Polian to Buffalo?

Coach55

You could just as easily insert Manning's name into that sentence.

Manning has a much better line, better backs and was carried through the playoffs by the defense during the superbowl run. I would prefer Marino to Manning.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've lived in Indy a long time, but still love the Bills from back in my Buffalo year when Kelly faced Marino. Manning has played on a team built for getting out of the gate fast with a well-coached and fairly well-stocked list of weapons to choose from. Both high draft picks (ex. James, Clark, Wayne, etc.) and lesser draft picks (ex. Collie, Garcon, etc.) have been good contributors. Yes some questionable ones too....Addai, Gonzalez. You could also perhaps question Polians committment to defense and special teams (coverage mainly). The defense was built to play with a lead and to play a system. They were small and fast, not bruisers. I remember a lot of people (including here) saying Polian was nuts for drafting Dwight Freeney as high as he did and based their opinion solely on how Bryant McKinney supposedly handled him in a bowl game (while we selected Mike "bust" Williams). My point is that Polian fielded strongly competitive teams until this year. I wish the Colts would have kept him.

As far as Manning vs. Marino...IMHO Manning is a better field general/manager whereas Marino was the better pure passer. Both had lightning quick releases....maybe a very slight edge to Marino there. Yes Manning only won 1 SB but the one they lost to New Orleans was more of a defensive failure vs. an offensive one. If I had to pick which one I'd want on my team, I would still have to favor Manning.

It's time to look forward not backward! Bill Polian was good for the Bills before but he is not our present (yet)! Peyton Manning is not what this team needs. He is a couple years from retirement. We need to build around a young QB. It may be Fitz or it may not. What is obvious is that we need to improve the lines on both sides of the ball first. If we can protect our QB, he will be much more productive and accurate!