BCMess

Ramius

Doesn't college football pride themselves on "the entire season is a playoff" and "every game matters"? How does that apply to today, where apparently LSU is going to the national championship game no matter what?

A 1-loss LSU team that loses to UGA is no better than a potentially 1-loss Oklahoma St, or a 1-loss VT, or a 1-loss stanford. !@#$ the BCS.

I guess my biggest problem with the entire sham of a system is that they make it a moving target to get to the championship game. Rematches aren't ok, until they are. We can't take a team that doesn't win their conference until we decide we can. just get it over already and at least do a plus 1 system.

Doesn't college football pride themselves on "the entire season is a playoff" and "every game matters"? How does that apply to today, where apparently LSU is going to the national championship game no matter what?

A 1-loss LSU team that loses to UGA is no better than a potentially 1-loss Oklahoma St, or a 1-loss VT, or a 1-loss stanford. !@#$ the BCS.

I guess my biggest problem with the entire sham of a system is that they make it a moving target to get to the championship game. Rematches aren't ok, until they are. We can't take a team that doesn't win their conference until we decide we can. just get it over already and at least do a plus 1 system.

It is funny to me that there isn't more fussing about this in the media. I am partial to believe it is because Boise State choked and lost. I would love to see an ACC team play!

Since i pointed a problem, i'll post 2 potential solutions to the problem.

#1) 8 team playoff: Rules are that BCS conference winners get an automatic bid (minus the big least). At least 1 automatic non-BCS bid will be awarded to a team, provided they finish in the top 15. The 4 major bowl games host the 1st round matchups, and then those locations host the semi-finals and final on a rotating basis. So each season, 3 of the "bowls" get 2 games, and only 1 location gets left out. This actually makes more money that the current setup. AP rankings are used, mainly because the coaches have no right voting in a poll since most coaches don't actually watch any games and are heavily biased in their voting. For the at-large selections, preference is given to the teams with the fewest number of losses. Seeding is determined more based on ranking, and less on winning the conference. There are no limit on the number of teams a particular conference can send to the playoff.

Here are my teams: LSU (SEC champ), Clemson (ACC champ), Oregon (Pac-12 champ), Oklahoma St (Big XII champ), and Wisconsin (B1g 10 champ). I awarded the 3 at-large bids to Alabama (their record and season speaks for itself), Stanford (same reasons as 'bama), and Boise St (due to auto-bid from non-BCS)

Finally, here are the seedings and brackets for the games:

1 LSU vs 8 Clemson (Sugar)

4 Stanford vs 5 Oregon (Rose)

2 Oklahoma St vs 7 Boise St (Fiesta)

3 Alabama vs 6 Wisconsin (Orange)

Edited by Ramius

#2 and preferred solution) 16 team playoff: The rules are the same as the 8 team playoff, with some minor tweaks. Non-BCS conference champs receive an auto-bid, provided the champ is ranked in the top 25, along with the remaining at-large selections. At-large teams are selected under the same rules as the 8-team, including the non-BCS bids. The higher seed team hosts the 1st round matchup, and from the second round on, the same rules as the 8-team game locations apply. Teams that lose in the 1st round are minor bowl eligible.

Here are my teams: LSU (SEC champ), Clemson (ACC champ), Oregon (Pac-12 champ), Oklahoma St (Big XII champ), and Wisconsin (B1g 10 champ). Non-BCS champs receiving bids are: WVU (Big least champ), TCU (Mountain West champ), and Southern Miss (Conference USA champ).

8 at large bids are awarded to, in this order: Alabama (their record and season speaks for itself), Stanford (same reasons as 'bama), Boise St (due to auto-bid from non-BCS), Arkansas (record), Houston (12-1 with the only loss in a conf. champ game), Kansas St. (record), Michigan (record), and VT (record). Just missing the cut was South Carolina. Southern Cal would have received an at-large had they been post-season eligible. The choice between the final 2 and the 1st out was difficult.

Finally, here are the seedings and brackets:

1 LSU vs 16 WVU

8 Boise St. vs 9 Kansas St.

4 Stanford vs 13 Virginia Tech

5 Oregon vs 12 TCU

3 Alabama vs 14 Michigan

6 Arkansas vs 11 Clemson

2 Oklahoma St. vs 15 Southern Miss

7 Wisconsin vs 10 Houston

Edited by Ramius

#2 and preferred solution) 16 team playoff: The rules are the same as the 8 team playoff, with some minor tweaks. Non-BCS conference champs receive an auto-bid, provided the champ is ranked in the top 25, along with the remaining at-large selections. At-large teams are selected under the same rules as the 8-team, including the non-BCS bids. The higher seed team hosts the 1st round matchup, and from the second round on, the same rules as the 8-team game locations apply. Teams that lose in the 1st round are minor bowl eligible.

Here are my teams: LSU (SEC champ), Clemson (ACC champ), Oregon (Pac-12 champ), Oklahoma St (Big XII champ), and Wisconsin (B1g 10 champ). Non-BCS champs receiving bids are: WVU (Big least champ), TCU (Mountain West champ), and Southern Miss (Conference USA champ).

8 at large bids are awarded to, in this order: Alabama (their record and season speaks for itself), Stanford (same reasons as 'bama), Boise St (due to auto-bid from non-BCS), Arkansas (record), Houston (12-1 with the only loss in a conf. champ game), Kansas St. (record), Michigan (record), and VT (record). Just missing the cut was South Carolina. Southern Cal would have received an at-large had they been post-season eligible. The choice between the final 2 and the 1st out was difficult.

Finally, here are the seedings and brackets:

1 LSU vs 16 WVU

8 Boise St. vs 9 Kansas St.

4 Stanford vs 13 Virginia Tech

5 Oregon vs 12 TCU

3 Alabama vs 14 Michigan

6 Arkansas vs 11 Clemson

2 Oklahoma St. vs 15 Southern Miss

7 Wisconsin vs 10 Houston

I like this but would tweak it a little. Season starts Labor day weekend as it does & each team can play no more then 11 games in regular season. All seasons end the week before Thanksgiving & all league has a conference championship game Thanksgiving Weekend. They could promote the hell out of this with the winner of each conference championship game gets an automatic bid. That will give you 11 teams( I believe there are currently 11 conferences). You then take 3 wild cards based on whatever teams are left BCS ranking is highest. You then seed them according to BCS/computer ranking with the 1st 2 seeds getting a bye. First week of December you play the first round 3 vs 14, 4 vs 13 etc.. with the higher seed hosting the game with one contingency, you need to be conference champ to host the 1st round. I believe that would ensure fan support for the first round games. Take this year, Stanford gets in as a wild card not too sure how their student body how eager they would be to fill there place up if they hosted Arkansas St of the sun belt. But you better believe Ark St will have no problem filling that place up. If any higher seed bitches about this, simply win your conference & you will be at least guaranted being home for the first round. 2nd round you will have 8 teams(1st 2 teams with the bye & the 6 winners from the first round) Reseed them & the higher seed(no matter if their conference champ or not) gets to be home this week. After this weekend, what you are left with is 4 teams, you take those 4 teams & rotate the BCS bowls who host them. You will have 3 games each year(2 semifinal games & the final game) for 3 BCS bowls. Unfortunately one BCS bowl will be left out each year but what can you do? You play the semifinal games New Years day * the NC the following week. Every team that gets knocked out by the 2nd round are now eligible for the remaining bowls with the one BCS bowl that gets left out in a particular year with the first 2 pick of teams that they want to play, that way you keep the precious bowl tradition alive. This really does not extend the season by much & please don't cme back with the argument that acedemics should be the number one priority. Noone argues about the NCAA Tourney, which if the team makes the final four the players are pretty much out of town for a month. My way, noone could argue, noone could say well the little guy did not get a shot & my guess is those 3 weeks of the conference championship games & the 1st 2 rounds of the playoffs would be as big if not bigger then the NFL Playoffs. Everybody would make an absolute fortune which when all is said & done, the most important thing to these greedy univerity presidents.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.