Cap Changes

silvermike

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/14/players-win-big-under-new-tv-deals/

I'm going to assume that this is accurate. So a $7B media deal, 55% to the players, comes to $120M of salary cap money from the deal, plus all the other money from other sources. I haven't seen the value of the current deal, but this is described as a 60% increase, so that'd make it about a $4.5B deal, which contributes about $77M per team. So that means the cap is going to have to go up a solid $40+ million by 2014, right?

That's going to lead to an insane frenzy for any players due for free agency that year, which we should keep in mind when evaluating any future contracts that go through that date. Stevie Johnson will be 28 that year, and probably a prime candidate for a huge pay raise. I'm sure his agent is holding that against us in any talks ongoing, but would it be worthwhile to sign a deal keeping him for just the years until then? Some kind of 2 year, $14M thing?

Some kind of 2 year, $14M thing?

Wawrow can correct me if I'm wrong, but the Bills have already rejected his agent's latest offer, which I'm thinking is somewhere in the $8-9 million range per year. (Wawrow's story said the offer averaged out to under $9 million per year.) If Buffalo doesn't pay that, somebody else will. And I'm sure the franchise number is much higher than that.

Wawrow can correct me if I'm wrong, but the Bills have already rejected his agent's latest offer, which I'm thinking is somewhere in the $8-9 million range per year. (Wawrow's story said the offer averaged out to under $9 million per year.) If Buffalo doesn't pay that, somebody else will. And I'm sure the franchise number is much higher than that.

I think the franchise tag is going to be the solution here. Everybody can see what Vincent Jackson or DeSean Jackson gets, knock off 15%, and try a long term deal. But I'm guessing the rejected number was for a much longer deal - if Stevie wants an early (guaranteed?) big payday with a chance to hit the market when the real money's out, we might get him cheaper. Two years at $7M each, plus a team option for a third and fourth year at $14M might do it, especially if the latter is guaranteed for injury or something. Because I agree - we're not signing him longterm for less than $9M.

But in all of these deals, we should look at at the bonanza coming in the 2014 offseason. It's going to color every deal.

If Buffalo doesn't pay that, somebody else will. And I'm sure the franchise number is much higher than that.

Please, name one team that would pay Steve Johnson more than $9M/yr.?

The success of the Bills receivers seems to be systemic. It doesn't matter what receiver the Bills put out there, they are all somewhat productive. Chandler, Roosevelt, Nelson... they were all either a FA after the draft or waived. Basically street free agents. And, Johnson fell just one draft pick ourside of that classification.

I'd just like to point out that it was STEVIE, not Wawrow or the media, that "reported" that number. We have no idea what it really was. Unless you want to believe a guy who is negotiating in the media, or at least trying to save some face.

I'd just like to point out that it was STEVIE, not Wawrow or the media, that "reported" that number. We have no idea what it really was. Unless you want to believe a guy who is negotiating in the media, or at least trying to save some face.

Good point.

OK, so in 2 or 3 years we have to be spending super close to the cap number, and right now we are way under it. So what is our plan? Be super stingy the next few years, just to waste money on average players at the last minute, or are we going to slowly work ourselves close to the cap as the deadline [and players worth their pay] approaches.

AKA I dont get why we arent going after stud FAs. We have tons of cap room we are required to spend....