Sully's article and team chemistry

Link: http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/jerry-sullivan/article595538.ece

Now, I haven't been one to credit Sully with an overabundance of insight. But he does mention something that Chan has done that really is the most important part of turning this team around: our chemistry.

Raise your hand here if you thought the Bills were overloaded with talent this year? I wouldn't have. I would stress that the reason why we're doing well is that we AREN'T. No Prima Donnas. No one demanding the ball. What we have is a journeyman QB/WR/RB trio (Fitz, Stevie and Freddy) and a shaky offensive line which has an offensive system tailored specifically to maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses.

I kept thinking last week that the Bills were the polar opposite of the Eagles. The Eagles were expected to succeed (and are still favored this week over the Redskins) because they had brought in so much star power. The Bills came in with young players who were late picks, who weren't expected to have the talent to excel in the NFL and a bunch of free agents who were considered too old and injured to be effective. The Bills walked away the winners while the Eagles slumped to 1-4.

I'm not promising anything. I'm not saying we'll make the playoffs (though a 5-1 start would sure help :thumbsup: ) but what I can say is this is the most entertaining Bills team to watch in years. The last time I felt this way was back in 2008, another time when we went 4-1 to start...but this time, we've done it against heavy hitters.

Link: http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/jerry-sullivan/article595538.ece

Now, I haven't been one to credit Sully with an overabundance of insight. But he does mention something that Chan has done that really is the most important part of turning this team around: our chemistry.

Raise your hand here if you thought the Bills were overloaded with talent this year? I wouldn't have. I would stress that the reason why we're doing well is that we AREN'T. No Prima Donnas. No one demanding the ball. What we have is a journeyman QB/WR/RB trio (Fitz, Stevie and Freddy) and a shaky offensive line which has an offensive system tailored specifically to maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses.

I kept thinking last week that the Bills were the polar opposite of the Eagles. The Eagles were expected to succeed (and are still favored this week over the Redskins) because they had brought in so much star power. The Bills came in with young players who were late picks, who weren't expected to have the talent to excel in the NFL and a bunch of free agents who were considered too old and injured to be effective. The Bills walked away the winners while the Eagles slumped to 1-4.

I'm not promising anything. I'm not saying we'll make the playoffs (though a 5-1 start would sure help :thumbsup: ) but what I can say is this is the most entertaining Bills team to watch in years. The last time I felt this way was back in 2008, another time when we went 4-1 to start...but this time, we've done it against heavy hitters.

I was just about to start a post on that article, but with a different focus.

During Wednesday's presser, someone asked Chan (something like), "when you play against the great coaches like Belichek, Reid, et al does it motivate you to beat them?" That's where the "No. No way. Nice try." comment came from. Gailey is the man for this job.

Now, I haven't been one to credit Sully with an overabundance of insight.

Hindsight he has; insight, not so much...

Gailey said he'll be head coach and offensive coordinator with the Bills. He said they'll hire someone with the title, but he'll be designing the offense and calling the plays. It's a formidable task for the best of coaches, and a tall order for a guy who hasn't been an NFL head coach in 10 years.

In time, I suspect Gailey will prove to be out of his depth as a head coach in today's NFL. I give him, oh, a 20 percent chance of succeeding.

But if nothing else, it'll be amusing, and make some good stories.

Jerry Sullivan, Buffalo News - January 20, 2010

(Thanks again to GoBillsInDallas for the most excellent September 28th thread - The Wayback Machine: January 20, 2010)