DE/OLB vs Corner

MattM

This whole thread is F-cked. It's not a problem of overdrafting or underdrafting at any one or two positions. It's the quality of the players you are getting since 2000 in those 1st two rounds. Passing up Orakpo for Maybins? Drafting RB's like McGahee (who we knew was gonna have to sit out that first season?) Lynch (Mr HitnRun)... and now Spiller? (who can't beat out Fred but WANTS to start!)

I am not going to go over the litany of bad early picks this organization has made yet again, but suffice to say, until this organization starts drafting better in those early rounds especially, this team won't get much better...

And how bout picking up a backup center so that if your #1 guy gets injured you don't have to move guys all around and out of their natural postions creating chaos everywhere!... It's not exactly rocket science - especially when you are 19+million under the cap as PFT is now reporting...

You are spot on! The lack of talent that has been drafted in the first round has been the alarming part (regardless of position).

I am not talking about running backs or safetys. I said CBs. So ladies and gentleman here are these manipulated stats I made up!!!!

We have drafted a total of........3 Cornerbacks in rounds 1 or 2 since the year 2000!

Ok, I accept this. But the emphasis on the secondary and running backs in the draft has assured this team of losing football games.

This season, the Giants will probably use a first round pick on a defensive back. Posters will come here and point to this as a sign of doing the right thing. The truth is that they have one of the best defensive lines ever. Even if they need help at other positions, a db, if he is the best player out there at positions of need, would probably make sense. And I would support this as a Giant fan.

The Bills are an entirely different story. They have a doccumented history of wasting prime picks on dbs, and letting them walk after 1 contract. This while the OL and front 7 suffer.

Wade Phillipps (not me) said that he wants players who can rush the quarterback, and THEN he will worry about the secondary. We do the opposite, and of course lose.

When half of your draft picks in a 40 year span are either RB's or DB's you either have had a lot of luck finding QB's, OT's and pass rushers or you have a flawed approach to the draft.

As we know, those positions have not been strengths.

At most, runnin' bax and DB's account for 6 starters out of 22 starting positions on offense and defense. So half your first round picks have been made to fill 27% your starting positions.

Even if you subscribe to the theory that all positions are equally important.......which I most certainly do not......the Bills are guilty as charged.

The Bills failure to treat the draft as a process and properly weight and select the right players is the result of a flawed, ever changing organizational approach to winning which can be best summed up as "losing".

talk about mis-allocation of resources

it is astounding that the Bills have not spent a single pick in the top 3 rounds of the draft on a bonafide LEFT tackle who could step in and start since Polian left a generation ago

Mike Williams was right tackle who couldn't his college position, let alone LT

and people wonder why the Bills QBs have been inconsistent and underperforming for the same time frame