Further analysis on Team Sacks

bartshan-83

First of all, it goes without saying how impressive this is. It seemed like just yesterday that we couldn't sack the quarterback if we gave our defense guns and blindfolded the opposition's o-line. Having said that, I find that the most interesting part of this statistic is the way it has been accomplished.

38 SACKS

-by 15 different players

-3 LBs (6.5)

-3 DEs (13.5)

-3 DTs (8.5)

-6 DBs (9.5)

-No one with more than 7 (Schobel)

-Only 4 with 4+

Now Indy (#2) has 41 sacks with 23.5 of those coming from 2 players. The Eagles (#1) is almost a carbon copy of our type of production.

I tend to think that I prefer our method because I believe it a testament more to the system than the players. We have been getting sacks from backups (Wire & Greer) and even among our gamers, the distribution is more spread out. I think that if 2 players made up for over 50% of our sacks, I would feel very uncomfortable losing one of them. I feel that in our defense, it is more possible to plug players in and get good results. It puts the emphasis more on the team rather than the individual.

Thoughts?

It would be nice to be getting many of these sacks from plain old dominating DL play.

Most of these sacks are the poduct of blitz schemes. This is great, and I'm all for it, but I would still love to have that one player on the DL capable of getting to the QB regularly from 4 man rush.

Earlier in the year when we were losing I dissed Jerry Gray and his defense for not getting enough sacks and forcing turnovers. I listened to a lot of people tell me how we were third in the league and that the turnovers didn't really matter so much as well as sacks. Look at the last 4 games. What have we done in those games? Forced TO's and gotten sacks. Our offense looks a lot better when we do this.

We do these two things and we are dominant.

This is a great breakdown. I subscribe to the theory that the collective effort to get to the quarterback is better than relying on one or two people. If you have one dominant rusher, what do teams do? Double team him. Who in the name of God do you double team on our line without causing problems for yourself somewhere else on the line?

Of course, I also think a lot of this is simply that we're developing the kind of defense we used to envy from the Pats. You never knew who was coming from where. We're not only doing that in some schemes, but we're actually better at it than 29 other teams.

Very pleased with our defense.

First of all, it goes without saying how impressive this is. It seemed like just yesterday that we couldn't sack the quarterback if we gave our defense guns and blindfolded the opposition's o-line. Having said that, I find that the most interesting part of this statistic is the way it has been accomplished.

38 SACKS

-by 15 different players

-3 LBs (6.5)

-3 DEs (13.5)

-3 DTs (8.5)

-6 DBs (9.5)

-No one with more than 7 (Schobel)

-Only 4 with 4+

Now Indy (#2) has 41 sacks with 23.5 of those coming from 2 players. The Eagles (#1) is almost a carbon copy of our type of production.

I tend to think that I prefer our method because I believe it a testament more to the system than the players. We have been getting sacks from backups (Wire & Greer) and even among our gamers, the distribution is more spread out. I think that if 2 players made up for over 50% of our sacks, I would feel very uncomfortable losing one of them. I feel that in our defense, it is more possible to plug players in and get good results. It puts the emphasis more on the team rather than the individual.

Thoughts?

163502[/snapback]

Indy's stats aren't all that impressive when you consider that they have so many opportunities to tee off (big leads so often).

Our numbers are inflated a bit because we played the Browns and Dolphins recently. I'm pretty concerned about our inability to put pressure on the passer without sending extra rushers. That's a recipe for disaster against teams like the Pats and Colts.

Indy's stats aren't all that impressive when you consider that they have so many opportunities to tee off (big leads so often).

Our numbers are inflated a bit because we played the Browns and Dolphins recently.  I'm pretty concerned about our inability to put pressure on the passer without sending extra rushers.  That's a recipe for disaster against teams like the Pats and Colts.

163526[/snapback]

You make a good point. If memory serves me, we tried blitzing NE in the last game, and it didn't work so well. Say what you will about Brady...that focker can stand in the pocket with the best of them. The Colts, to me, are something a bit different. I wish I understood the Xs and Os better because their offense can operate at a very high level and teams have a hard time stopping them from scoring a lot in each game.

I'm not sure how they do it, but to me it looks and operates much differently than NE's O because it seems much more vertical more often, whereas Brady always seems to nickel and dime his way down the field, then hit the occasional long one.

Regardless, to beat either of them you need a lot of production out of your front four.

Having more then one person as a pass rusher makes it harder for the Offense to prepare for the game. Take Miami for example the Bills offensive plan was to shutdown Jason Tyler. Mission accomplished both games and there were few sacks.

Earlier in the year when we were losing I dissed Jerry Gray and his defense for not getting enough sacks and forcing turnovers.  I listened to a lot of people tell me how we were third in the league and that the turnovers didn't really matter so much as well as sacks.  Look at the last 4 games.  What have we done in those games?  Forced TO's and gotten sacks.  Our offense looks a lot better when we do this.

We do these two things and we are dominant.

163506[/snapback]

I guess it's a good thing we didn't fire him when you wanted to then, eh? :lol:

I guess it's a good thing we didn't fire him when you wanted to then, eh?  :lol:

163605[/snapback]

I think it would be interesting to see the stat: sacks/per pass attempt...that way all of the sacks that the colts have due to destroying all of their opponents arent weighted as heavily. anyone up for the task?

Sacks aren't necessarily important. What we need is constant pressure from the front four.

Blitzing will only cause you probs if you do it against good O-lines and competent QB's.

Don't get me wrong, I love the turnovers we're generating. It's a good thing our secondary isn't as young as it was w/o Vincent and a rookie at FS.