Jason Peters...Surprise Surprise..

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was Philly's 2nd first-round pick (Woods) and their 4thround pick (TE Shawn Nelson, released 9/3/2011) in 2009, and a 6th-round pick in 2010 (Danny Batten).

Peters is a fat, aging, unmotivated, greedy, oft-injured malcontent. IMO, the Bills made out just fine.

You and I will never agree on how good Peters was. I don't particularly like the way he treated this organization, but Jason Peters was/is a whole hell of a lot better than Wood imo. Certainly we can agree to disagree.

One point on which I will not bend.....it will be a VERY good thing for the Bills if Peters doesn't play on Sunday. Teams cannot just replace someone that good. They will have to adapt by taking away other weapons such as a TE or RB to compensate.

It's all good my Senatorial friend. :thumbsup:

You and I will never agree on how good Peters was. I don't particularly like the way he treated this organization, but Jason Peters was/is a whole hell of a lot better than Wood imo. Certainly we can agree to disagree.

One point on which I will not bend.....it will be a VERY good thing for the Bills if Peters doesn't play on Sunday. Teams cannot just replace someone that good. They will have to adapt by taking away other weapons such as a TE or RB to compensate.

It's all good my Senatorial friend. :thumbsup:

You are correct, my good man - the Bills are most definitley the beneficiaries of Peters' injury this Sunday - and Trent Cole's...and Antonio Dixon's...

Link - Antonio Dixon’s season over as Eagles’ troubles grow

As you well know, Bill, you hit the nail on the head regarding my dislike for Peters.

It's how he acted toward the organization that signed him as an undrafted FA, developed him, and tore up his existing contract to extend him at more $$$ - as well as how he let down his teammates, coaches, and Bills fans by selfishly holding out right up until the deadline for forfeiting a paycheck - that fuels my irreversible contempt for the fat man.

(Man, that was cathartic! B-) )

That said, I think you have to compare apples to apples - Wood's first 3 years as a Bill to Peters' first 3 years as a Bill - before saying FatMan was/is better than Wood.

In his first season Peters was cut after preseason, cleared waivers, signed to the practice squad, then signed to the active roster in November due to worries about Mike Williams. In 2005 he moved from TE/special teams to right tackle and in 2006 beat out Williams for the starting RT job (at which point the Bills generously tore up his old rookie contract and gave him a new one). Peters was great in 2006, but his first Pro Bowl selection didn't come until his 4th season in 2007 - and was immediately accompanied by demands for another new deal.

Eric Wood's first season was on a completely re-tooled o-line with 2 rookies and no returning starters (partially due to FatMan's departure), and ended abruptly in week 11 when his leg was snapped in half. I thought the speed - and completeness - of Wood's courageous recovery from such a devastating injury was nothing short of miraculous (and obviously required nothing less than total commitment, compared to FatMan's inability to take take of his nagging groin), yet clearly the severity of Wood's injury did not allow him to play to his full potential last season, his second in the league. Now, in this his third season, he's fully recovered. By most accounts - including several you've posted - the Bills o-line is acquitting itself surprising well in 2011, so far.

So maybe from this season forward, we can start comparing Wood's play to Peters' 3rd season and beyond. That would be a more fair comparison of the 2 players' talent at similar points in their careers, IMO.

Anyway, right you are - either NE* or the Jets are gonna lose this Sunday, so it's ALL good...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

18 and 1 baby!!!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by The Senator

That said, I think you have to compare apples to apples - Wood's first 3 years as a Bill to Peters' first 3 years as a Bill - before saying FatMan was/is better than Wood.

In his first season Peters was cut after preseason, cleared waivers, signed to the practice squad, then signed to the active roster in November due to worries about Mike Williams. In 2005 he moved from TE/special teams to right tackle and in 2006 beat out Williams for the starting RT job (at which point the Bills generously tore up his old rookie contract and gave him a new one). Peters was great in 2006, but his first Pro Bowl selection didn't come until his 4th season in 2007 - and was immediately accompanied by demands for another new deal.

Eric Wood's first season was on a completely re-tooled o-line with 2 rookies and no returning starters (partially due to FatMan's departure), and ended abruptly in week 11 when his leg was snapped in half. I thought the speed - and completeness - of Wood's courageous recovery from such a devastating injury was nothing short of miraculous (and obviously required nothing less than total commitment, compared to FatMan's inability to take take of his nagging groin), yet clearly the severity of Wood's injury did not allow him to play to his full potential last season, his second in the league. Now, in this his third season, he's fully recovered. By most accounts - including several you've posted - the Bills o-line is acquitting itself surprising well in 2011, so far.

So maybe from this season forward, we can start comparing Wood's play to Peters' 3rd season and beyond. That would be a more fair comparison of the 2 players' talent at similar points in their careers, IMO.

I'm cool with that. But lets please take into account what positions they play. I mean fair is fair, ya know? :)

In the 2009 draft, I was hoping that the Bills would draft Levitre at 28. I of course ran it by Badolbilz and R.Rich lol. As I recall, we had to trade up for him to get him in round 2, but my memory is hazy. :oops:

Yes, Wood was injured and the injury was quite serious. He is a guy who goes all out, and I do hope we can keep him. If not, keep your eye on Vlachos from Alabama.

As for Sunday, I am hoping that we can exploit the side vacated by Peters. Hopefully Merriman, Carrington, and even Batten will find their way to Vick.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!