Vote for the Bills' Pick...

Astrobot

On the right hand side of the home page are the choices that have dropped to the Bills at #10 in our annual Reader Poll, and it's the Bills' pick.

http://www.drafttek.com/

Have Fun!

Astro

I did this yesterday when I was cruising around that site. I picked Mercilus (prob not a big surprise for some). I also went through and picked the other teams and kept voting coples so he wont be there :devil:

On an aside... Wondering what your thoughts on DeQuan Menzie from Alabama are. I think he did well across from Kirkpatrick and he is rated anywhere from 3rd to 7th round. Thanks Astro! BTW your latest mock with Mercilus at the top gets a :thumbsup: from me!

I did this yesterday when I was cruising around that site. I picked Mercilus (prob not a big surprise for some). I also went through and picked the other teams and kept voting coples so he wont be there :devil:

On an aside... Wondering what your thoughts on DeQuan Menzie from Alabama are. I think he did well across from Kirkpatrick and he is rated anywhere from 3rd to 7th round. Thanks Astro! BTW your latest mock with Mercilus at the top gets a :thumbsup: from me!

Thanks. I'm writing those evaluationssincerely, based on the way I feel about the pick assigned by the computer. I like Mercilus for the reasons stated.

Menzie, the CB, is appearing on boards from RD4 to UDFA. Because he was opposite FitzPOTrick, he saw a lot more passes coming his way than FitzPOTrick, and that's why he has the most pass breakups (PBU) on the team--11 for the season. He has gret ball skills, too. Watch this tipped pass to himself! Because of the McGee restructuring, I think 3rd-4th round is when we'll see CB being taken this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H2lH2aAAVI

Edited by Astrobot

Ingram hasn't been taken. Great question. Thinking of voting for "Other"?

If Ingram is still available, Id vote for him. If I vote other, do I get to specify? If not, no biggie, I'll just vote Upshaw, who I'd be equally happy with.

(obviously, this is very serious business, haha :P )

Edited by DrDareustein

If Ingram is still available, Id vote for him. If I vote other, do I get to specify? If not, no biggie, I'll just vote Upshaw, who I'd be equally happy with.

(obviously, this is very serious business, haha :P )

Yeah, "Other" I don't think lets you specify. Do it, though!

Yeah, "Other" I don't think lets you specify. Do it, though!

Eh, I went Upshaw, who had been my sure-fire, locked pick... up until we announced the switch in scheme. Now I have no idea what we will, or even should do.

I dont think Ingram will fall to us, but it would be a best case scenario to have him and Upshaw still there at #10. Having to pick between the two is a good problem to have, imo.

Eh, I went Upshaw, who had been my sure-fire, locked pick... up until we announced the switch in scheme. Now I have no idea what we will, or even should do.

I dont think Ingram will fall to us, but it would be a best case scenario to have him and Upshaw still there at #10. Having to pick between the two is a good problem to have, imo.

Exactly! Upshaw, Ingram, Mercilus--I like them each for different reasons.

Courtney Upshaw 6’1” 270 OLB34/DE43) RD1#8-19

effort and instincts are just icing on the cake

would provide some much needed depth and size

Pete Carroll: “he is a better player than Von miller….Von was more athletic, but Upshaw is stronger, more technically sound and doesn’t have weaknesses.”

power at point

3-4 rush backer or 4-3 DE

moves, club, incredible hand fighting technique

Bowen and Bunting love Upshaw

his recognition skills are elite

In the two meetings with LSU and Cam Newton/Auburn, he came up against a lot of run-option. Not only did he show top-end instinct to react to the ball carrier, he also consistently drew the quarterback on the pitch and then adjusted to the runner – essentially taking both opponents out of the play. You see real awareness and athleticism when he tackles the pitch

fantastic awareness to react to screens and reverses

not an elite athlete, but his pursuit skills more than make up for it

not got the ideal length for an edge rusher. However, the guy just ‘gets‘ leverage. He will consistently attack a lineman with great pad level and drive players into the backfield.

He has a deceptive second effort when trying to beat blocks, dropping a shoulder and seemingly giving the impression he’s beaten before bursting by a tackle to make the play.

rarely gets absorbed by even the biggest lineman

despite not having the longest arms, he does a fine job keeping blockers away from his body so that he’s able to dip inside or burst around the edge

thick body is comparable to a small three-technique and he has similar skills.

At linebacker you’ll be giving up some coverage ability because he’s never going to be able to stick with top-end slot receivers and tight ends (he worked predominantly on underneath coverage at Alabama)

Melvin Ingram South Carolina 6’2” 276 RD1#10-19

The Bills are implementing a base 4-3 up front, but plan to be “multiple” on defense in an effort to keep offenses off balance.

With versatility as his calling card, Ingram is what the doctor ordered.

productive as a 4-3 defensive tackle, 4-3 end and also played 3-4 outside ‘backer in the SEC

arguably the best pure pass rusher in the draft

wreaking havoc with power, explosiveness, and closing speed that jumps off the page

a knack for quarterback disruption

Used mainly as a pass rusher by the Gamecocks

Buffalo finished 30th in the league in sacks in 2011

Just behind John Abraham in sacks at SC with 21.5

Ingram logged 17 1/2 sacks his last two collegiate seasons (9 sacks in 2010 despite starting only 1 game but played in all 14)

48 tackles is indicative of his run-stopping prowess.

Tough: suffered a broken hand early in 2010 game at Vanderbilt but returned to the contest

versatile, #1 LB on Chavous list

Robinson and Coples say Melvin Ingram is the funniest guy on his Sr. bowl team—Bills could handle that

Ingram is a first team All-American - http://www.seniorbowl.com/playerinfo.asp?ID=583

Importantly, Ingram is a team leader. humble guy, no baggage.

DE Whitney Mercilus: RD1#8-11 (could be 1st DE off board, to Miami, Buffalo or Seattle)

can get to the passer in a variety of different ways, can beat the o-lineman when engaged

can run right by him

has an arsenal of pass rush moves.

forced 9 fumbles, last year (some Warren Sapp like numbers)

strong and smart

goes after the ball

he's not happy just getting the sack, alone—the team player

big dropoff if used as a OLB34

athletic ability, size, speed, and intangibles

seems to have his act together in all phases

heard the knock on Mercilus: Big Ten, one year wonder, blah blah blah.

top Big Ten DE from last year’s RD1 in PFF’s Plus Ratings -- J.J. Watt (14 of 16 games)

Mario Williams played 12 games in 2005, logging 62 tackles, 24 of them for loss, and 14.5 sacks.

Mercilus played in 13 games, and made 57 tackles with 22.5 TFL (#2 in NCAA history).

16 sacks led the BCS, tying another Big Ten DE, Simeon Rice.

His 9 forced fumbles was the second-highest single-season total in NCAA history.

a redshirt junior but new coach coming in, lost 6 final games

2 sacks in 2 seasons, then 16.5 to lead BCS, 9 FF this season, 6-4 265,

quick on the snap (almost offisdes), as DE rushed from standing position like a LB, rejoiced in buddy’s sack, made sack by speed, outside move and a Brucelike angled turn, tackled QB w/ LT on his back; victim of draw to his side, too upright when TFL,

has Ware’s “want to” that Channix will like, passion I don’t see in Upshaw as much, pursues even if play to other side, got 2nd sack when 2-teamed, great hand use, best sacks per game in BCS

Edited by Astrobot