Stop the run

There is no question that the Bills have one of the best D lines in the NFL now, if not the best. They brought in two very good pass rushers this off season , so where there was very little pass rush now the Bills could be stacked with Williams, Anderson, Merrimen, Kelsay!

They fixed the pass rush, now what about the run defense. My question is will they be able to stop the run? The Bills have been one of the worst teams in the NFL against the run for a decade. Not since Pat Williams & London Fletcher have the Bills had a run stuffing defense. Two years ago the bills set a set a record for being the worst defense against the run in the history of the 50 year franchise. Last year they were 28th against the run, and I don't know what was worse last season, the run defense or pass rush. 28th against the run, 19th against the pass.

Bill Belichick and the Patriots currently have Brady in a spread offense most of the time it seems and the Pats have been setting offensive passing records, but not winning super bowls. Its a passing league now ...right?

I gotta wonder if Belichick will ever wake up and figure out that he used a more conventional offense to win super bowls in 2001 & 2003. First with ex - Bill RB Antowain Smith / RB Kevin Faulk and Smith in the I formation. Then in 2004 with clock killin RB Corey Dillon / RB Kevin Faulk, and they even had Larry Centers at fullback. The current patriots don't even have a fullback on the roster.

Man I hope the Bills can change this...NE Patriots,AFC EAST Division Champs 2001-2003-2004-2005-2006-2007-2009-2010-2011

Buddy Nix stated the team can never have enough good DB's. I think they need to get way better at the LB position before adding more DB's JMO

HEY! a new post and not one mention of you know who :nana:

"There is no question that the Bills have one of the best D lines in the NFL now, if not the best."

San Fran, Giants, Chicago, Houston, Vikes? What you are saying is we went from near last as a D Line to first or second?? These guys are still out there buying houses and cars and spending money on high def tv's...they haven't played a down of football yet. On paper they look impressive and we are all optimistic - I can't personally say they are the best or even one of the best at this time.

I agree on LB's...DRAFT.

Our biggest problem last year vs the run was the lack of 3-4 talent. Our weakest part of our team defense was LB and we tried to put FOUR of them out there. Only Barnett and to a much lesser extent B Scott were worth much.

My memory was that we were actually pretty good compared to recent years vs the run. <bear with me here> We'd regularly stuff runs to three yard or under gain. But, unfortunately, one LB or more would all-too-often blow an assignment and give up a HUGE running play dramatically skewing the YPR average. This coupled with the fact we had absolutely no pashrush letting teams consistently get 1st downs meant that teams ran enough times to get MANY large runs against us. We were 3rd worst at giving up 20+ yard rushes. We were 6th worst at 1st downs given up per game (even through the crappy weather outdoor games).

With our switch to 4-3 we're playing more DL (our strength) and less LB (our weakness). With the return of a pashrush we should presumably be able reduce the number of 1st downs given up per game and give less chances for our opponents to have big plays.

With Wanny's simplified 4-3 and a potentially great pashrush I'm excited for this season!

"There is no question that the Bills have one of the best D lines in the NFL now, if not the best."

San Fran, Giants, Chicago, Houston, Vikes? What you are saying is we went from near last as a D Line to first or second?? These guys are still out there buying houses and cars and spending money on high def tv's...they haven't played a down of football yet. On paper they look impressive and we are all optimistic - I can't personally say they are the best or even one of the best at this time.

I agree on LB's...DRAFT.

I remember a time in the 1990's, when the Cardinals were set to have the "best line in the league" and it never materialized. I want to see it on the field.