Current Roster better for a 4-3 or 3-4?

Booger

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I commend the pick of Darius and I believe it was a gift for him to fall to Buffalo...At that immediate second the Bills should be planning to build around him as a franchise player. Please dont tell me "they are, him as a DE"...that would be like saying Detroit drafted Suh as a DE....

I don't think the responsibilities of a 4-3 DT and a 3-4 DE are all that different, and feel that Dareus is capable at playing either at a high level. Maybe even better suited as a 2 gap player that the 34 allows him.

Williams not so much, but there isn't anything that says he can't be a one gap player in a 34. He also had a fairly successful season playing in the 34 last year.

I think this is on topic. The really good coaches evaluate the talent that they have and adjust their schemes accordingly. Case in point. In the mid-80's, one of the greatest defensive players in the history of the league - Bruce Smith - lands in their lap. At that point, the Bills had been running a 3-4 for less than 10 years. Do they look at Smith (who I believe played at around 260 - 270 pounds) and say, "we have potentially the most dominant 4-3 DE in the history of the league! Let's change our system to accomodate him"? Nope, they stick with a 3-4 for the entire length of his career with Buffalo. Did he have a great, Hall of Fame career? Yes. Did he break the all-time sack record? Yes. But he did it in spite of the system the Bills were running, not because of it.

The moral of the story is no matter what you've committed to in the past, look at your talent and adjust.

to run the 3-4....

NT: starter not on roster, Troup

DE: Dareus, KWilliams, Carrington, Edwards

OLB: Merriman, starter not on roster, Kelsay, Moats, Batten

MLB: Barnett, starter not on roster, Sheppard, Davis

CB: Florence, AWilliams, Mcgee, Mckelvin, Rogers

FS: Byrd, Scott

SS: Wilson, Searcy

3 starters(and its not easy finding a strong starting NT) and lots of depth away

to run a 4-3

DT: Dareus, KWilliams, Troup

DE: Kelsay, starter not on roster, Carrington, depth needed

OLB: 2 starters not on roster, Merriman, Moats, Batten

MLB: Barnett Sheppard, Davis

CB: Florence, AWilliams, Mcgee, Mckelvin, Rogers

FS: Byrd, Scott

SS: Wilson, Searcy

3 starters and some depth needed