Buffalo Bills Myth Busters Series

Sniper

Those whole question his value should see films of the stone foots we had before Scot Norwood (forget Wide Right, he won many games for us in those break out years, and some from the late 70's (like Tom Dempsey who missed a chip shot to end the Fin losing streak from hell.

Yes, but he only missed it by half a foot.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that joke went viral back in '79. He was cut right after that but I don't think the next guy was any better. Back then some soccer stytle kickers had to get it thru their minds that in this game, you kick it over the crossbar, not under. Remember Fred Steinfort, he was the consummate line drive kicker, which doesn't help on FG's.

Nothing like an old Bills placekicker joke.

A friend of mine from Depew used to tell a Norwood joke years ago.

There used to be (it might still be there) a restaurant on South Park near the stadium called Donut Land… it might now be called Pegasus?

Anyways, when the Bills were in Tampa for their first Super Bowl, a member of the Bills office called the restaurant and asked them to send a bunch of donuts down to the Bills hotel in Tampa because a lot of the players used to go there on Fridays as part of their weekly routine.

Amazingly the owner of the restaurant declined to fulfill the request.

As a result of that fateful decision, the Bills "frittered" away their best chance at a Super Bowl win.

Apple fritter, get it?

Hey, I didn't say it was a good joke.

Nothing like an old Bills placekicker joke.

A friend of mine from Depew used to tell a Norwood joke years ago.

There used to be (it might still be there) a restaurant on South Park near the stadium called Donut Land… it might now be called Pegasus?

Anyways, when the Bills were in Tampa for their first Super Bowl, a member of the Bills office called the restaurant and asked them to send a bunch of donuts down to the Bills hotel in Tampa because a lot of the players used to go there on Fridays as part of their weekly routine.

Amazingly the owner of the restaurant declined to fulfill the request.

As a result of that fateful decision, the Bills "frittered" away their best chance at a Super Bowl win.

Apple fritter, get it?

Hey, I didn't say it was a good joke.

That restaurant owner was a real crumb!

Pressure?

From one standpoint, every kick a placekicker attempts is pressure because the NFL is a results-oriented business and FG % is a pretty black and white statistic… it only ignores the competency of the holder and long snapper and to some degree weather and field conditions.

I feel that snappers and holders are all very competent so I think that effect is minimal at best. As far as weather/field conditions, I would bet that cold weather kickers have very similar %s to warm weather kickers and I'd bet the same holds true for turf vs grass kickers.

In other words IMO, FG % is a very "honest" stat.

So back to my original point, each time a placekicker kicks he's kicking for his job because if his % slips, it's a cause for concern with the team and invites further scrutiny and the considering of alternatives.

As far as pressure from exceptionally important kicks, the Bills haven't sniffed the playoffs since the 2004 season so obviously he's not had too many kicks of huge magnitude.

On the other hand, in any game there are strategically important moments when the outcome of a field goal attempt is crucial to the outcome of the game. My recollection is that Lindell is very dependable in those situations. As such, I consider him to be an excellent kicker albeit in an era of excellent kickers.

As for Moorman, gross punting average is the least relevant statistic for punters.

Obviously net average is more important for one thing because it reflects such factors as hang time, fair catches and unreturnable punts.

And of course touchbacks and punts downed inside the 20 are important although they are not very relevant unless expressed as a percentage.

BTW, Brian Moorman was 25th in net punting average…

Good stuff. I'm too lazy but since your brought it up can you compute his inside the 20 and touchbacks as a %. I'd be curious how he ranks within the top 10.

Pressure?

From one standpoint, every kick a placekicker attempts is pressure because the NFL is a results-oriented business and FG % is a pretty black and white statistic… it only ignores the competency of the holder and long snapper and to some degree weather and field conditions.

I feel that snappers and holders are all very competent so I think that effect is minimal at best. As far as weather/field conditions, I would bet that cold weather kickers have very similar %s to warm weather kickers and I'd bet the same holds true for turf vs grass kickers.

In other words IMO, FG % is a very "honest" stat.

So back to my original point, each time a placekicker kicks he's kicking for his job because if his % slips, it's a cause for concern with the team and invites further scrutiny and the considering of alternatives.

As far as pressure from exceptionally important kicks, the Bills haven't sniffed the playoffs since the 2004 season so obviously he's not had too many kicks of huge magnitude.

On the other hand, in any game there are strategically important moments when the outcome of a field goal attempt is crucial to the outcome of the game. My recollection is that Lindell is very dependable in those situations. As such, I consider him to be an excellent kicker albeit in an era of excellent kickers.

As I said, I think he is fine, but the degree of pressure is exponentially higher when the season is on the line. I can't recall any big kicks he has been asked to make, but that's because the Bills haven't played in any big games.

Here is his "Wiki history", some missed "high-pressure" kicks, mixed with his high points: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rian_Lindell

One kicker that is a huge asset is Janikowski. His ability to make those long field goals can really impact a game strategically.

Moorman is nothing special.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Here is his "Wiki history", some missed "high-pressure" kicks, mixed with his high points: http://en.wikipedia....ki/Rian_Lindell

Thanks for posting.

Too bad it's a random sample written in prose instead of a simple table with cold, hard data.

I don't trust the narrative to have included every significant kick he's attempted in his career.

I do appreciate you posting the link though.

Thanks for posting.

Too bad it's a random sample written in prose instead of a simple table with cold, hard data.

I don't trust the narrative to have included every significant kick he's attempted in his career.

I do appreciate you posting the link though.

I think he has missed some important kicks. He may be the best the Bills can do for now though.