Blake's Breakdown: Bengals in Week 4.

blakesbills16

Gotcha, well written and I enjoyed the the article. Keep it up :thumbsup:

Thanks brotha, glad you enjoyed it.

If you guys want to help support me and help me get some exposure, hit the like button or the tweet button under share and enjoy at the bottom of the article.

I appreciate all the support!

the page opened fine for me. decent analysis. if you were aiming for objectivity, i think you'll have to tone down the fandom a wee bit but solid writing nonetheless.

Opened OK here as well.

No issues with the writing. Not sure I get theintended purpose of "stars" in quotes for the Bengals? It could come across as snide or condescending, if that wasn't the intent, reconsider.

As far as football analysis goes, I would suggest breaking down the matchup between their O and our D and vice versa.

I believe ya that Fitz and the Goonies got it goin' on relative to Green, Dalton, and Benson LLC,

Fitz is up against the Bengals sack-happy 7 though. How does our O-line match up against their D?

Likewise the Bengals law firm will try their case against our D, which seems to be working in an "Either Or. Not Both" manner when it comes to run vs pass D.

How does our DL match up against their OL? How does Benson compare against McFadden as a running back? Do the Bengals run a good screen? Oak's screen gave us fits when we focused on the run. Keep in mind 3.4 YPC move

Some other pertinent facts you might have considered highlighting, or choosing to investigate a bit (source: NFL.com unless indicated)

-Bengals have been in the red zone only 6 times in 3 games, with 2 TD to show for it (source: Cold Hard Football Facts)

-Bengals O is last in the league in 3rd down conversion percentage (only 24%)

-For a young team, they're playing disciplined on offense: 6th in the league in offensive penalties

-They've given up 7 sacks and 13 QB hits in 3 games. That's almost top 3rd of the league. So what's up with the weak redzone and the poor 3rd down conversions?

-They are making 1st downs rushing to the left, but have about equal 1st downs and negative yardage rushes to the right - all of their 1st downs to the right went for 10+ yards though.

-Bengals D is drawing a lot of penalties - 27th in the league for defensive penalties

-They are not quite as good for points given up and 3rd down conversions allowed - slide to 6th or 7th.

Basically I see it as a top-rated Bills O battling a tough, top rated Cincinnati D, while a mediocre Cincinnati offense (24th in the league in points scored) tests out a mid-level Bills defense.

On paper, we should win a lower-scoring game. Maybe 17 to 9 or something like that.

If the Bills D doesn't come to play and the Cincy D shuts us down, they could easily surprise us.

OK, that kinda morphed into Hopeful's analysis, "Hope" there was some useful feedback for your writing in there.

I don't correct people's grammar or spelling on this forum but your asking so I'm telling…

I studied journalism in college and obviously the first thing is "who, what , where, when, why, and how." You have to dot your I's and cross your T's…

The reason I mention this is because it's Rey (not Ray) Maualuga (good job on his last name though) and I noticed Leon hall instead of Hall.

The reason that this is important is simply because it's hard to gain any credibility when your product has typos and misspellings.

The content was solid and thorough. Good job.

One piece of advice: Come here often and post often. You won't find a place with better writers or more acute minds when it comes to Bills football.

To be a good writer one has to write often and critically… sharpening your wits and your thoughts on this forum… just like the aspiring jazz or blues musician has to go to clubs and sit in with musicians and play and play some more.

By zealously participating here, you might find that you can quickly produce strong content… persuasive arguments, original thoughts, much more fluently.

If I'm being overbearing, forgive me. I like giving advice to younger people.

Go Bills and good luck.

This game is pretty important to our defense imo. They played well vs the Chiefs, terrible vs the Raiders, and "bad" vs the Pats, although considering how many points they're putting on everyone, bad is a relative term there. Cinci has an offense they should be able to stop. If they fail we'll know we have a deeper problem. If they succeed then at least they can stop the people they're supposed to - which is more than a lot of previous Bills teams can say.

I don't correct people's grammar or spelling on this forum but your asking so I'm telling…

I studied journalism in college and obviously the first thing is "who, what , where, when, why, and how." You have to dot your I's and cross your T's…

You are is contracted to "you're". :devil::blink:

Cincinnati's defense is as advertised. I don't buy the fact that they played two weaker teams, because even the 49ers and Broncos have played close games each week. Cleveland was supposed to win at home, but someone forgot to tell the Bengals defense that, and they had a healthy Hillis Week 1.

I was overly optimistic about the Raiders, but this week I am VERY reserved about this game... I don't like the placement of it after a huge emotional win and frankly it is such a classic trap game that you can throw the statistics out the window. Andy Dalton is not playing like a rookie, and they have Benson this week. I would have predicted a TD or less margin of victory, but hey, at least your analysis was very well done!!

Personally I think you can throw all that "it's a trap game, they're coming off a big win" crap out the window actually. The Bengals are a **** team and the Bills should win by 2 TDs at least.

Opened OK here as well.

No issues with the writing. Not sure I get theintended purpose of "stars" in quotes for the Bengals? It could come across as snide or condescending, if that wasn't the intent, reconsider.

As far as football analysis goes, I would suggest breaking down the matchup between their O and our D and vice versa.

I believe ya that Fitz and the Goonies got it goin' on relative to Green, Dalton, and Benson LLC,

Fitz is up against the Bengals sack-happy 7 though. How does our O-line match up against their D?

Likewise the Bengals law firm will try their case against our D, which seems to be working in an "Either Or. Not Both" manner when it comes to run vs pass D.

How does our DL match up against their OL? How does Benson compare against McFadden as a running back? Do the Bengals run a good screen? Oak's screen gave us fits when we focused on the run. Keep in mind 3.4 YPC move

Some other pertinent facts you might have considered highlighting, or choosing to investigate a bit (source: NFL.com unless indicated)

-Bengals have been in the red zone only 6 times in 3 games, with 2 TD to show for it (source: Cold Hard Football Facts)

-Bengals O is last in the league in 3rd down conversion percentage (only 24%)

-For a young team, they're playing disciplined on offense: 6th in the league in offensive penalties

-They've given up 7 sacks and 13 QB hits in 3 games. That's almost top 3rd of the league. So what's up with the weak redzone and the poor 3rd down conversions?

-They are making 1st downs rushing to the left, but have about equal 1st downs and negative yardage rushes to the right - all of their 1st downs to the right went for 10+ yards though.

-Bengals D is drawing a lot of penalties - 27th in the league for defensive penalties

-They are not quite as good for points given up and 3rd down conversions allowed - slide to 6th or 7th.

Basically I see it as a top-rated Bills O battling a tough, top rated Cincinnati D, while a mediocre Cincinnati offense (24th in the league in points scored) tests out a mid-level Bills defense.

On paper, we should win a lower-scoring game. Maybe 17 to 9 or something like that.

If the Bills D doesn't come to play and the Cincy D shuts us down, they could easily surprise us.

OK, that kinda morphed into Hopeful's analysis, "Hope" there was some useful feedback for your writing in there.

Very good points there, and I wanted to use a few that you touched on but feared the story be a little lengthy.

Like I said… I don't correct the spelling and grammar of others… and this is one of the reasons why.

But if someone is an aspiring journalist…

Thanks for pointing out those errors. As a journalism major, I'm sure you're aware of how easy it is to miss small typing errors like, especially after getting lost a sea of words when writing all day.

I expect my editors to correct those mistakes, but like I said, those are easy to miss, and I think our editors do a great job.

I agree with you, though. I'm sort of a stickler as well when it comes to being punctual in my articles because I also believe that a well written and grammatically correct piece improves it's validity.

This game is pretty important to our defense imo. They played well vs the Chiefs, terrible vs the Raiders, and "bad" vs the Pats, although considering how many points they're putting on everyone, bad is a relative term there. Cinci has an offense they should be able to stop. If they fail we'll know we have a deeper problem. If they succeed then at least they can stop the people they're supposed to - which is more than a lot of previous Bills teams can say.

Yes, this will be another good test for our defensive unit. Live I've stated before, I think we have a better pass rush this week due to the fact that the Bengals O-line is below-average.

I also believe that our defense will continue to improve as the season progresses (as long as everyone stays healthy). Remember, it's still early in the season.