Modern Warfare 3 vs Battlefield 3

/dev/null

Polarizing is a good term especially in terms of the lower end klipsch models. Lots of midbass presence, forward midrange and A LOT of sparkle on the top end. Too much in fact for myself. I can see why many people would like them especially for home theater. I just prefer a more balanced speaker.

Have you ever heard any of the DeVore Fidelity line? Even though Im a planar guy, I fell in love with them. They are the most balanced and transparent box speakers I've ever heard. I owned the Super 8s for a few years and really enjoyed them. Pair them up with some nice tube gear and it's heaven! (Although you may not be much of a tube guy if you're strict about not having any any discolorations.)

Never heard of DeVore Fidelity speakers. I like vacuum tube amplifiers for things like headphones, but I stick to solid state amps for home theater.

Same here. I have a tube preamp that I love for music, but it has a bypass on it where I can use my s/s gear for HT. Well, my amps are hybrid amps, so they aren't entirely s/s, but you get the idea.

Keep the DeVore line in the back of your mind if you ever get a chance to listen and/or if in the market for a new set of mains :thumbsup:

Same here. I have a tube preamp that I love for music, but it has a bypass on it where I can use my s/s gear for HT. Well, my amps are hybrid amps, so they aren't entirely s/s, but you get the idea.

Keep the DeVore line in the back of your mind if you ever get a chance to listen and/or if in the market for a new set of mains :thumbsup:

You guys are quite the audiophiles compared to myself. My setup all started with the Klipsch 5.1 quintet package (5 years ago) and i've been adding in things here and there where I can.

I've got a question...which game is better for somebody that'd play it for the first time?

I haven't played any of the previous versions of MW or Battlefield...but I really like what I see with the Battlefield commercials and reviews and it'd look fun to casually play.

To me it depends on which type of gameplay you are interested in. If you just want to find a game and run around shooting other people then MW is probably the better bet (i've never played it though). Battlefield focuses on team play and of course vehicle warfare (hell yeah), so going lone wolf doesn't give you the best experience. It is still fun, but optimal to play with a team mentality.

You guys are quite the audiophiles compared to myself. My setup all started with the Klipsch 5.1 quintet package (5 years ago) and i've been adding in things here and there where I can.

To me it depends on which type of gameplay you are interested in. If you just want to find a game and run around shooting other people then MW is probably the better bet (i've never played it though). Battlefield focuses on team play and of course vehicle warfare (hell yeah), so going lone wolf doesn't give you the best experience. It is still fun, but optimal to play with a team mentality.

If your having a hard time being infantry its nice to be able to hop in a tank and do some damage. Even if your just a gunner on top.

Edited by Dante

the problem with being an audiophile is that sometimes we get so caught up in gear that we forget to just sit back and enjoy the music, too! lol.

I'm not a huge gamer, but when I picked up an xbox 360 a couple years ago and started playing GTA IV, I was really impressed with the sound quality. It added a lot to the gaming experience.

the problem with being an audiophile is that sometimes we get so caught up in gear that we forget to just sit back and enjoy the music, too! lol.

I'm not a huge gamer, but when I picked up an xbox 360 a couple years ago and started playing GTA IV, I was really impressed with the sound quality. It added a lot to the gaming experience.

EA/Dice do an absolute amazing job with their sound (Bad Company 2 was amazing as well). The sound of the weapons, explosions, and jets screeching above makes for a very immersive experience. My only complaint is the game is 5.1 channel output. I just learned to turn off Dolby on the PS3 so it pushes PCM to my receiver, and then have the receiver push DTS in 7.1. Wow what a difference.

EA/Dice do an absolute amazing job with their sound (Bad Company 2 was amazing as well). The sound of the weapons, explosions, and jets screeching above makes for a very immersive experience. My only complaint is the game is 5.1 channel output. I just learned to turn off Dolby on the PS3 so it pushes PCM to my receiver, and then have the receiver push DTS in 7.1. Wow what a difference.

I always geek out to a "DTS" logo...I had no idea they had games with a DTS track...that is badass!

As much as I love the newer lossless formats even more, I still love the audio on my Saving Private Ryan DTS DVD. The first twenty mins of that movie on my audio rig will leave you shaking.

I always geek out to a "DTS" logo...I had no idea they had games with a DTS track...that is badass!

As much as I love the newer lossless formats even more, I still love the audio on my Saving Private Ryan DTS DVD. The first twenty mins of that movie on my audio rig will leave you shaking.

I've always loved the beach landing scene, and use that as my measuring stick when I get new components.

If your setup leaves you shaking with Saving Private Ryan, then BF3 will leave you needing to change your shorts.

I've always loved the beach landing scene, and use that as my measuring stick when I get new components.

If your setup leaves you shaking with Saving Private Ryan, then BF3 will leave you needing to change your shorts.

:lol:

I ended up opting for neither an held out for the new assassin's creed.

I went to pick up a copy after work. Took the wrong exit :oops: for a nearby Gamestop. Remembered there was a Wal-Mart® off the exit I took and figured WTH, I'm here.

Only $40 at Wal-Mart®

• 1 month later...

I've had COD: MW3 since it came out and while I enjoy it, I still see a lot of room for improvement. Had a gift card to Best Buy so I figured I'd try out Battlefield 3. Just about to poke a bowl and enjoy. Hopefully it meets my expectations!

I've been with COD since it came out. I decided to try BF3 a few weeks ago and I can honestly say it's slightly better in all aspects. It did take a week of getting used to it but now that I'm comfortable, I love it. COD was getting stale, that said it is still a great game. The graphics and sounds on COD are great but they are surreal on BF3.

I wish both games didn't come out at the same time.

I've been with COD since it came out. I decided to try BF3 a few weeks ago and I can honestly say it's slightly better in all aspects. It did take a week of getting used to it but now that I'm comfortable, I love it. COD was getting stale, that said it is still a great game. The graphics and sounds on COD are great but they are surreal on BF3.

I wish both games didn't come out at the same time.

The biggest problem with COD MW is the Infinity Ward that created it no longer exists. The remnants of the company just put a new coat of paint on the original. I have BF3 and like the team aspect of it. Too many times on objective games in MW everyone ran around like Rambo instead of playing to complete the objective.

I received MW3 as a gift for Christmas and am thinking of just exchanging it for Skyrim.

My opinion of the two is as follows:

MW3 is much more of an arcade game than BF3. Battlefield wins the realism award by a mile, IMO. However, not anyone can pick up a controller and enjoy playing Battlefield, as a previous poster alluded to, it takes time getting used to that a lot of people aren't willing to go through. MW3 is basically a wash and rinse repeat of the previous 3 COD games and has just gotten boring for me. With MW3, virtually anyone can pick up a controller and enjoy themselves without hating the game within 5 minutes. If you know what you are doing with FPS games, Battlefield 3 is the way to go. IMO, what is hurting BF3 from becoming the number 1 FPS is that so many people are still stuck on COD because that is what they are used to playing. Also, I've noticed that when people try switching from COD to BF, they don't like going through the learning process necessary to be good at BF, so they say screw it and go back to what they know.

Whats with the massive amount of cheating in MW3? It makes the mulitplayer Un-playable.

That's COD for ya. Ever since the first MW the game has been ravaged with cheaters. I know I sound like a homer for BF3, but they deal with cheaters much quicker, so fast that you rarely ever encounter one. A good portion of the reason for that is the dedicated servers that BF3 runs. It is very hard (damn near impossible) to hack those servers without DICE knowing.