Kyle Williams rated 3rd best player overall in 2010

I think everyone sees talent but it was, and still is fair to wonder about his role as a NT in a 34. It'll be a challenge for the coaching staff to find the best way to utilize the talent on the field. With KW, dareus, and merriman there could be enough elite talent to make noise if used right.

+1. KW is a beast, the problem is the Bills having him playing a position that he is not built for. Yeah the guy can penetrate, has a motor, and can make plays. But what he REALLY struggled with is holding up at the point of attack. When teams run at him he just isn't big enough to stop the O-lines push. We got creamed on short yardage and basically ANY run straight up the middle.

KW is a great 4-3 DT, and I think would be more useful to the Bills as a DE, or situational (pass rush) NT when in the 3-4. On running downs in the 3-4 he is a liability. I like KW as a player, but we still need a real (big) NT.

Oh, and saying he is the 3rd best player overall is a little ridiculous...

Edit - I just read through more of that "ranking", other than Rodgers did he just pull names out of a hat? Manning (who single handedly kept that team afloat), right next to Champ Bailey (worst defense in the league)and behind Matt Ryan (much better supporting staff)? no Mike Vick? KW better than DeMarcus Ware...and where is Arian Foster?!?! What a joke

Edited by Turbosrrgood

If we run a 34 defense, I'm hoping its Williams Troup Dareus.

Sounds good on paper (or in a forum), I just wonder if Troup really has what it takes. He has the size but didn't make any impact last year. If he can, that would be one big powerful line, that should be good against the run and the pass...

Imagine that by some miracle Jasper ends up being good...a 375 NT in between Dareus and Williams...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

C'mon. I like Kyle but 3rd best overall player in 2010?

Really?

Read this: "Key Stat: Only 17 defenders (all linebackers) had more defensive stops than Kyle Williams."

and recognize the lack of talent around him - the guy is very good - I can't wait to see what he is capable of with a player like Dareus next to him.

Read this: "Key Stat: Only 17 defenders (all linebackers) had more defensive stops than Kyle Williams."

and recognize the lack of talent around him - the guy is very good - I can't wait to see what he is capable of with a player like Dareus next to him.

Yeah, keep in mind...The Bills had the worst run defense...by far. Again, I think Kyle Williams is great...just not as a NT. He was making many of those tackles after being pushed off the line, and because there was NO one else that actually could make a tackle.

Kyle is good, maybe if he was playing 4-3 DT I could by into him being rated in the top 10. But you are saying Kyle Williams plays NT better than Vick plays QB? Or better than Arian Foster, CJ2K, or Adrian Peterson plays RB? Better than Clay Mathews plays LB? Better than Revis plays CB? Better than Gates plays TE?

It's just not realistic

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Yeah, keep in mind...The Bills had the worst run defense...by far. Again, I think Kyle Williams is great...just not as a NT. He was making many of those tackles after being pushed off the line, and because there was NO one else that actually could make a tackle.

Kyle is good, maybe if he was playing 4-3 DT I could by into him being rated in the top 10. But you are saying Kyle Williams plays NT better than Vick plays QB? Or better than Arian Foster, CJ2K, or Adrian Peterson plays RB? Better than Clay Mathews plays LB? Better than Revis plays CB? Better than Gates plays TE?

It's just not realistic

I disagree (generally - I will point to where I am in agreement)

The knock on Williams as a NT is that he is undersized by comparison to the standard. The guy makes up for this through leverage, quicknoess and anticipation.

Where I do agree with you is that Williams partially owns the putrid statistics that the Bills have relative to stopping the run. It is wrong to tag him with full responsibility as the six other guys playing around him in the box must also factor in. I would argue those other six guys were not very good and not ready to play the 3-4. The Bills are putting more pieces in place to address this situation.

Without a doubt LB'ing was the weakness of the entire team last year. The D-line outside of Williams was a close second. Kelsay as a LB'er really? Poz is an average player.

I disagree (generally - I will point to where I am in agreement)

The knock on Williams as a NT is that he is undersized by comparison to the standard. The guy makes up for this through leverage, quicknoess and anticipation.

Where I do agree with you is that Williams partially owns the putrid statistics that the Bills have relative to stopping the run. It is wrong to tag him with full responsibility as the six other guys playing around him in the box must also factor in. I would argue those other six guys were not very good and not ready to play the 3-4. The Bills are putting more pieces in place to address this situation.

Without a doubt LB'ing was the weakness of the entire team last year. The D-line outside of Williams was a close second. Kelsay as a LB'er really? Poz is an average player.

Yeah, I am not saying KW is an awful NT by any means. Just not the "3rd best overall player in the NFL in 2010" at that position. I've liked KW ever since the Bills drafted him, I'd just like to see the Bills use him at end or 4-3 DT, or cycle him in at NT, where he can use his natural skills and athleticism. I don't like seeing the Bill's try to use him as an "anchor", when thats just not what he does. The problem is...the Bills don't have anyone even close to good enough to replace him (with Dareus at end).

Link: http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/06/the-top-101-players-of-2010-the-top-20/

Much deserved - Kyle is by far our best player. I said it a number of times on the board before the season started and got crucified. I'm glad there are writers like this one who actually watch the games.

Khaled Elsayed has declared Kyle Williams as one of the league's best players. It must be true because I read it on the internet!

Who is Khaled Elsayed and who cares what his opinion is? My point exactly.