Rookies @ Workouts

I have mixed feelings about the rookies participating in these player workouts. I think it's great, as the vets will be able to give them an idea of what the coaching staff expects and I'm sure it will be a boost in teamwork and camaraderie. I have to wonder though, if these players get injured doing these workouts, what will the Bills stance be? The organization has already cut out pension payments, I have to believe they don't intend to foot the bill for injuries.

I have mixed feelings about the rookies participating in these player workouts. I think it's great, as the vets will be able to give them an idea of what the coaching staff expects and I'm sure it will be a boost in teamwork and camaraderie. I have to wonder though, if these players get injured doing these workouts, what will the Bills stance be? The organization has already cut out pension payments, I have to believe they don't intend to foot the bill for injuries.

So, are you saying that our draft picks should sit home and eat cake?

I think it's great that the rookies are joining with our veteran players while this stupid lock-out continues? They are getting a chance to meet future teammates (introducing themselves to be sure that the vets know which Marvel comic nickname the rooks will be using this year), to get a limited grasp on the playbook, gain a feel of the NFL, and gain some minimal on-field interaction with their future teammates.

The vets are being extremely careful to avoid injuries since injuries would impact them as well as the rookies. But, I would hope that every player in the NFL is working out to get ready for this coming season and with that comes the risk of injury.

What I am interested in learning are the names of the players not willing to be part of this 'team' work out and what their excuse is.

No, not saying turn into piles of lard. I don't believe I even came close to insinuating that. I am kind of surprised they aren't working out with trainers, their former schools, and that the agents want them doing this before they have their cut of the big payday. It doesn't matter how careful the veterans are, accidents happen, muscles tear, achille's rupture, strains, whatever.

Whats the difference if they work out with their trainers vs the team. At least with the team, they get to know their future teammates. Whether they get hurt with their trainer or the team, they're still hurt. I think there is some caution in their regiment, but I don't see the problem. If i'm missing something, please educate me.

POW!!!!

Whats the difference if they work out with their trainers vs the team. At least with the team, they get to know their future teammates. Whether they get hurt with their trainer or the team, they're still hurt. I think there is some caution in their regiment, but I don't see the problem. If i'm missing something, please educate me. POW!!!!
They have to get there, they have to eat while they are here and they have to have some place to sleep while they are here. That all costs $. Most will probably get an advance from their agents but I don't know that for certain. And for those that do, they will have to pay them back once this ridiculous lockout is over, if ever. Normally, if this were a typical OTA, the team would pick up all of those expenses. I don't know what these guys do with their own trainers as compared to what they are doing with fellow players but I have to believe that the chance for injury is greater in a group setting during workouts that haven't been planned, and are not being supervised, by professional trainers.The players who are willing to incur these costs and take these risks so that they can minimize the effect of the owner imposed lockout on their on-field performance should be appreciated for the professionals they are showing themselves to be.
So, are you saying that our draft picks should sit home and eat cake?I think it's great that the rookies are joining with our veteran players while this stupid lock-out continues? They are getting a chance to meet future teammates (introducing themselves to be sure that the vets know which Marvel comic nickname the rooks will be using this year), to get a limited grasp on the playbook, gain a feel of the NFL, and gain some minimal on-field interaction with their future teammates.The vets are being extremely careful to avoid injuries since injuries would impact them as well as the rookies. But, I would hope that every player in the NFL is working out to get ready for this coming season and with that comes the risk of injury. What I am interested in learning are the names of the players not willing to be part of this 'team' work out and what their excuse is.
Oh, I dunno. I guess you're right. There is no choice between traveling to Buffalo, getting a hotel and working out without pay or insurance and sitting on the couch at home eating cake.

I see it now, its either come to Buffalo or be a couch potato.

If only there were some sort of happy medium, if only they could stay home and work out with their respective trainers as they have been since their last practice in college. If only... *sigh*.

Edited by Mickey

They have to get there, they have to eat while they are here and they have to have some place to sleep while they are here. That all costs $. Most will probably get an advance from their agents but I don't know that for certain. And for those that do, they will have to pay them back once this ridiculous lockout is over, if ever. Normally, if this were a typical OTA, the team would pick up all of those expenses. I don't know what these guys do with their own trainers as compared to what they are doing with fellow players but I have to believe that the chance for injury is greater in a group setting during workouts that haven't been planned, and are not being supervised, by professional trainers.

The players who are willing to incur these costs and take these risks so that they can minimize the effect of the owner imposed lockout on their on-field performance should be appreciated for the professionals they are showing themselves to be.

I agree completely. Like I said, I appreciate that they are trying and don't want their career to suffer because of this lockout. It's commendable.

Everyone agrees (us & the veteran players) that it's great that the rookies are here, but George Wilson (wisely & thoughtfully) will not let them participate in all the workouts - like agility drills for fear of injury. It would eat into any bonus they could get and could be a cause for getting cut. The cost of injuries are the responsibility of the players/rookies. They DO need to be careful.

Damn lockout!!

Everyone agrees (us & the veteran players) that it's great that the rookies are here, but George Wilson (wisely & thoughtfully) will not let them participate in all the workouts - like agility drills for fear of injury. It would eat into any bonus they could get and could be a cause for getting cut. The cost of injuries are the responsibility of the players/rookies. They DO need to be careful.

Damn lockout!!

As you touched upon, the Bills union player rep, George Wilson prohibited the rookies from participating. To paraphrase Wilson, he said that the benefit to the rookies is in meeting the vets and letting everyone put a face to a name. It's possible they'll build some chemistry and relationships during meals and just hanging.

I'm glad draftees Sheppard and Searcy decided to come up in spite of not being allowed to workout with the team. On the other hand, I do not hold it against those rookie draftees who chose not to show up. Between what Wilson told them beforehand and what their agents undoubtedly told them, there is only some symbolic benefit to them attending. Hopefully they can pick some stuff up from the vets through osmosis but after thinking about this for a couple of days, I think the rookie draftee attendance is a non-issue.