken's secret writing as a problem with being a full-on Company Man, and rats him out to Roger. But Pete was really burned by how Don stripped down to his Cape and t-shirt to fix his already fixed plumbing.

At the office, Lane sees his position held tenuously because people see that Joan can actually run the office. He uses a friendship with an English chum to get Jaguar on the books. Pete sees through this attempt and knows that Lane isn't a true Account Man and tosses the advice task over to Professor of Accounts Emeritus, Roger. The scene where Roger tells Lane how to approach a client for the right answers on the RFP shows that Roger actually has some chops beyond knowing how to pick up a check. None of this works, of course, so Don, Pete & Roger must take the old boy out for some ###-ing. Vincent Kartheiser is so great in the scene with blonde, you really think this guy is Pete. "No.... No.... Okay." Good stuff. The whole thing blows up in their faces when the client's wife finds out. The lesson as always kids - always check your pubis for gum.

The fight scene at work was fantastic. Lane of Queensbury puts down Pete in fantastic form. Then he puts the moves on Joanie. Mrs. Harris, always in control at the office is sympathetic and professional at all times. Red is back!

In the penultimate scene is Don and Pete on the elevator (probably should refer to it as a lift in deference to Lane). Pete states "We supposed to be friends." Back in Driver's Ed, the Hansome-Kid-From-Suburgatory is putting the moves on the hottie that Pete had been eyeing up and the faucet continues to drip. Pete - it's the gasket.

Also:

* Kenny and Peggy have a pact where if they move, they move together.

* Cynthia!

* Disappointed the "Chip & Dip" from Season one didn't make an appearance at the party. They did mention the rifle, though.

* Ken takes on a new nom de plume incorporating "Algonquin". Nice.

* Wilt Chamberlain could fit in your stereo in the 60s.

So, just when I am praising Pete for being virtuous, he shows his true colors...classic episode!

Roger: "I know cooler heads should prevail, but am I the only one who wants to see this?" :lol:

Such a great show...I always wish it was longer, every week.

I was LOLg at that line! And, then after it was over, he says "I don't know about you two, but I had Lane."

Spot on review, HopsGuy. That episode was one of the best episodes I've seen of TV since NYPD went off the air. Those used to end and I'd Wow and I did it this time again.

We had gotten to a point where Pete had become the likable character (besides Peggy) and that was changed in one of the best hours of "Mad Men" we've seen (IMHO). The show really examined relationships at SCDP. Both Don and Ken want to keep their work lives separate from their home lives, while Pete sees no delineation. Trudy follows this line and intends to "do what is expected of her" and have the dinner party with the men and their wives. Pete sees Ken's secret writing as a problem with being a full-on Company Man, and rats him out to Roger. But Pete was really burned by how Don stripped down to his Cape and t-shirt to fix his already fixed plumbing.

At the office, Lane sees his position held tenuously because people see that Joan can actually run the office. He uses a friendship with an English chum to get Jaguar on the books. Pete sees through this attempt and knows that Lane isn't a true Account Man and tosses the advice task over to Professor of Accounts Emeritus, Roger. The scene where Roger tells Lane how to approach a client for the right answers on the RFP shows that Roger actually has some chops beyond knowing how to pick up a check. None of this works, of course, so Don, Pete & Roger must take the old boy out for some ###-ing. Vincent Kartheiser is so great in the scene with blonde, you really think this guy is Pete. "No.... No.... Okay." Good stuff. The whole thing blows up in their faces when the client's wife finds out. The lesson as always kids - always check your pubis for gum.

The fight scene at work was fantastic. Lane of Queensbury puts down Pete in fantastic form. Then he puts the moves on Joanie. Mrs. Harris, always in control at the office is sympathetic and professional at all times. Red is back!

In the penultimate scene is Don and Pete on the elevator (probably should refer to it as a lift in deference to Lane). Pete states "We supposed to be friends." Back in Driver's Ed, the Hansome-Kid-From-Suburgatory is putting the moves on the hottie that Pete had been eyeing up and the faucet continues to drip. Pete - it's the gasket.

Also:

* Kenny and Peggy have a pact where if they move, they move together.

* Cynthia!

* Disappointed the "Chip & Dip" from Season one didn't make an appearance at the party. They did mention the rifle, though.

* Ken takes on a new nom de plume incorporating "Algonquin". Nice.

* Wilt Chamberlain could fit in your stereo in the 60s.

Did anyone notice this reference?

http://gothamist.com/2012/04/16/mad_mens_latest_historical_referenc.php