Moorman LOST to Lechler

Mike32282

Lechler Named to Pro Bowl

Oakland Raiders punter Shane Lechler was named to the annual AFC/NFC Pro Bowl today. This is the second career Pro Bowl selection for Lechler, in his fifth year with the Raiders after being selected by the team in the fifth round of the 2000 NFL Draft. He was first selected to the AFC squad following the 2001 season. In his first Pro Bowl action, Lechler set the record for the longest punt with a 73-yarder.

Through 14 games in 2004, Lechler is averaging a league-best 47.6 yards per punt, a full three yards better than the next closest player. Lechler also serves as the holder on all field goal and extra point attempts. He has boomed at least one punt for 50 or more yards in each of his last 19 games dating back to 2003, the longest such streak since Mark Royals accomplished the feat in 27 straight games in 1997 and 98.

Of Lechler's 62 punts this season, 27 traveled at least 50 yards, with 10 punts traveling over 60 yards. He has been equally adept at pinning the opponent deep in their own territory, with 19 punts in 2004 being downed inside the opponents' 20-yard line. For his career, one in every three punts is downed inside the 20.

http://www.raiders.com/newsroom/newsroomNe...il.jsp?id=16994

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: the voters and :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Lechler.

173780[/snapback]

I agree! He got screwed again!

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: the voters

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Shane "Try punting in Buffalo" Lechler

Until they take the capability for fan voting out of the ProBowl, this will continue to happen. Fan involvement is not necessary in this area and only goes to keep the best from being rewarded by rewarding those with names or stats -- just see Reuben Brown

Until they take the capability for fan voting out of the ProBowl, this will continue to happen.  Fan involvement is not necessary in this area and only goes to keep the best from being rewarded by rewarding those with names or stats -- just see Reuben Brown

173791[/snapback]

I disagree. The players are just as bad when it comes to voting on name recognition or just voting for "their boys."

Do they weight the media / analyst votes differently than fan votes? This would be the best way to get around it and keep deserving players like Brian Moorman from getting screwed.

I can see it now, Dick Endberg casting his ballot for Brian "Thunderfoot" Moorman.

One thing I know:  There are no football fans who love their punter the way Bills fans love Moorman.

173815[/snapback]

That's because, on probably 4 or 5 Sundays this year, he's been not just the best punter in the league (which should be patently obvious to anyone with a clue), but the Bills best player.

Another thing that probably screwed Moorman besides weather: the delta between Lindell and Janikowski. While our best option is usually punting from the opponent's 33, the Raiders have no qualms about 55-yard figgies. You don't do your average a whole lot of favors punting in the enemy's territory as often as we do, even when you're sticking them inside their own 10.

Moorman is head and shoulders better than the vastly overrated Lechler and Hentrich, and that should be obvious to anyone who's seen them play.

I really would have liked to see Brian get his props this year. What do we care, he's locked up for the next 5 years (TD recognizing talent again? gasp!)