I'm tired of mistakingly clicking on Bob Matthews editorials

eball

I used to listen to Matthews on the radio and read his column. However, the more I listened and read the less he seems to know about football. And then he got Fred Smerlas on the radio and it became the Patriots are the best thing ever and Buffalo sucks and will never be any good. That grew old and I just stopped listening and reading. I have been much happier, particularly after finding kindred spirits on this site.

Smerlas is such a jack-ass. Pains me to say it, but even in their playing days in Buffalo, he, and his buddy Haslett were class A jerks. I remember when the Bills were looking for a coach (can't remember now, if it was when they hired Williams, Mularkey or Jauron) but Smerlas was on the Rochester radio station, publically trying to start a fan movement for the Bills to hire Haslett as HC, and Smerlas would, naturally have loved to work on the Bills radio broadcasts. This was from the guy who has did nothing before, or after, but bash the franchise and the owner. I have had my issues with Ralph Wilson from time to time, but the fact that Haslett was always more interested in the Bills coaching job, than the Bills were in hiring him, was sound thinking on the old man's part, as far as I am concerned.

PTR, as I reacall you were a radio guy in WNY at one time? Do you recall when Smerlas and Haslett had a radio show, with John Murphy (IIRC) on WBEN in the early to mid-80's? They both thought they were hot ****...would threaten fans with bodily harm...every phone call sounded like two stupid high school bullies...I used to feel bad for John Murphy, tyring to calm things down...as I recall, during the glorious 1984 or 1985 season, it had gotten so out of hand, WBEN pulled the plug on the show... too bad too. Those early 80's teams are amongst my all-time favorite Bills teams...and Smerlas was a fine player in his day... but, a total "earf wurm" as he might say.

I was out of Buffalo in the 80s and streaming audio didn't exist then, so I had no way to hear that on WBEN. What kills me about Smerlas is he talks crap about the Bills and the city elsewhere, then shows up for paid autograph signings at Bills events. If I was Ralph I'd take his name off the Wall and ban him.

PTR

I was out of Buffalo in the 80s and streaming audio didn't exist then, so I had no way to hear that on WBEN. What kills me about Smerlas is he talks crap about the Bills and the city elsewhere, then shows up for paid autograph signings at Bills events. If I was Ralph I'd take his name off the Wall and ban him.

PTR

Not take him off the wall - move him.

Create a huge bathroom with a urinal (sorry ladies) with his sign on it.