Salary Cap Going Foward

billsfan714

We always hear about how much the Bills are under the cap, but how much will be left over in the coming years? A few questions that I wonder about:

1. What is the cap number in the coming years?

2. Where are we at next year with Fitz's and Kyle's extensions?

3. Where are we going to be after extending Stevie and giving FJ more?

4. The real key ones coming up real soon are then Levitre, Byrd and Wood and I think everybody here wants to keep all 3 there.

The more you look at what they have to re-sign, the Bills will easily be at or above any minimum, so with this front office, there will always be cap casualties so who are your top 3 next year?

4. The real key ones coming up real soon are then Levitre, Byrd and Wood and I think everybody here wants to keep all 3 there.

Those guys are obviously key re-signings when their contracts are up… thank goodness none of their contracts expire this year.

Besides the presumed re-signing of Fred Jackson and the impending free agency of Stevie Johnson, the guys the Bills have to re-sign (who are free agents after this season) are Eric Pears, Scott Chandler, Demetrius Bell, Bryan Scott, Ryan Lindell, and Chad Rinehart… to a lesser degree Garrison Sanborn and Reggie Torbor.

It's only 89% and it doesn't apply until 2013: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/30/per-team-spending-minimum-doesnt-apply-until-2013/

Even then, it's on a cash basis, not cap basis.

Remember, it’s not cap space but cash spent. So when a team like the Panthers gives defensive end Charles Johnson a $30 million signing bonus on a six-year deal, only $5 million counts against the cap — but $30 million counts against the league’s total spending requirement of $3.8 billion.