Coach bans players from using Twitter

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/33080/steve-alford-bans-players-from-tweeting

New Mexico coach Steve Alford recently sent a handwritten fax to the Albuquerque Journal to inform the paper that one of his particularly Twitter-happy incoming freshmen would not be allowed an account upon enrolling.

The same apparently applies to the rest of the team after Alford instituted a Twitter ban for players (Facebook is fine) that will prevent force incoming freshmen like Jarion Henry to delete his account when he arrives on campus and even Alford's own son to stop tweeting, according to the paper.

It's one way to stop the maddness, but Im not sure it's how you fix the problem.

I think a better way would be to put together a slide show of college/professional athletes making an ass of themselves on twitter, and then you educate the players on how to use it and how to NOT use it...

Publicists and agents would have a big problem with this at the NFL level.

If I were a publicist, I would want the bad tweets from my client, then they would need me.

Mayyybe, but both publicists and agents were doing just fine before Twitter.

If anything, this just makes their job easier. Especially for the Agent since they have to deal with the fallout every time a player goes off.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/33080/steve-alford-bans-players-from-tweeting

It's one way to stop the maddness, but Im not sure it's how you fix the problem.

I think a better way would be to put together a slide show of college/professional athletes making an ass of themselves on twitter, and then you educate the players on how to use it and how to NOT use it...

It is a terrible idea- does he ban them from speaking when out in public too?