African Americans are not free in America

http://newsone.com/newsone-original/boycewatkins/no-independence-day-for-black-people/

1) Large corporations like Viacom and Time Warner control major black media outlets like BET and Essence, giving them the right to shape our collective point of view. We depend on these companies to tell us what to think.

You mean media outlets are owned by corporations? That's crazy!

2) Most African Americans are controlled by corporate jobs that mute their ability to speak out or stand up on issues of social justice. We depend on companies owned by others in order to feed our children.

How vague can you get? An example would be nice. I realy have no idea whats he's getting at with this.

3) Black children’s minds are obliterated at an early age by media giants who mass market hip-hop music that sells black boys a recipe for self-destruction by the time they reach kindergarten. Capitalist and shareholder-created monstrosities like Lil Wayne teach them how to kill themselves and each other by the time they become teenagers.

If Pre-K kids are listening to Lil Wayne that's the parents fault. And Lil Wayne is on a record label founded and run by two black guys!

4) Our children have their futures thrown into the trash by school systems that put even the most brilliant black boys in special education at a rate that is five times greater than white kids.

Source please.

[5) The NCAA still earns over a billion dollars per year on the backs of black families, leaving many single black mothers in poverty. In fact, athlete compensation has been criminalized, while mostly white coaches and administrators sign multi-million dollar contracts without playing in any of these sporting events.

It's not like a college degree could help alleviate that poverty....

6) Black unemployment is nearly double that of white Americans, with no politician in Washington expressing any interest in alleviating the suffering with targeted policy. We depend on politicians and a Democratic Party that fills our minds empty rhetoric, while not respecting us enough to deliver on campaign promises.

I must be imagining that blacks are over-represented in the federal workforce for their percentage of the population.

Though I agree with some of his points (the Emancipation Proclamation and end of the Civil War did not free anyone; the black community is a highly dependent community)...

We depend on these companies to tell us what to think.

:rolleyes: Give me a !@#$ing break. Maybe dropping the "It's everyone else's fault" act would help, ya think?

Though I agree with some of his points (the Emancipation Proclamation and end of the Civil War did not free anyone; the black community is a highly dependent community)...

:rolleyes: Give me a !@#$ing break. Maybe dropping the "It's everyone else's fault" act would help, ya think?

Not watching over 7 hours of television per day might also help limit the impact of eeeeevil corporations.