Blizzard Announces Diablo III Release Date

/dev/null

I had been anxiously waiting for it's release for sometime. In fact, was waiting to upgrade my PC cuz of it. Got a virus & decided to upgrade & w/ the new PC was forced to upgrade from D-II v 1.09 to 1.13. 1.13 plays sufficiently different (at least in Hell), that it significantly lessens the desire for D-III. Think I'll put it on my Xmas wish list.

I had been anxiously waiting for it's release for sometime. In fact, was waiting to upgrade my PC cuz of it. Got a virus & decided to upgrade & w/ the new PC was forced to upgrade from D-II v 1.09 to 1.13. 1.13 plays sufficiently different (at least in Hell), that it significantly lessens the desire for D-III. Think I'll put it on my Xmas wish list.

I wasn't able to play DII after I upgraded to Windows 7 :(

So I have been anxiously awaiting this release :thumbsup:

I wasn't able to play DII after I upgraded to Windows 7

Windoze 7 Home is what I have on my new PC. I wasn't able to get any versions of D-II to run except 1.13. IIRC, even after I installed it, Windoze indicated there would be problems, but best I can tell, it runs fine.

• 1 month later...
how does it relate say to World of Warcraft (which I have played a lot)

I was hoping someone else would've given you an answer by now, if nothing else, to get someone's assessment that is familiar w/ both (I don't play WoW).

They're basically similar in that you create a character of a particular "class", develop specific powers & abilities, & acquire goods (armor, weapons, etc) that bestows you w/ (better) abilities.

You then go about killing monsters, thereby gaining experience points (which allow you to "level up" to develop more ability & skills) & w/ the more stuff & more ability you have, you can kill more, stronger monsters, etc, ad nauseam.

Diablo & diablo II are set up so that you go on "quests". Sadly, you don't rcv any experience points for achieving these quests, only killing monsters (it'd be nice if you were awarded for merely "evading" them), but for some of them, you do rcv "prizes".

Diablo & Diablo II has the difference that unlike Wow, in additional to playing online w/ others, one can play offline, solo. IDK if Diablo III has this functionality or not.

Again, not being a player of Wow, I can't speak for the inherent pluses & minuses of the 2 games, but IMO they are of the same genre & play similar (they're both developed by Blizzard, too).

One week until release. Anyone else taking of next Wednesday to play?

Wednesday? No

Thursday and Friday...Yes! :devil:

I dont know anything about this game......how does it relate say to World of Warcraft (which I have played a lot)

Diablo is not as open world as WoW. There are specific quests and a storyline

There is no grouping like WoW. Everything can be done solo. Or you can team up with your friends. Content scales the more players are participating and according to level

There are no guilds or 40 man raids. It's alot more casual. You can just pick up a couple friends and hit your target.

There is no Horde or Alliance faction. In fact there is no PvP yet. When implemented it will be Arena style

Character progression is a little different. You don't get new abilities at each level. You get skill points which you spend on your skill tree, but not like speccing in WoW. In DIII you set your own skill path

If you're a WoW guy, Blizzard has a promotion where if you sign up for 1 year of WoW you get D3 free :w00t:

Oh, and that also reminds me. There is no monthly charge for DIII.

Edited by /dev/null

Diablo & diablo II are set up so that you go on "quests". Sadly, you don't rcv any experience points for achieving these quests, only killing monsters (it'd be nice if you were awarded for merely "evading" them), but for some of them, you do rcv "prizes".

They added experience for completing quest in Diablo III.

Character progression is a little different. You don't get new abilities at each level. You get skill points which you spend on your skill tree, but not like speccing in WoW. In DIII you set your own skill path

Diablo III no longer has skill points. You do gain new abilities as you level. You still kind of pick a direction or skill tree and augment it as you level up. The nice thing though is you can change your skills on the fly. You are not locked into anything.

They had an open beta a few weekends ago and I played each character up to level 10 or so. You can definitely see the WoW influence in the game, but all in all it is still a Diablo point and click killing fest. Can't wait until next Tuesday.

Installed and ready to play :w00t:

But now I have go to work soon :(

If you're playing, look me up

Erie - Witch Doctor

Eriepa - Wizard

Eriez - Demon Hunter

Cool I'll add you. I'm an idiot and really wanted to have the Collector Edition. Amazon is generally great about getting release date delivery, but I it doesn't look like they will make it this time. The plan was to have it when i get home from work today, play through the night and have tomorrow off of work. I am going to download the game from Blizzard and either send the boxed copy back or sell it on ebay. Right now the Collectors Edition is going for upwards of 200 bucks.

Don't have any characters yet, but my battle tag = muffmonster#1122.