Bills Stamina on Defense

I kind of feel it was almost like it was the other way around. Miami was poorly conditioned and they got gassed unusually quickly and Brady saw it and took advantage. And once he took advantage...game over. By comparison, we looked exceptionally well conditioned for our game on Sunday and the announcers made several mentions of it.

I agreed with you last week. But I changed my mind. It IS a strategy of the pats.

So my question again,

Can we last or will they out gas our defense

Its a heavy emphasis on an existing rule that prevents the offense from making a quick fire wagon substitution and not letting the D catch up on their subs. Its already a rule that exists they are just trying to enforce it better. And I would have to take a look at the situations but if a team runs a no huddle they don't have to give you time to change your personnel that's not flag worthy. Its only when you make a change on the offensive side of the ball that you have to allow the D time to sub.

So if Brady just simply ran a no huddle/hurry up and didn't let the Fins change a package its OK the Fins should have been prepared the first time out. BUT if the Pats* were running fire wagon changes and not allowing the Fins to match then yeah there should have been a flag.

If the offense subs players they have to give the defense the chance to do the same. New England wasn't changing players so no need to allow the Fins the chance to sub.

SSDD

Got it now, thanks! :thumbsup:

Get at Marcia and he folds like a napkin. Everyone knows that.

But did you see what they did to the dolphins? Dolphins were gassed. Marcia did a hell of a job wearing them out. (Probably the first time i ever give marcia and her dad belly cheat any credit)

Which brings the question:

Our d is new, young, and so far, pretty awesome. But can we hang in there? Do they have the stamina or will they let Marcia tap dance back there?

That is really on the Miami Offense.

The sequence went something like this:

Miami scores (7 minutes)

New England scores (3 minutes)

Miami 3 and out (2 minutes)

New England scores (4 minutes)

Now at this point, Miami's D has gotten a 2 minute breather in between being driven the length of the field twice.

Miami 1 first down, then punt (about 4 minutes)

I'm not sure what came first at this point - did Miami look a little gassed?

Were their substitutions working a bit too well for Brady?

But in any event, there were two successive short offensive possessions for Miami.

New England 3 first down, then punt - COMMENCE NO HUDDLE. (about 4 minutes)

Miami 3 and out (1 minute)

New England 1 first down, then punt (about 1 minute)

Miami 1 first down, then 3 and out (about 3 minutes)

New England 4 1st downs, missed FG :continue No Huddle but not every play (<2 minutes)

Now up to this point, it was really looking like Miami had a shot. They had scored. The score was only 14 NE - 7 MIA

They had managed to hold NE twice and keep them to a long FG attempt a third time.

They had sacked Brady! YEAH!

Then at the start of the 3rd quarter .....NE got the ball, and they INTERCEPTED BRADY! Double YEAH!

But...MIA was not been able to hang on to the football on offense.

The next two Mia offensive series were 1 first down, punt and 3-and-out.

And Belichek had a hint of something that might work. Maybe lack of substitutions gave him some mismatch. Maybe the Mia players were looking gassed.

As he always does, he went for the throat.

Even so, MIA was hanging with the Pats thru the 3rd quarter - they INTERCEPTED BRADY (Yeah!) and scored in under a minute.

They let the Pats score, but on their next possession they had a nice drive - and then COULDNT PUNCH IT IN WITH GOAL TO GO FROM THE 1 YD LINE! :censored:

After that it was up. NE scored twice punctuated by a MIA 3 and out. MIA D was visibly deflated, and NE wore them down rapidly (and ran up the score, and Brady's yardage).

The score (and Brady's stats) really only got out of control in "garbage time", after that 1st and goal where MIA settled for a field goal.

Not trying to take away from the Pats, but far from the tongue-bath they've been getting, I saw this as a winnable game for MIA and they let it go

Just as it was a winnable game for San Diego and they threw it away.

Bottom line:

Again, like San Diego, when I watched the NE game I did not see this unstoppable NE juggernaut. I saw a MIA team that defeated itself.

3rd down efficiency: 14%

Red zone efficiency: 50%

Goal to go efficiency: 60%

You don't win games against ANYONE with 14% 3rd down efficiency. The only question is: was MIA that hapless, or should NE D get credit for being tough when it counts?

A little of both, I think.

Hopeful's bottom line: Don't worry about the NE no-huddle.

Worry about our offense. We HAVE to keep the ball and sustain drives. When we get opportunities to score, we have to score seven.

If they no-huddle us down the field, we HAVE to sustain the next drive to give our D time to rest.

We have to convert 3rd downs, and practice good ball security.

GO BILLS!

That is really on the Miami Offense…

After that it was up. NE scored twice punctuated by a MIA 3 and out. MIA D was visibly deflated, and NE wore them down rapidly (and ran up the score, and Brady's yardage).

The score (and Brady's stats) really only got out of control in "garbage time", after that 1st and goal where MIA settled for a field goal.

Not trying to take away from the Pats, but far from the tongue-bath they've been getting, I saw this as a winnable game for MIA and they let it go

Just as it was a winnable game for San Diego and they threw it away.

Bottom line:

Again, like San Diego, when I watched the NE game I did not see this unstoppable NE juggernaut. I saw a MIA team that defeated itself.

3rd down efficiency: 14%

Red zone efficiency: 50%

Goal to go efficiency: 60%

You don't win games against ANYONE with 14% 3rd down efficiency.

Wow. Amazing post, Hopeful.

Yep sustain drives (eat clock and keep our defense fresh) and as JR in Ann Arbor posted, gotta score TDs.

Doing these two things is obviously also stating that we have to avoid turnovers.

Wow. Amazing post, Hopeful.

Yep sustain drives (eat clock and keep our defense fresh) and as JR in Ann Arbor posted, gotta score TDs.

Doing these two things is obviously also stating that we have to avoid turnovers.

Thanks SJBF! Really appreciate the kind words from a thoughtful poster!

I'm not trying to take away from Brady. He's had two amazing games. Looking carefully under the hood, though, without killer mistakes from MIA and SD I'm not sure they were enough.

(Cam Newton has had 2 amazing games too. Nuff said.)

Is the NE defense better than they're getting credit for, or was it incompetence on the MIA and SD offense? Guess we'll find out for ourselves in.... one hour 14 minutes.