Mad Men ...season five

Buftex

HopsGuy - I just saw an ad for The Killing and made me think of this question. The question that killed the whole series off for me.........Who was the guy who got in the car with Holder (is that the cop's name) at the very end last year, and made it seem like they rigged the photo of the mayoral candidate's car at that bridge? What was the explanation for that?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HopsGuy - I just saw an ad for The Killing and made me think of this question. The question that killed the whole series off for me.........Who was the guy who got in the car with Holder (is that the cop's name) at the very end last year, and made it seem like they rigged the photo of the mayoral candidate's car at that bridge? What was the explanation for that?

The guy in the car with Holder was a former cop that was working with the mayor to frame councilman Richmond. He completely played Holder and later taunted him by saying something like, "You think you got promoted to homicide because you're a good cop?"

Right now, the show is completely off the rails. Linden's badge was taken by Duck Phillips and the evil mastermind is the Indian tribe chief that looks like a deckhand on the Wizard. "Hey, Gwen is back!" - said nobody.

The guy in the car with Holder was a former cop that was working with the mayor to frame councilman Richmond. He completely played Holder and later taunted him by saying something like, "You think you got promoted to homicide because you're a good cop?"

Right now, the show is completely off the rails. Linden's badge was taken by Duck Phillips and the evil mastermind is the Indian tribe chief that looks like a deckhand on the Wizard. "Hey, Gwen is back!" - said nobody.

Holy crap - am I ever glad I'm not watching! Thanks for the answer........That show has just totally disappeared from the zeitgeist. Last year, I saw and heard all kinds of talk about it. This year I have not seen a single tweet or anything. If I didn't see the commercials when I'm watching my DVRd Mad Men, I'd have no idea it was back already.

And, another good episode of Mad Men. Betty getting pissed when Sally played her cards perfectly in the kitchen was a great scene.

Holy crap - am I ever glad I'm not watching! Thanks for the answer........That show has just totally disappeared from the zeitgeist. Last year, I saw and heard all kinds of talk about it. This year I have not seen a single tweet or anything. If I didn't see the commercials when I'm watching my DVRd Mad Men, I'd have no idea it was back already.

And, another good episode of Mad Men. Betty getting pissed when Sally played her cards perfectly in the kitchen was a great scene.

Agreed on "The Killing".

Lots of interesting things going on on "Mad Men". I think Betty's story (I realize a lot of people are at the "who cares" point with Betty) is kind of sad. Also kind of an important story. If I am doing my math right, Don is 40 in 1966...so he would actually be about 4 years older than my parents. I would bet that there were a lot of Betty Drapers born in that time...the show does have a bit of feminist POV from time to time, in between all the drinking and screwing. We kind of see the younger Megan, the "modern girl" who is pursuing her whims, while Betty took the older, more traditional approach, as far as what would have been expected of someone like her, during those times. So, now, her happiness is a casualty of the times. So, she eats...she eats a little too much, and hates herself for it...but she can't stop, because she is always hungry. But, along the way, despite her nasty turn in regards to telling Don's secret to Sally, she has become a better mother...her coldness with her children seems to have dissipated this season. I wonder if that was a conscious thing on Weiners' part, maybe succumbing, a little, to the fan sites that seem to have grown to hate the Betty Draper character.

Also, seems like the "kids" at Sterling Cooper Draper & Pryce (Peggy and her crew) are starting to get a sense that what they do for a living isn't all that honorable. Peggy seemed almost envious of Megan's boldness in just quitting her job...a job that Peggy thought was her dream job. Also, it seems like something big is going to happen with Ginsberg...there is a big story with him that is going untold...it seems like he is going to become more than a bit player. Did you think Don "forgetting" Ginsbergs work, at the Sno-Ball meeting was Don being jealous, insecure and petty...or just knowing that his idea was the best? Early on, when that character came on board, I was sure that he and Peggy were going to be together...but I think he is there for something bigger...like something is going to boil over with he and Don.

Ah...well, another good 48 minutes of tv!

Lots of interesting things going on on "Mad Men". I think Betty's story (I realize a lot of people are at the "who cares" point with Betty) is kind of sad. Also kind of an important story. If I am doing my math right, Don is 40 in 1966...so he would actually be about 4 years older than my parents. I would bet that there were a lot of Betty Drapers born in that time...the show does have a bit of feminist POV from time to time, in between all the drinking and screwing. We kind of see the younger Megan, the "modern girl" who is pursuing her whims, while Betty took the older, more traditional approach, as far as what would have been expected of someone like her, during those times. So, now, her happiness is a casualty of the times. So, she eats...she eats a little too much, and hates herself for it...but she can't stop, because she is always hungry. But, along the way, despite her nasty turn in regards to telling Don's secret to Sally, she has become a better mother...her coldness with her children seems to have dissipated this season. I wonder if that was a conscious thing on Weiners' part, maybe succumbing, a little, to the fan sites that seem to have grown to hate the Betty Draper character.

Betty clearly had a strong reaction to seeing the fab apartment (Betty was a city girl originally too), and catching a glimps of Megan changing and looking as good as Betty once did; and then the love note really pushed her over the edge. Sally again shows she's wiser than her years by not giving Betty the satasfaction after she realized Betty used her.

The whole feminine movement is a great undercurrent for the show. Last season a lot of focus was on respect (and lack of) in the workplace with Peggy & Joan. Peggy used to cower in Don's presense; now she doesn't think twice about telling him to stick it (the botched Cool-Whip demo) or forcing Roger to pay up if he wants help. This season it's back to the desparate housewives -- Betty is miserable, Joan basically forced back to work and of course Pete's new love interest who seems to be on the verge of throwing herself off a bridge. btw...awesome office fantasy Pete.

I love that Roger has now gone out of pocket for favors from 3 employees. He's like the office ATM.

Also, seems like the "kids" at Sterling Cooper Draper & Pryce (Peggy and her crew) are starting to get a sense that what they do for a living isn't all that honorable. Peggy seemed almost envious of Megan's boldness in just quitting her job...a job that Peggy thought was her dream job. Also, it seems like something big is going to happen with Ginsberg...there is a big story with him that is going untold...it seems like he is going to become more than a bit player. Did you think Don "forgetting" Ginsbergs work, at the Sno-Ball meeting was Don being jealous, insecure and petty...or just knowing that his idea was the best? Early on, when that character came on board, I was sure that he and Peggy were going to be together...but I think he is there for something bigger...like something is going to boil over with he and Don.

That was certainly the most intreging part of the episode. Don wanting to see if he still has it? Putting Ginsberg in his place after Ginsberg was a little condesceding in the ideas meeting in Don's offce? It's not like Don to feel threatended by a co-worker. And of course he asserts his dominance with the cutting line as he exits the elevator.

That was certainly the most intreging part of the episode. Don wanting to see if he still has it? Putting Ginsberg in his place after Ginsberg was a little condesceding in the ideas meeting in Don's offce? It's not like Don to feel threatended by a co-worker. And of course he asserts his dominance with the cutting line as he exits the elevator.

Yeah... also, they are starting to vaugely define Don's awareness that he may be "out of touch" with things...the week before, playing "Tomorrow Never Knows" (maybe my all-time favorite Beatles-Lennon song, or possibly "Don't Let Me Down") at Megans' suggestion...the shot afterwards, of him getting up out his chair and heading to bed...did he like what he heard, or was he just un-affected by it?

Yeah... also, they are starting to vaugely define Don's awareness that he may be "out of touch" with things...the week before, playing "Tomorrow Never Knows" (maybe my all-time favorite Beatles-Lennon song, or possibly "Don't Let Me Down") at Megans' suggestion...the shot afterwards, of him getting up out his chair and heading to bed...did he like what he heard, or was he just un-affected by it?

Both. He understands the world is changing, but he's not old enough to dismiss it like Roger and not young enough to embrace it like Ginsberg. Stuck in the middle; in the end he'll need Megan more than she needs him. I wonder what happens when she realizes that.

I listened to Tomorrow Never Knows about 100 times last week. I never really knew that song. It was a great choice to pay $200K for, as the show did - something that was more poppy would not have had the same effect.

I listened to Tomorrow Never Knows about 100 times last week. I never really knew that song. It was a great choice to pay $200K for, as the show did - something that was more poppy would not have had the same effect.

Yes, that is a great song...it was kind of one of the earliest Beatles "higher conscious" songs...that and "Don't Let Me Down" battle it out as my favorite Lennon songs, with the Beatles...

Loved the return of Paul Kinsey in last nights episode...as a Hare Krishna no less...with "The Negron Complex" script...brilliant story line... :lol:

Layne is now my runner-up for the office window...

Edited by Buftex

I haven't watched my DVR yet. Was at a cookout all night. But, I am going to go ahead and assume that Bill Simmons' tweet was about Mad Men:

Bill Simmons ‏@sportsguy33

"Let's pretend I'm not responsible for every single good thing that's happened to you." There is no greater show.

I'm thinking Roger telling Don.

I haven't watched my DVR yet. Was at a cookout all night. But, I am going to go ahead and assume that Bill Simmons' tweet was about Mad Men:

Bill Simmons ‏@sportsguy33

"Let's pretend I'm not responsible for every single good thing that's happened to you." There is no greater show.

I'm thinking Roger telling Don.

Another fine episode, but a little dirty... we got to see Don at his best, and absolute worst.

Edited by Buftex

This was a WOW episode! As Simmmons said - There is no greater show.

I wonder how Joanie can live with how she became a partner? I wonder how Peggy stays a part of the show at another firm. She is so good..........Did not expect The Kinks to come blasting seemingly out of the elevator!

What a delicious race to the bottom this season has been!

That episode reminded me of one of an exercise in ethics class where you had to rank everyone's behavior from least to more reprehensible and then analyze the rankings. I'll start:

-Peggy

-Megan

-Don

-Roger

-Joan

-Lane

-Pete

Yeah, I didn't think I'd be laughing in that scene!!

Yes, that was really funny...I have been predicting that either Pete or Layne was going to be dead by the end of the season...but I was still surprised. They handled it very well. I am wondering if Laynes' death, and Don's role in it, are going to be a turning point for Draper...I can see, by the end of the series, Don Draper being very disillusioned with his world, and "dropping out", so to speak, on the west coast somewhere. His whole "rant" at the meeting with the Dow/Corning people seemed to indicate a new awareness in Don. Loved the conversation with the kid in the elevator at the end....

Speaking of creepy kid, could Megan be the new object of his affections...ala Betty way back in the first season?

Can't say it enough how great this show is...who would think we would lose two major characters in back to back weeks? The world is changing on "Mad Men". Joan got ahead the old fashioned way, while Peggy got ahead in a more masculine way... the intersection of the old and the new...and Don Draper seems kind of caught in the middle of the road.

Edited by Buftex

Do you think Peggy is gone forever? She gets 2nd billing after Jon Hamm, so I can't see her leaving. Especially, since everybody seems to have been keyed on her character since the beginning as the symbol of times a changin

Do you think Peggy is gone forever? She gets 2nd billing after Jon Hamm, so I can't see her leaving. Especially, since everybody seems to have been keyed on her character since the beginning as the symbol of times a changin

I have no doubt she will appear again, but I don't think it will be as a regular. I know the "Sopranos" comparisons are probably tiresome, but this show is so similar in so many subtle ways...one of them is they are not afraid to say goodbye...and sentiment is not a high priority.

As we know there are only two seasons left of the show, I am reminded by something that Weiner said, a few times, in all the publicity leading up to the new season, after the long hiatus. Namely (paraphrasing) "people come and go when you least expect it, just as in real life", and "this is one man's story"...that one man, I assume, is Don Draper. I could see this show being set in a different city, with all new faces, except Don. It may sound like a recipe for disaster, but I trust Matt Weiner knows what he is doing.

Edited by Buftex