How Does the Salary Cap Work?

Rob's House

I'm hearing once we resign our guys (SJ, Chandler, Bell) and our draft picks we're pretty close to tapped out on salary cap. How can that be?

I see teams like Philly with around $40 mil tied up just in Peters, Vick, and Asumugha. And teams like the Jets who have all manner of highly paid guys were somehow in the Asumugha and now Peyton Manning discussion. Seeing as how we don't have any players that are really breaking the bank at their positions, how is it we don't have room to go after some big name free agents?

What am I missing?

I'm hearing once we resign our guys (SJ, Chandler, Bell) and our draft picks we're pretty close to tapped out on salary cap. How can that be?

I see teams like Philly with around $40 mil tied up just in Peters, Vick, and Asumugha. And teams like the Jets who have all manner of highly paid guys were somehow in the Asumugha and now Peyton Manning discussion. Seeing as how we don't have any players that are really breaking the bank at their positions, how is it we don't have room to go after some big name free agents?

What am I missing?

Cash to the cap, and, in general, how the Bills are willing to pay out here and there, but not in a way to create space.

Welcome to Bills Fandom.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

What am I missing?

You arent missing much actually. I think you probably understand it pretty well, its just that when people start talking as if they are in dreamland it gets easy to confuse reality with make believe.

The Jets are in cap trouble. They will have to try to reconstruct a couple of contracts. Luckily guys like Sanchez have come out and said they are willing to do that for the team. If guys arent- then they face the possibility of getting cut. With the new CBA the Jets might have some manuverability because i've heard that dead money from last year may not count against the cap in 2012? Not sure of the specifics. The Jets have over $8 million in dead money last time i checked so that may help them out. There are also some exemptions the league will make such as veteran salaries to help teams allocate their cash.

If the Jets want Manning they will cut Sanchez. That will free up 9 million or close to that. But i guess they will have to cut more than if Manning signs for more. Bottom line is that the Jets wont end up with Manning.

The Eagles are in a better situation as they are under the cap. While their top players make alot they save some money (compared to the bills) in the bottom half of their roster. With a roster of 50+ its surprising how a quarter mil here and half a mil there add up. But after all is said and done they are less than 20 million under the cap ANd they have to sign D.Jackson if they want him back.

Compare that with the Bills who are $25 million under and have to sign S.Jackson.

I hope that helps a little. Tracking the cap and the CBA is such a pain so i usually dont know much about either but i do know simple math which is why sometimes i get annoyed when posters talk about signing Mario Williams or going out to sign 3 of the best free agents. And then when Nix doesnt they whine and complain as if its Buddy Nix's fault they flunked grade two math.

Cut Kelsay and Merriman and we would have more than a few bucks to chase someone good.

Rotoworld.com reports that Merriman's contract has $3 million of his second-year base salary guaranteed. If thats accurate you wouldnt gain very much by cutting him. You could cut Dwan Edwards and Spencer Johnson and save about $7 million though. :thumbsup:

Rotoworld.com reports that Merriman's contract has $3 million of his second-year base salary guaranteed. If thats accurate you wouldnt gain very much by cutting him. You could cut Dwan Edwards and Spencer Johnson and save about $7 million though. :thumbsup:

That may be true but doesn't he have something like a 1 million roster bonus this spring? If he passes a physical and they keep him were on the hook for the whole 3+ mil. Thats a lot of cash for a gimpy cheerleader.

That may be true but doesn't he have something like a 1 million roster bonus this spring? If he passes a physical and they keep him were on the hook for the whole 3+ mil. Thats a lot of cash for a gimpy cheerleader.

Yeah youre right. Good point. So if he doesnt pass the physical he is no longer guaranteed the base or bonus. But if he does then they have to keep him because he gets the money either way. He does also have a bunch of incentives that can be added bases on his performance but i doubt the Bills care about that because if he DOES play well then they'd be happy to pay him for it.

What am I missing?

Best general explanation of the salary cap that I've found (last updated 8/29/11):

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp

And while we're at it, I don't know where this guy gets his 2012 numbers, so I can't say for sure, but they seem fairly accurate based on what little I can cross-check:

http://nyjetscap.com/Bills/bills2012.php

I do know that he updates fairly promptly. He already has updated for Sanborn and for Corto being cut.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

Best general explanation of the salary cap that I've found (last updated 8/29/11):

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp

And while we're at it, I don't know where this guy gets his 2012 numbers, so I can't say for sure, but they seem fairly accurate based on what little I can cross-check:

http://nyjetscap.com/Bills/bills2012.php

I do know that he updates fairly promptly. He already has updated for Sanborn and for Corto being cut.

Thanks, that helped a lot.

Looks like Spencer Johnson & Dwan Edwards are as good as gone. They don't fit the scheme & would free up close to $8 million. A lot of teams need 3-4 ends. I wonder if we could get a late rd pick for Edwards.