Where were these Refs on 1-8-2000??

flomoe

i thought the same thing. here you have the NFL, a multi-billion/zillion dollar industry, and you have your league's refs making calls like THAT?! what if that was at the end of the game, with 2:05 left, and a team didn't have any timeouts? it makes my !@#$ing head hurt. in today's day and age with technology, refs should have a tiny ear bud in with a direct line to a replay booth so they don't !@#$ up the most basic of calls.

i thought the same thing. here you have the NFL, a multi-billion/zillion dollar industry, and you have your league's refs making calls like THAT?! what if that was at the end of the game, with 2:05 left, and a team didn't have any timeouts? it makes my !@#$ing head hurt. in today's day and age with technology, refs should have a tiny ear bud in with a direct line to a replay booth so they don't !@#$ up the most basic of calls.

How about just getting better quality people as referees? Get some young people in there who can move quickly and make better judgements. How many times has there been a fumble and there is no ref around the ball?

How about just getting better quality people as referees? Get some young people in there who can move quickly and make better judgements. How many times has there been a fumble and there is no ref around the ball?

I agree wholeheartedly. The refereeing in the NFL seems to have gone downhill over the last decade. I don't know if it's because they are relying to much on instant replay or that they are just getting older without much turnover. Either way, with the amount of mistakes, blown calls and non-calls throughout the league, it might be time to revisit the system in general.

I am sure there is some sort of referee union that has a stranglehold on the NFL but after watching that ridiculous call in the Philly/Dallas game, something needs to change.

The call was so blatantly missed that everyone not wearing stripes seemed utterly stunned at the call.

I agree wholeheartedly. The refereeing in the NFL seems to have gone downhill over the last decade. I don't know if it's because they are relying to much on instant replay or that they are just getting older without much turnover. Either way, with the amount of mistakes, blown calls and non-calls throughout the league, it might be time to revisit the system in general.

I am sure there is some sort of referee union that has a stranglehold on the NFL but after watching that ridiculous call in the Philly/Dallas game, something needs to change.

The call was so blatantly missed that everyone not wearing stripes seemed utterly stunned at the call.

It seems like this is the case, but you'd think that the on-field officials would be more quick to make the call. It's as if they hired a bunch of guys who generally have problems making decisions. Just make the call as you believe it to be correct. If you're wrong, replay will get it right.

Did anyone think that if this crew was officiating that particular playoff game, they would have called it a lateral, anyway?