I'm no fan of NASCAR or the Obamas

/dev/null

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THAT was considered booing? That was more of a smattering of boos than a blistering attack of boos, IMO...

Yes, but its against Michelle My Belle. So its bad. And evil. And racist.

Meanwhile, Jimmy Fallon's !@#$ house band blindsides Michelle Bachmann and not a word from the PC police.

The beat goes on.

Edited by RkFast

I'm lovin' the hypocrisy of this thread!!! There was a smattering of boos for the current First lady at a NASCAR event of all places... A group that has already been bashed by her husband, as clinging to their guns and Bibles, and some think it's disrespectful???

Your right... PBO himself should have gone in her stead... That would show those "rednecks" who's boss!!! Just make me wonder how loud the "applause" would have been for him???!!!?????

Can anyone explain to me what's behind the idea of respecting the office and what exactly that means?

Answer, sort of:

Respect is earned, not a right.

And this wasn't a political event, it was a photo op.

The fact is that the office has already earned its respect. America is a great country, because we have had some great people, and, to a lesser extent, we have had some of those great people hold the office of President. Therefore, our office derives its respect directly from our largely outstanding results as a country.

If we were talking the President of Spain, then how much real respect are we talking about for that office? The men who have held it have basically done poorly or nothing: not a lot of respect for that office on the world stage. The world hasn't been made significantly safer/better by the office of the President of Spain.

And, from a military perspective, the office of the President is the top end of every soldier's chain of command. The philosophy is simple and it works: your personal feelings about those in your chain of command are separated from the office they hold. You WILL respect the office. It's up to you whether you respect the person that currently(<--important word) holds it. The office gives you your orders, not the person. That's why orders are to be obeyed completely, and, equally, illegal orders are to be disobeyed completely. If it has nothing to do with the person, then it makes it simple. It must work this way, or the military cannot succeed.

In this case, there was no political statement happening here...or, nothing happening on behalf of the person, or the person continuing in the office. The office was the only thing attending the NASCAR event, period. As such, booing the office is disrespectful. Booing is a choice, and those that are unhappy with the First Lady could just as easily have chose to say nothing, thereby maintaining their respect for the office, and their class.

Edited by OCinBuffalo