2005 Draft

Mickey

I know, we have a lot of football left to play this year but that shouldn't stall the speculation over the 2005 draft from getting off the ground.

I am thinking that moving Vincent to FS solves one problem but creates another. We gain a FS but lose a CB. Picking up another decent CB prospect should definitely be in the plan somewhere.

The OL, despite playing much better, still needs work. Apart from re-signing some people, we still need a G.

Assuming we lose Henry, we need a solid second string RB.

The defense is playing so well it is hard to poing to any real problems. I would say that our weakest points on defense are probably the ends and Posey. Schobel is competent but not much more and that is a position where you'd like to see a guy who can wreak havoc once in a while. Posey is not the rushing LB we thought we were getting. Both Spikes and Fletcher do a better job on the blitz. Kelsay is coming on so we might have that positon finally filled.

If Drew doesn't come back next year, we will need a third string QB.

Lindel is okay but nothing special. I'd hate to have to rely on him to make a 49 yarder to win a playoff game. Maybe this is the year we have the luxury of affording to use a pick on a place kicker.

Don't forget a legit 3rd WR. We only have two threats there. Reed hasn't blossomed and Aiken just hasn't stepped up.

I agree about the #2 RB which can be found in the middle rounds.

OG is a need for more consistency. It would be awesome to know you had Tucker and Price off the bench for spot duty at G and T while having a solid core of 5 guys across the front starting.

Wouldn't be shocked at the CB being taken somewhere but I expect both PP and Reese to be gone next year. Big and athletic safeties should be available around our pick in the lower 2nd round. Wire looks like a special teams demon and nothing else at this point.

Drew is here for the rest of his career IMO. Probably one more year of starting at least. We might draft another young guy for #3 but Matthews' experience to talk to Drew on the sideline is invaluable.

Maybe another OLB if quality is there.

While the Nugent kid is intruiging at K, Lindell continues to get the job done.

Late

K - No way Nugent falls to the bottom of the 3rd round, and I can't justify using a 2nd round pick on a kicker. Even if the guy is money.

CB - Clements will be asking for Winfield type money. Maybe we already have the talent there to cover that loss.

Sleeper of the draft... RB Darren Sproles of Kansas State. His stock went way down this year and he will fall into the late rounds. He's a small back that can't block. But he runs the 40 in 4.35 and moves like Berry Sander. I think he is going to be something special.

Don't forget a legit 3rd WR. We only have two threats there. Reed hasn't blossomed and Aiken just hasn't stepped up.

I agree about the #2 RB which can be found in the middle rounds.

OG is a need for more consistency. It would be awesome to know you had Tucker and Price off the bench for spot duty at G and T while having a solid core of 5 guys across the front starting.

Wouldn't be shocked at the CB being taken somewhere but I expect both PP and Reese to be gone next year. Big and athletic safeties should be available around our pick in the lower 2nd round. Wire looks like a special teams demon and nothing else at this point.

Drew is here for the rest of his career IMO. Probably one more year of starting at least. We might draft another young guy for #3 but Matthews' experience to talk to Drew on the sideline is invaluable.

Maybe another OLB if quality is there.

While the Nugent kid is intruiging at K, Lindell continues to get the job done.

Late

180517[/snapback]

Good post.

I'm still partial to using the 2nd round pick on the best interior OL available. If Elton Brown of Virginia or CJ Brooks of Maryland are there, that should be the pick. However.....

An impact player at safety would also be great. Ernest Shazor of Michigan would be a great addition to this defense, if he's still around at our 2nd round pick. If he's there, I'd take him and hope to land a guy like G Chris Kemoeatu of Utah in the 3rd round.

A name to watch at OLB is Rian Wallace of Temple. He's raw, but has a wealth of athletic ability. If he's there in the 4th or 5th, it would be a nice pick.

I'm okay with Lindell at kicker. I certainly wouldn't pass up a great guard or safety prospect for Nugent.