Stevie Johnson interview…

As most of you guys know, Pro Football Focus is one of the sites that has sprung up in recent years which does quite a bit of work with sabremetrics… the analysis of sports through the breakdown of empirical data. This work has also been carried out by sites such as Football Outsiders and Cold, Hard, Football Facts.

Anyways, PFF also does other things like interviews. Here's their interview with Stevie and it's VERY comprehensive… they cover a lot of territory:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/07/01/interview-with-stevie-johnson-wr-buffalo-bills/

SW: How is it playing out there in Buffalo? Like you mentioned, the team hasn’t been to the playoffs in double digit seasons.

SJ: The fans are still down for you. It’s easy to suit up every week even though you haven’t been to the playoffs in a while. It’s like if the fans still care and they still come to see the team, you can’t give up on them. They’re sitting out in the cold, cheering for [us despite] coming in at 4-12. It’s easy to play for fans like that. At the same time, I’d rather build a dynasty than to join one. I said it before on the Twitter handle and I go by it. That’s why I went to the University of Kentucky. It was a team that was down and we end up turning it around. Hopefully we can do the same thing in Buffalo. I’ve got a lot of faith in our guys and I feel like we can turn this thing around.

Gotta love his enthusiasm.

I've seen thousands of player interviews and am at an age where I'm pretty jaded so I think the question/answer ritual is a lot more mechanistic and automated than younger people might think. A lot of it is just "white noise."

That said, I sense Stevie's heart is in the right place and that he has good team values. I also think he has the desire to be great.

Gotta love his enthusiasm.

I've seen thousands of player interviews and am at an age where I'm pretty jaded so I think the question/answer ritual is a lot more mechanistic and automated than younger people might think. A lot of it is just "white noise."

That said, I sense Stevie's heart is in the right place and that he has good team values. I also think he has the desire to be great.

To me everything that Stevie has been saying and tweeting was proven true when the new uniforms were unveiled. What other player would buy a ticket to get into the stadium to celebrate a new uniform other than a player that loves his team and the city he plays in? Of course, wouldn 't it have made an incredible statement if half the team had showed up ....

Stevie is generating a buzz for the Bills ... his TWEETS show that he is a quality young man especially when he talks about his wife and family.

He sounds like a real stand up guy. Most NFL players would have

run and hid after dropping a pass like he did against Pittsburgh.

Good point. In five years from now, after Dareus dominates in the AFC Championship game, the irony of the drop will be felt by everyone. Stevie is an exciting young player w/ upside that says and does all the right things. When was the last time you said that about a Bills player.

Some of the passes he caught this year were works of art.

I'd be pleased to wear #13.

David Nelson and Donald Jones will both have more than 6 TD's this season, in part because of the attention paid to Stevie.

At the same time, I’d rather build a dynasty than to join one. I said it before on the Twitter handle and I go by it. That’s why I went to the University of Kentucky. It was a team that was down and we end up turning it around. Hopefully we can do the same thing in Buffalo. I’ve got a lot of faith in our guys and I feel like we can turn this thing around.

Pay attention, LeBron.