Ryan Fitzpatrick & Rich Gannon

Quarterback has always been a position where you are compared to others who play or played the position. After listening to Rich Gannon defend Tim Tebow recently it made me remember him for the player he was. Gannon was a smart QB with good instincts and was also a capable runner.

Gannon's career got off to a slow start and he really didn't come into his own until 1999 when at the age of 33/34 he met up with a so called offensive "genius" in Jon Gruden. From that point forward Gannon's career took a dramatic turn for the better seeing him named to 4 Pro Bowls, 2 NFL All-Pro's and even being named a Co-MVP. Gannon came one "Tuck Rule" away from possibly his first Super Bowl win in 2001 and teamed with veterans Jerry Rice & Tim Brown to make it to Super Bowl 37 where he pulled his best Jim Kelly tossing 2 tds & 5 int's, the final 2 int's were back breaking picks returned for 6.

Now I am not saying Fitzpatrick's career will follow Gannon's path, but the similarities and circumstances are very similar with a Gailey as his mentor. The Bills have enough weapons for Fitz to spread opposing defenses, and if a tight end rises to the challenge will be even more efficient in short yardage and red zone offense.

Here is a look at Gannon's first 7 seaons:

56 games, 39 starts. 635 completions 1128 attempts 56.3% completion percentage 43 tds and 43 ints. 165 rushes 808 yards 4 tds.

Fitpatrick

43 games, 36 starts. 679 completions 1175 attempts 57.8% completion percentage 44 tds and 42 ints. 148 rushes 778 yards 5 tds.

Hopefully Fitz turns the corner in 2011 and takes the next step forward.

Interesting stats OP. I do see cause for hope, but I believe we need to get better at run blocking. Fitzy is not a QB you want throwing 35-40 times a game. With that being said, I do think we the new toys that Chan went out and acquired that our O will have a better season.

Quarterback has always been a position where you are compared to others who play or played the position. After listening to Rich Gannon defend Tim Tebow recently it made me remember him for the player he was. Gannon was a smart QB with good instincts and was also a capable runner.

Gannon's career got off to a slow start and he really didn't come into his own until 1999 when at the age of 33/34 he met up with a so called offensive "genius" in Jon Gruden. From that point forward Gannon's career took a dramatic turn for the better seeing him named to 4 Pro Bowls, 2 NFL All-Pro's and even being named a Co-MVP. Gannon came one "Tuck Rule" away from possibly his first Super Bowl win in 2001 and teamed with veterans Jerry Rice & Tim Brown to make it to Super Bowl 37 where he pulled his best Jim Kelly tossing 2 tds & 5 int's, the final 2 int's were back breaking picks returned for 6.

Now I am not saying Fitzpatrick's career will follow Gannon's path, but the similarities and circumstances are very similar with a Gailey as his mentor. The Bills have enough weapons for Fitz to spread opposing defenses, and if a tight end rises to the challenge will be even more efficient in short yardage and red zone offense.

Here is a look at Gannon's first 7 seaons:

56 games, 39 starts. 635 completions 1128 attempts 56.3% completion percentage 43 tds and 43 ints. 165 rushes 808 yards 4 tds.

Fitpatrick

43 games, 36 starts. 679 completions 1175 attempts 57.8% completion percentage 44 tds and 42 ints. 148 rushes 778 yards 5 tds.

Hopefully Fitz turns the corner in 2011 and takes the next step forward.

I was thinking Jim Plunkett, 2 superbowl wins baby!!!