OT: Did ya really think this wasnt gonna happen??

Hawk

I did a paper from my college psychology course based off of the benefits of medical marijuana.

One of the biggest problems in this country is the lack of funding by the federal Gov to verify its benefits.

Other countries have run a multitude of tests, and from all most every document the benefits were positive, and those with ailments praise the benefits they receive from MJ over any prescription drug.

The big issue is the fact that big drug companies cannot patent MJ, or keep people from producing their own medicine. Which is sad, I really do not feel any human should be forced down a road just for the benefit of capitalism.

On the other hand, I don't feel MJ should be illegal for recreational reasons either. Way to much time, money and efforts are going into the criminalization of MJ and users. All those resources would be much better used in the war against narcotic substances that have physically addicting properties. Get rid of Cocaine, Heroine, Meth and illegal prescrition drugs and most of the problems we associate with drug addicts will dissappear.

One of the biggest problems in this country is the lack of funding by the federal Gov to verify its benefits.

Um, not only is there no gov't funding for this, but, even worse, private companies AREN'T ALLOWED to run tests of their own. This country's marijuana policies and laws are some of the stupidest, most unjust laws ever put on the books by any country. Really, the thought of it makes me want to, uh, ... (*cough*) what was I saying?

(really though the laws suck.)

The United States government will never allow the legalization of marijuana because as was mentioned before, even if they come up with a way to tax it and get their hands in the cookie jar they would not be able to prevent someone from growing their own and not paying the government for the use of it. If they don't feel they can get a piece of the pie from everyone it will stay ilegal.

The United States government will never allow the legalization of marijuana because as was mentioned before, even if they come up with a way to tax it and get their hands in the cookie jar they would not be able to prevent someone from growing their own and not paying the government for the use of it.  If they don't feel they can get a piece of the pie from everyone it will stay ilegal.

165437[/snapback]

Um, they tax food and people still grow their own vegetables and livestock...

The two most widely abused drugs in the US which cause the most health problems are alcohol and tobacco. You legalize marijuana then you will have more problems than you can imagine.

Medical marijuana is a different story--I have no problem with people taking it but there are just as many drugs--cheap drugs that are as good if not better than marijuana for its purported benefits. And it does help with nausea, glaucoma and have limited analgesic properties. But it has many side effects---awful for cardiac and pulmonary systems. Vioxx and Celebrex just ran into many problems for same. But I don't care if someone with terminal cancer wants to smoke marijuana to control their nausea. Let's be honest though--there are many drugs that control nausea as well if not better including marinol--a tab with marijuana's active chemical.

It's clear that even the "Red Staters" are OK with medical marijuana. It's a shame that the Bush administration seems so dead-set against it. Hopefully the Supreme Court does not hold the same views and will abide by what is obviously the will of the majority in this matter.