Updated Depth Chart

To me, it is a matter of numbers, roster spots, age, and money. I don't see how they keep Edwards, although he is a decent player and could easily play DT in a 4-3. At almost 4 million a year, I just don't see the snaps for him to make it worth it. To me, it's the difference between playing Mark Anderson 7 mil a year or 4 mil a year by releasing Edwards (and then having to pay another back-up role player at another position, like, say, Derek Hagan, 1 mil).

Mario and Anderson are sure things at end. Kelsay and Merriman are sure things at end (if only because Merriman's money is almost all guaranteed now).

Kyle and Dareus are sure things at DT. To me, both Troup and Carrington are sure things because of their age, potential, draft spot, Nix guys and low money. Troup will play DT and Carrington is valuable as either DT/DE. I also think Spencer Johnson is almost a sure thing because he has versatility too. It's possible Heard would get the nod over him to save another 3 mil. But with Johnson, that's 9 defensive linemen which I think are making a total of 54 mil this year (I saw that figure from another source).

Add 4 for Edwards and it's 58 mil, without a true position to play. Even without Anderson I considered Edwards on the bubble. Carrington is going to get some snaps. With his and Spencer Johnson's ability to play both inside and outside, and I also expect Mario to play a little inside on passing downs if Merriman has anything left in the tank, I think Edwards is something we do not need and cannot afford and his 4 million would be wisely spent elsewhere.

I agree with what you said about Edwards and Johnson, if you just switched Johnson and Edwards around... There is no incentive to keep Spencer in my opinion, they make almost the same amount of money, play exactly the same position, Spencer only has one year left and less of a cap hit if cut, and Dwan is just SO much better of a player, Spencer and Dwan are the same size but Spencer NEVER pushed Dwan for playing time as far as I could see. Dwan played DT in most of our 4 man pass rushing fronts last year, not Johnson... I also see no reason to have positional limits on money spent, and I also would rather not have players like Derek Hagan on the team if it means we have to cut someone who will instantly get picked up and paid more than he was making here, like Edwards would. If I were GM, I would keep all of the best players as long as the team is under the cap and only worry about cutting guys after they have been replaced by better players. I am a total non-believer in cutting players just to create cap room, or because I think that there is too much money tied into one area. It makes sense to cut players once you replace them with someone better.. Unless you are on the cusp of signing someone and need room... As of right now the best D lineman on the team are- in order if healthy: Mario Williams, Marcell Dareus, Kyle Williams, Shawn Merriman, Mark Anderson, Chris Kelsay, Dwan Edwards, Alex Carrington, Kellan Heard, and then either Torell Troupe or Spencer Johnson. Unless they add a guy, it is more than likely nobody else. The fact that Merriman and Scott can also play LB might allow them to keep between 9-11 D- lineman... I figure they will keep a couple more Lineman and a couple less LB this season.

I see us carrying 4DTs (Williams, Dareus, Troup, Heard), 4 DEs (Anderson, Williams, Merriman, and a draft pick), and a swingman, that being Carrington. An yes, Edwards is light years ahead of them, especially in salary.

So you think that Kelsay, Edwards, and Johnson get cut then? Interesting.. How many LB do you think that they keep?

Other than a couple of quibbles here and there, I think this is a solid analysis. The signing of Mark Anderson suggests that several current roster guys are on the bubble. Any additional FA signings on that level, plus the draft picks, should clarify who on the current roster is likely to be cut.

I wish the mods would read the posts through before they merge topics.. This really has nothing to do with this Topics original posters analysis. Might as well just clump everything together... On my day off, I must have spent 40 minutes creating this topic and it gets lumped into this post? I actually was enjoying the conversation it was generating, but now it disappears. In the original post, besides QB, TE, and RB I have posted nothing to do with the top player at each position. This new topic it is now found in has nothing to do with who gets cut, but is about who he thinks is going to start... My topic was labeled A LOOK AT THE ENTIRE ROSTER, who stays, who goes, and why... Which is an analysis of WHO GETS CUT. The subject it is now under is Who Starts?? I post here about 10 days a year because the mods are doing such a horrible job. It's even difficult to troll these days. Its sad cause I actually research things through and create in depth articles almost every time I have EVER posted a subject.. Agree or disagree with what I write.. I'm done with it, back to trolling. I'll post my stuff on other message boards. I'm not trying to be a whiner, its just that if you don't speak how you feel then nothing ever changes.. Just read the posts in full before you lump subjects together that shouldn't be lumped. It happens here every single day... For the record this is the first time I have ever complained but have felt this way so many times...

So you think that Kelsay, Edwards, and Johnson get cut then? Interesting.. How many LB do you think that they keep?

I wouldn't be surprised if they went with 5, but no more than 6 LBs.

Thanks for posting

My biggest worries are:

* LEFT TACKLE!!!

* No legit #2 WR

* Lack of a lockdown corner

* Lack of overall depth

Kelsay is clearly the weak link on a four man front but few teams have superstars across their D-Line. Finding a bookend to play opposite of Mario wouldn't be a priority to me.

A draft for that

1st round - Floyd wr notre dame

2nd - best lb available (lavonte david, bruce irvin, etc...)

3rd - dequan menzie cb alabama

4th - nate potter ot boise st

or if you prefer

1st - martin ot stanford

2nd - same set of lbs

3rd - dequan menzie cb alabama

4th - slew of wrs (tommy streeter, jordan white, nick toon, etc)