Former Bills and their performance

jahnyc

A fair number of former Bills would be decent starters or back-ups for us. Some have played well this year. Do we lose more players who are decent performers to free agency, trades and waivers than most teams?

A quick look (and I am probably missing some):

Youboty: 8 tackles, fumble recovery and touchdown today.

Poz: Has played well in the middle for the Jags.

Maybin: Two sacks today (but I am glad he is not with the Bills).

Greer: Good corner for the Saints.

Peters: All Pro left tackle for the Eagles.

Lynch: Slow start this year, but over 100 yards rushing today.

Whitner: Has played well for the 49ers.

Evans: Injured for most of the season.

Winfield: Out for season (but has been very strong in prior years).

Clements: Has played well for the Bengals.

Hangartner: Starting guard for the Panthers.

I'll put my comments in parentheses following yours… just for fun.

A fair number of former Bills would be decent starters or back-ups for us. Some have played well this year. Do we lose more players who are decent performers to free agency, trades and waivers than most teams?

A quick look (and I am probably missing some):

Youboty: 8 tackles, fumble recovery and touchdown today. (Couldn't stay healthy with the Bills. Was constantly injured. Did look good when he played.)

Poz: Has played well in the middle for the Jags. (We asked him to cover the deep third like Urlacher… except there's only one Urlacher. Mis-utilized.)

Maybin: Two sacks today (but I am glad he is not with the Bills). (One-trick pony and both sacks today came on Spiller mistakes but still mis-utilized.)

Greer: Good corner for the Saints. (No one wanted to see him go. Shouldn't have let him enter the last year of his contract. Mistake by the Bills.)

Peters: All Pro left tackle for the Eagles. (Polarizing player but I believe had he been treated fairly from the beginning that he wouldn't have become a malcontent.)

Lynch: Slow start this year, but over 100 yards rushing today. (I have to give Peter Carroll, who I don't like, credit. Lynch has looked great… better than I thought he was.)

Whitner: Has played well for the 49ers. (He's also been victimized on 3 big plays in their two losses. Decent football player who took less money to leave.)

Evans: Injured for most of the season. (In my mind he's looking like one of those players who has a very short prime, not so different than Peerless Price.)

Winfield: Out for season (but has been very strong in prior years). (Awesome player, one of my all-time faves. Mistake letting him reach the end of his contract.)

Clements: Has played well for the Bengals. (Has he? I always thought Clements would be a perfect safety… a bit clunky for a CB IMO.)

Hangartner: Starting guard for the Panthers. (He's starting due to injury. He's not better than Wood, Levitre, Urbik, or Rinehart and he was making more money than all of them.)

I'd add that some of these players needed to move on… sometimes it's best for both player and team.

You didn't mention McGahee who's had a rebirth in Denver. He and Lynch are guys that the team couldn't work things out with. They were despised by many fans and the team jettisoned them although Gailey did seem to try to salvage the Lynch relationship, making him a starter, etc. I believe that Lynch didn't want to be here…

Of your list, Greer and Winfield are the two guys I wish they would have kept at almost any cost (but pre-emptively for less). They wanted to be here, were well-liked, etc. Of course we are all saddened that Pat Williams didn't finish his career here.

edit: And had either Lynch or McGahee wanted to be here, we wouldn't have needed to draft Spiller AND we'd have a great one-two punch at running back with Freddy.

I'll put my comments in parentheses following yours… just for fun.

I'd add that some of these players needed to move on… sometimes it's best for both player and team.

You didn't mention McGahee who's had a rebirth in Denver. He and Lynch are guys that the team couldn't work things out with. They were despised by many fans and the team jettisoned them although Gailey did seem to try to salvage the Lynch relationship, making him a starter, etc. I believe that Lynch didn't want to be here…

Of your list, Greer and Winfield are the two guys I wish they would have kept at almost any cost (but pre-emptively for less). They wanted to be here, were well-liked, etc. Of course we are all saddened that Pat Williams didn't finish his career here.

edit: And had either Lynch or McGahee wanted to be here, we wouldn't have needed to draft Spiller AND we'd have a great one-two punch at running back with Freddy.

Let's not forget that Lynch did some stupid things off the field, and that was another big reason why the Bills let him go.