Phil Ivey not playing in the WSOP and suing FTP

Interesting. I appreciate Phil's stance, saying he's sort of taking one for the team here, but it's sort of like boycotting sex because you have a lawsuit against Trojan. I don't know that boycotting the WSOP main event will get peoples' money back any faster, so either Phil is being a bit of a naive martyr or he's got an ulterior motive(?)

Interesting..I have money at FTP, just assumed it was gone..and yep just checked site still saying can't pay me my funds. Lordy, cracks me up i can load my account at twinspires.com on a credit card and play the horses all day long, but not poker.

I am not a lottery player, but will bet dollars to doughnuts I can play the lottry online to my hearts content :wallbash::censored:

Interesting..I have money at FTP, just assumed it was gone..and yep just checked site still saying can't pay me my funds. Lordy, cracks me up i can load my account at twinspires.com on a credit card and play the horses all day long, but not poker.

I am not a lottery player, but will bet dollars to doughnuts I can play the lottry online to my hearts content :wallbash::censored:

Basically the horse racing industry is bigger and more powerful than poker industry...

I think his ulterior motive is not being harassed by everyone at the WSOP. There was already an incident with John Juanda.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that was part of it. It's not just the fan harassment, it's that the tournament has become so big it's virtually unwinnable for guys like Ivey. Every dork who won a satellite tourney wants to go home with an 'I went all-in on Phil Ivey' story and sooner or later someone is going to catch a card to beat him. So he figures he's unlikely to win any serious cash so why not take the opportunity to make a very public break from his shady sponsor. It's a smart move.

Basically the horse racing industry is bigger and more powerful than poker industry...

Yup. Horseracing is MUCH more entrenched with the old guard set (i.e., old, rich guys who have friends in Congress).

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that was part of it. It's not just the fan harassment, it's that the tournament has become so big it's virtually unwinnable for guys like Ivey. Every dork who won a satellite tourney wants to go home with an 'I went all-in on Phil Ivey' story and sooner or later someone is going to catch a card to beat him. So he figures he's unlikely to win any serious cash so why not take the opportunity to make a very public break from his shady sponsor. It's a smart move.

Yup. Horseracing is MUCH more entrenched with the old guard set (i.e., old, rich guys who have friends in Congress).

True but he's rumored to have $5 million bet that he will win a bracelet, plus he's done very well in the main event and this means he's skipping 56 other events as well. I just wish stupid congress would figure this out (please don't move to PPP)

i don't think it is bigger anymore(pre crackdown starting with Net-teller), but problem is no tax dollars coming out of the pie. The moral hypocrisy of these governments really gall me. Gambling is immoral and a threat to society, that is unless the state is benefiting. Then its all in good fun.

I will guarantee one thing..more people missing meals and rent payments due to the lottery than playing poker online..of that I am 100% certain.

• 4 weeks later...

So looks like FTP totally shut down...now I really know my money is gone. Thanks so much for protecting me DOJ. :censored::censored:

http://www.onlinepok...ilt-poker/11224

Don't worry, when the DOJ settles its lawsuit in exchange for a lighter jail sentence for the FTP founders, the government and a whole bunch of lawyers will make millions!

Be sure to vote for the incumbants next election! Go Government!! :thumbsup:

Supposedly they have a buyer coming in that will help bail out US players but I wouldn't hold your breath....

Me neither. I can't see anyone investing a ton money to settle debts in a market that they can no longer operate the business in.

Me neither. I can't see anyone investing a ton money to settle debts in a market that they can no longer operate the business in.

The federal govt should buy it out...then just re-name it Obama Stars or something like that and let us play some damn poker! :w00t:

And every winning hand would be immediately taxed at 40%.

And you couldn't register until you had health insurance