Super Bowl Costs

This is from Bloomberg news. Talks about the cost of the Colts stadium and the use of taxpayer dollars. I thought it was interesting given the discussions about potential upgrades to RWS.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-02/super-bowl-lands-on-taxpayers-backs-as-stadium-deal-turns-sour.html

The NFL is extremely popular and profitable. One of the reasons for their profitability is the ability to dump a lot of their cost structure onto the taxpayers at the various state and local levels. Studies indicate the return on investment localities expect to gain from their investment is usually never realized.

While I'm not fan of regulation I also detest the misuse of public funds and the use of threats and intimidation used by ownership in extorting consessions out of already strapped taxpayers.

Time has come to see some Federal legislation prohibiting the use of taxpayer monies to fund prviate professional sports facilities. Given our Federal government is for sale to the highest bidder (no matter which party is in charge) its doubtful that is ever going to happen.

This is from Bloomberg news. Talks about the cost of the Colts stadium and the use of taxpayer dollars. I thought it was interesting given the discussions about potential upgrades to RWS.

http://www.bloomberg...turns-sour.html

The NFL is extremely popular and profitable. One of the reasons for their profitability is the ability to dump a lot of their cost structure onto the taxpayers at the various state and local levels. Studies indicate the return on investment localities expect to gain from their investment is usually never realized.

While I'm not fan of regulation I also detest the misuse of public funds and the use of threats and intimidation used by ownership in extorting consessions out of already strapped taxpayers.

Time has come to see some Federal legislation prohibiting the use of taxpayer monies to fund prviate professional sports facilities. Given our Federal government is for sale to the highest bidder (no matter which party is in charge) its doubtful that is ever going to happen.

Yup. The 'investment in the community' theory is bullsh-- because the owners are going to end up building the new stadium anyway because if it's a dump the fans won't come and the profits will fall. The only downside is that teams may move more frequently, but so what. The teams will gravitate to the places that have a fan base that can support them, which is how it should be anyway.

If what you suggest were to happen, prohibiting teams from using tax dollars, say goodbye to the Bills.

Why? Someone would then have to build their own stadium somewhere else to play in, why do that when there's a perfectly good one in Orchard Park.