Miami's win over Pats: Bills perspective.

Pittsburgh now goes into this week's game against Baltimore knowing they can clinch home field with a win. The players will clearly be up for the game with the knowledge that a win lets them clinch and rest aches and pains in week 17.

The Pats, meanwhile, are now in danger of losing their first-round bye. They are still in the driver's seat, but you can bet Belichick will have them ready against the Jets this week.

I realize that teams in the NFL play hard every week, but little differences in intensity can make a huge difference. To me, this Pats loss ensures that we will get Pittsburgh and New England's best games this week. And assuming Pitt does clinch vs Baltimore, we become the week 17 beneficiaries of their desire to rest up in week 17.

What I like is that maybe now Indy has a chance of catching the Pats for the 2 seed.  That gives them reason to play hard against Denver in two weeks.

170563[/snapback]

No, the Colts can't catch the Pats for the #2 seed because NE beat Indy head-to-head in the opener.

The San Diego Super Chargers, on the other hand...I'm curious to know what the tiebreakers would favor if SD & NE tie at 13-3.

What I like is that maybe now Indy has a chance of catching the Pats for the 2 seed.  That gives them reason to play hard against Denver in two weeks.

170563[/snapback]

Hmm, I don't know about that. If the Pats beat the Jets, which we need them to do, then they clinch the 2 seed I believe.

170563[/snapback]

I thought that too but NE owns the head to head tiebreaker with Indy. If NE, loses and Indy wins they will be tied. So then it will go to the last week. The problem is NE plays at 1:00 (against SF) and Indy plays at 4:00. By the time Indy kicks off, NE will have kicked the crap out of SF.

Pittsburgh now goes into this week's game against Baltimore knowing they can clinch home field with a win.  The players will clearly be up for the game with the knowledge that a win lets them clinch and rest aches and pains in week 17. 

The Pats, meanwhile, are now in danger of losing their first-round bye.  They are still in the driver's seat, but you can bet Belichick will have them ready against the Jets this week. 

I realize that teams in the NFL play hard every week, but little differences in intensity can make a huge difference.  To me, this Pats loss ensures that we will get Pittsburgh and New England's best games this week.  And assuming Pitt does clinch vs Baltimore, we become the week 17 beneficiaries of their desire to rest up in week 17.

170471[/snapback]

Guess you didnt read this. Apparently you're a chickensh!t because you want Pitt to rest their players in week 17. How can you even call yourself a Bills fan??

:):lol:

No, the Colts can't catch the Pats for the #2 seed because NE beat Indy head-to-head in the opener.

The San Diego Super Chargers, on the other hand...I'm curious to know what the tiebreakers would favor if SD & NE tie at 13-3.

170591[/snapback]

If the Chargers beat the Colts and the Pats lose to the Jets, the Chargers would have a superior conference record (they only have two AFC losses) and would be #2.

If the Pats beat the Jets but were to lose to SF (they struggle against 2 win teams) and SD won out, the Pats would get the #2 seed based on a better record versus common opponents.

I thought that too but NE owns the head to head tiebreaker with Indy.  If NE, loses and Indy wins they will be tied.  So then it will go to the last week.  The problem is NE plays at 1:00 (against SF) and Indy plays at 4:00.  By the time Indy kicks off, NE will have kicked the crap out of SF.

170602[/snapback]

Bingo - that's the first thing I did was look at the starting times of the week 17 games. I thought the Pats-Jets game was a win-win for us (so that the Colts would play hard @ Denver) but nope - we need the Pats to win next week.

The more I think about it, this Denver-Tennessee game Christmas night is PIVOTAL. If the Titans win, we have a 50/50 shot at least. If not, our chances are slim.

Obviously the Ravens-Steelers game is big too, but I'm not going to worry about that. You have to figure if the Steelers can't win that for us at home then it just wasn't meant to be.

I'll take my chances right now needing either a Jax loss @ Oakland or a Jets loss @ St. Louis on the final weekend, which would be the case if the Pats, Ravens, and Titans win next week.

This also helps our cause in terms of strength of victory which the broadcast talked about tonight. Every win that a team that we beat puts in helps us later. We get a double bonus because Miami counts for two wins in that case.

Pittsburgh now goes into this week's game against Baltimore knowing they can clinch home field with a win.  The players will clearly be up for the game with the knowledge that a win lets them clinch and rest aches and pains in week 17. 

The Pats, meanwhile, are now in danger of losing their first-round bye.  They are still in the driver's seat, but you can bet Belichick will have them ready against the Jets this week. 

I realize that teams in the NFL play hard every week, but little differences in intensity can make a huge difference.  To me, this Pats loss ensures that we will get Pittsburgh and New England's best games this week.  And assuming Pitt does clinch vs Baltimore, we become the week 17 beneficiaries of their desire to rest up in week 17.

170471[/snapback]

Long term, the best thing that can come out of that win is that just maybe Huizenga will cramp up and hire Jim Bates to be his HC. Hey, he stood by one of the great "less with more" coaches in Dave Wannstedt, why not take less now?

Also warms the heart to see Troy Brown get burnt for the game winner. Justice is served.

I think Pittsburgh is going to play their heart out next week.

If you were them, would you want to have to rely on winning against Buffalo in Buffalo?

170671[/snapback]

Pittsburgh's task is not going to be easy, either way. They need one win for home field and they have two incredibly tough defenses to do it against. I think their defense is going to need to make a play or two this week. Big Ben won't be able to do it by himself.

Regarding the Steelers resting their starters in week 17 (if it comes to that point), don't hold your breath. Bill Cowher won't just start the second string offense, so don't be surprised to see everyone there. If he does that, that will give the players 2 full weeks off before a playoff game. IMO, that would leave them as too rusty.

Having said that, I still think this is advantage: Bills. As smart as he is to keep his players sharp, he's just as smart to not play them the entire game so nobody pulls a TO and sprains their ankle. Either way, if they don't play, advantage Bills. If they *do* play, I don't think the players will have the same intensity as if they were playing for home field or for anything else. Advantage Bills.

Thank you, Miami.

Long term, the best thing that can come out of that win is that just maybe Huizenga will cramp up and hire Jim Bates to be his HC.  Hey, he stood by one of the great "less with more" coaches in Dave Wannstedt, why not take less now?

170859[/snapback]

Don't bet on it. Huizenga's man is Nick Saban. Sadly, he probably just brought in Art Shell to meet the NFL requirements. Too bad for Art - he deserves another shot at coaching. I agree with the NFL's policy, but the media frenzy these days makes it obvious that the owners are bringing in the minorities as a formality. It's almost a mockery of the system, really...

Also warms the heart to see Troy Brown get burnt for the game winner.  Justice is served.

170859[/snapback]

It also warms the heart to see that so all of the analysts and experts don't give quite the love fest to Brown and to Belichick for his genuisness and to Brady for his toughness/intelligence.....

Guest Guest_Coach_Tuesday

170471[/snapback]

Dude, are you the guy who dresses like a turtle at the Ralph, then does a turtle dance whenever the Bills score? If so, um, keep up the good work.