Should the Bills management care less about character?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i still have no idea where you come out on this. in paragraph 1, you seem to agree with me that character on the field is all that matters. thanks for that. in paragraph 2 you define character in terms of the player's personal life. in paragraph 3 you say "we" ("we" being fans beside me, apparently) won't excuse the personal transgressions of players. Then in your last paragraph you reiterate that most everyone disagrees with me and their money is better than mine for some reason.

it's fine with me if certain fans (which may or may not include you -- i'm not sure) want to have a moral litmus test for players. i just hope our front office doesn't.

as for pr stunts, we bills fans don't seem immune. this team has somehow maintained fairly solid attendance numbers despite a decade of atrocious play with dismal results. seems like brandon pulled off the biggest pr coup of all.

As simple as I can say it: Whether character on the field is all that matters, or not, is...irrelevant. Fans will judge players based on things they can know, and things they cannot know, just the same. So, you identifying it as "what matters" is also irrelevant. Because even though you are mostly right, it doesn't matter. However, every fan is not the same, or in the same circumstances...

There are posters here...like me...who tend to run into players all the time, especially in places like Chippewa, etc. I also, run into them in the strangest places/circumstances(my favorite since moving to Buffalo? Running into Andrew Peters in a 4x5' ATM booth full of crazy/drunk people :lol: I asked him what he thought about Kaleta :lol:).

So, some of us have personal experience with players, and of course the amount depends on the player. I know what I am about regarding assessing character, quickly. It's part of my job. So, if I see a guy that clearly has a character problem, and it's bad enough to warrant a post...it's pretty bad. Otherwise, I wouldn't appreciate people posting everything I do at a bar, so I live by the same standard. It has to be funny, or important, to merit a post.

Bottom line: Bills fans will judge player's character, regardless of whether or nor they personally see Marshawn Lynch serving as a DD for the night. They will, because they can. They are the customer.

Regarding PR...the reason people give JP schit about "cleaning up the city" half because it was phony, and half because he sucked. As I said: I am close sometimes. Sometimes I'm standing 5 feet away. If I tell you something is phony, that's because I was probably crushing my Sapphire and Tonic when it happened, and proceeded to GTFO of the "event".