Since 1990...

Since, the National Football League introduced the infamous regular season bye week in1990, the Buffalo Bills have had mixed outcomes--before and after their respective byes.

Game Leading Up To Their Bye Week...

From 1990-2010, including this past weekends 2011 loss to the New York Giants at MetLife Stadium, the Bills have a stagering 8-15 record.

NOTABLE MENTION: Last time the Bills won a game leading into their bye, the Wade Phillips lead--Buffalo Bills team beating the Pete Carroll lead--New England Patriots, 17-7, at Ralph Wilson Stadium in 1999. The 1999 team was the last Bills team to make the playoffs and the last time Bruce, Reed & Thurman played together.

Going Back...back...back....

2011...Loss @ Giants........Bills record before bye, 4-2.

2010...Loss vs. Jaguars........Bills record before bye, 0-5.

2009...Loss vs. Texans........Bills record before bye, 3-5.

2008...Loss @ Cardinals........Bills record before bye, 4-1.

2007...Loss vs. Dallas.......Bills record before bye, 1-4.

2006...Loss vs. Patriots........Bills record before bye, 2-5.

2005...Loss @ Patriots.........Bills record before bye, 3-5.

2004...Loss @ Oakland.........Bills record before bye, 0-2.

2003...Loss @ Chiefs.........Bills record before bye, 4-4.

2002...Loss vs. Patriots........Bills record before bye, 5-4.

2001...Loss vs. Jets.........Bills record before bye, 0-4.

2000...Loss @ Jets.........Bills record before bye, 2-1.

1999...Won vs. Patriots..........Bills record before bye, 8-4.

1998...Loss vs. Rams..........Bills record before bye, 0-3.

1997...Won vs. Colts............Bills record before bye, 2-2.

1996...Won vs. Cowboys.......Bills record before bye, 3-1.

1995...Won vs. Colts........Bills record before bye, 2-1.

1994....Loss vs. Colts.........Bills record before bye, 4-3.

**1993b...Won vs. Oilers....Bills record before bye, 4-1.

**1993a...Won @ Cowboys.......Bills record before bye, 2-0.

1992...Loss @ L.A. Raiders....Bills record before bye, 4-2.

1991...Won vs. Bengals.....Bills record before bye, 7-1.

1990...Won vs. L.A. Raiders.......Bills record before bye, 4-1.

Game After Their Bye Week...

From 1990-2010, the Bills have posted a record of 14-8 after their respective bye.

NOTABLE MENTION: Last time the Bills won after their bye, the Richardless Jauron lead--Buffalo Bills team beat the slumping San Diego Chargers at Ralph Wilson Stadium, 23-14, in the 2008 Stadium Power Outage Bowl.

Going Back...Back...Back...

2010...Loss @ Ravens...Buffalo record after bye, 4-7..........Final Standing: 4-12.

2009...Loss @ Titans...Buffalo record after bye, 3-5...............Final Standing: 6-10.

2008...Won vs. Chargers....Buffalo record after bye, 3-8............Final Standing: 7-9.

2007...Won vs. Ravens...Buffalo record after bye, 6-5.............Final Standing: 7-9.

2006...Won vs. Packers....Buffalo record after bye, 5-4.............Final Standing: 7-9.

2005...Won vs. Chiefs....Buffalo record after bye, 2-6..............Final Standing: 5-11.

2004...Loss @ Patriots...Buffalo record after bye, 9-5.............Final Standing: 9-7.

2003...Loss @ Dallas....Buffalo record after bye, 2-6.............Final Standing: 6-10.

2002...Loss @ Chiefs...Buffalo record after bye, 3-4................Final Standing: 8-8.

2001....Won @ Jaguars...Buffalo record after bye, 3-9.................Final Standing: 3-13.

2000...Loss vs. Colts...Buffalo record after bye, 6-7................Final Standing: 8-8.

1999...Loss vs. Giants...Buffalo record after bye, 3-1............Final Standing: 11-5.

1998...Won vs. 49ers...Buffalo record after bye, 10-3................Final Standing: 10-6.

1997...Won vs. Lions...Buffalo record after bye, 4-8...............Final Standing: 6-10.

1996...Won vs. Colts...Buffalo record after bye, 7-5.............Final Standing: 10-6.

1995...Won @ Browns...Buffalo record after bye, 8-5............Final Standing: 10-6.

1994...Won vs. Chiefs...Buffalo record after bye, 3-6..............Final Standing: 7-9.

**1993b...Won @ Jets....Buffalo record after second bye, 8-3.............Final Standing: 12-4.

**1993a...Loss vs. Miami...Buffalo record after first bye, 4-1.

1992...Won @ Jets...Buffalo record after bye, 7-3...............Final Standing: 11-5.

1991...Won vs. Patriots...Buffalo record after bye, 6-2..............Final Standing: 13-3.

1990...Won vs. Jets...Buffalo record after bye, 9-2...............Final Standing: 13-3.

Leading Up To The Bills vs. Redskins Game... Historically, after Buffalo's bye week, the Bills have good odds to pull out a victory...meaning...even with different players...schemes....general managers....head coaches...Buffalo has a good chance to win it's first game in this Toronto Series!

It is also good to note, that Buffalo leads the regular season series vs. the Redskins, 7-4!

Away: 5-2

Home: 2-2

Granted, Toronto is scheduled as a home game...

But, Buffalo going into a bye week...WITH a winning record WITH two losses or less...WITH two weeks to prepare for their respective opponent...Bills have a record of 8-3!

NOTABLE MENTION: John Beck could be the Redskins starting QB....Last time, John Beck played against the Bills he was a rookie filling in for Cleo Lemon...John Beck's record filling in and/or starting at QB: 0-6!

:thumbsup: GO BILLS! :thumbsup:

Edited by KollegeStudnet

If you would have given us this same brand of in-depth analysis back in 1978 for Apple Computers, we'd all be millionaires.

Nice work brother....but much like charting stocks, the final outcome depends more on injuries, home field/away, game planning/adjustments, etc. Statistical analysis doesn't come into play much in football (in my humble opinion).

True, on any given Sunday...anything can happen! Just trying to steer the ship...for the positive! :D

I just wanted to point out the win/loss record of games going into the bye...compared to win/loss record after...found it somewhat interesting, some of the Bills games before the bye and how much they lost by--some Bills sqauds looked like they packed it in and started the bye early! I'd like to see how that is for each team...maybe it's a trend?!

-RIP Mr. Hull

Edited by KollegeStudnet

Just a note, with the new CBA there are new rules regarding practice during the bye week:

one of the newer rules scripted into the Collective Bargaining Agreement completed just before the start of the 2011 training camp between the NFL owners and the NFL Players Association:

Number of mandatory consecutive days off during the bye week.

That would be four - straight. None of this a day off on Tuesday, practice on Wednesday and Thursday, a day off on Friday, practice on Saturday and a day off on Sunday and Monday.

Week 5 bye week teams were 1-5 in Week 6.

Edited by Carey Bender

Just a note, with the new CBA there are new rules regarding practice during the bye week:

Week 5 bye week teams were 1-5 in Week 6.

I really want to do a check on every team since 1990...But, with school, work and a ice cold 30 pack of beer....I probably won't get around to it until---next season! ha

fix ur title more folks might read

True, the "trade CJ to the Lions for a 2nd rounder after the deadline has passed" post & the "Let's sign T.O." post get more looks... :w00t:

Edited by KollegeStudnet

Another interesting point, going back to Beck's college days at BYU...the majority of John Beck's games under center...the offense sputters in the first quarter. By the second half, Beck adapts and the offense stats tend to increase.

Granted, like his college days, his performance in pro games tend to be similar, but the only difference in pro game starts he is 0-6...

However, he still has issues with slow starts and also has issues when defenses confuse and mask their plays. Beck, even going back to college, falters under pressure on blitz packages! When he does sense the blitz, instead tucking and running, he quickly dumps it off to either the TE or RB.

Since, the Bills don't have no pass rush--which is evident....Buffalo needs to get some pressure on Beck. Also, getting out to an early lead is a must!

Fantasy wise, Fred Davis will get an increase in looks by Beck...Beck loves to utilize his TE's and Davis is available in almost every league I'm in!

So far in the 2011 regular season, NFL teams playing the game right after their respective bye are 3-9.

Granted, on any given Sunday--anything can happen! I would also like to point out, that the majoirty of the NFL teams that lost their game right after their respective byes--have losing records.

I'm expecting Fitzmagic this Sunday, because I'm going to be hanging with 10+ 'Skins fans, to my, one Bills fan! Meaning, myself, the only Bills fan I've met in all of the Salt Lake City sports bars in 10 years!

Edited by KollegeStudnet

So far in the 2011 regular season, NFL teams playing the game right after their respective bye are 3-9.

Granted, on any given Sunday--anything can happen! I would also like to point out, that the majoirty of the NFL teams that lost their game right after their respective byes--have losing records.

I'm expecting Fitzmagic this Sunday, because I'm going to be hanging with 10+ 'Skins fans, to my, one Bills fan! Meaning, myself, the only Bills fan I've met in all of the Salt Lake City sports bars in 10 years!

In another thread someone, I think it was San Jose, did a crude analysis of the teams that have had their byes and found that most were poor teams and were not favored to win the games...I think.

In another thread someone, I think it was San Jose, did a crude analysis of the teams that have had their byes and found that most were poor teams and were not favored to win the games...I think.

Crude? I thought it was rather refined. :)

Here's an edited version of what I wrote earlier:

Of the 12 bye teams, only 4 had winning records and 8 had losing records.

Of the 4 teams which had winning records, only 2 of them still have winning records.

The teams which were favored in these post-bye games went 10-2.

The teams which won after their bye have a combined record of 9-9.

The teams which lost after their bye have a combined record of 19-35.

Here are the results:

Cleveland (3-3) loss to Oakland

Dallas (3-3) loss to New England

St Louis (0-6) loss to Green Bay

Miami (0-6 ) loss to NY Jets

Washington (3-3 ) loss to Philadelphia

Baltimore (4-2) win over Houston

Denver (2-4) win over Miami

Tennessee (3-3) loss to Houston

Kansas City (3-3 ) win over Oakland

Arizona (1-5) loss to Pittsburgh

San Diego (4-2 ) loss to Jets

Seattle (2-4 ) loss to Cleveland

Obviously the 3-9 records of teams coming off the bye week has a lot more to do with how good that team is and who their opponents were than the bye itself.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan