Fitzpatrick and OLBs

bama18

I dont get why people think that we will draft Miller. I just cant see us doing that. We have already invested a lot of money to the position. We have Kelsey who just signed a large contract and we have Merriman who also signed a contract. I cant see us signing another guy that is going to want top money. Also we have Moats who is looking promising. I see us picking Blaine Gabbert at 3 and addressing the defense at 34. Fitz is not the answer at qb. He had one okay season. He went 4-10 as a starter. Before that he was nothing. Also how many teams with a franchise qb are picking in the top 5. Fitz is the backup qb i want one my team because he will put up ok numbers if your starter is hurt.

We don't need Miller at 3 but we better add some pass rushers (and run stuffers) or we will be picking top 3 again.

I don't know Pete...

This Team, as is with all those injuries, was 4-4 to finish off the 2010 Season...You're 100% right that a Rookie QB is not going to help the Defense but if he's the right guy he's going to be the difference in a HUGE way from 2012 and on...If you want to win in 2011, and that is the goal, then no way do you take a QB...But really does anyone think the goal is to win in 2011? If you're convinced there is a Franchise QB available and you want the chance to win and be a perennial Playoff Team for the next 10-15 years, then you take the QB while you're up there...Because chances are VERY small The Bills will Pick this high again...VERY small...And if they do Draft #1 Overall in 2012 then you have options...A TON of options...I don't see it happening (Drafting #1 overall in 2012) though no matter who they pick...What I do see happening if they go Defense heavy at the Top of this Draft is the Bills going 6-10 and still having a HUGE hole at the most important Position on the Team...

Just my opinion though...I like Miller a heck of a lot...I just want to see The Bills get a big time QB and stop playing around at that Position...I think they can improve on D simply by Drafting heavy there in Rounds 4-7 and add that to the guys they picked up last Season. Those Players along with being more familiar with the scheme should help plenty on Defense...We'll see though... B-)

I like the thought behind the post. I agree with most things you said. But I disagree that the chances are VERY small that we pick this high again. I think there's a VERY good chance we pick this high next year considering our schedule. Pick a qb at 3 if you like him. If not, pick the player that fills a hole that they think will be able to contribute to the team for the next 10 years.

Draft Green this year and one of the top QB's next year. That way we will have our Kelly, Reed and Thomas. It would be Spiller, Green and next year's QB. We will be set for a decade.

Um, Green doesn't play O and Spiller is no Thomas, Sow we have a average QB, RB (Jackson)with decent WRs, which means Gabbert , Delone Carter, Greg Little for the new big three.

I dont get why people think that we will draft Miller. I just cant see us doing that. We have already invested a lot of money to the position. We have Kelsey who just signed a large contract and we have Merriman who also signed a contract. I cant see us signing another guy that is going to want top money. Also we have Moats who is looking promising. I see us picking Blaine Gabbert at 3 and addressing the defense at 34. Fitz is not the answer at qb. He had one okay season. He went 4-10 as a starter. Before that he was nothing. Also how many teams with a franchise qb are picking in the top 5. Fitz is the backup qb i want one my team because he will put up ok numbers if your starter is hurt.

I believe the Bills will take Miller before Gabbert. If Newton is @ 3, I believe they will take him. I just think they Have Miller higher rated, and with the defense needing the help. I can't see the Bills passing on Miller... Regardless, I'm sticking to my guns. The Bills will draft Miller or Newton depending who is drafted first...

:worthy::thumbsup: Well said, sir - I could not agree more. Let's hope Nix agrees with us also!

How will the 32nd ranked rushing defense be improved if we draft a QB to sit on the bench next year with pick 3? Only 3 teams had lower sack totals then Buffalo's paltry 27. How will Buffalo's pass rush be improved? And are you telling me the answer is Chris Kelsay and Merriman(who hasn't done jack in hte past 4 years)? If we neglect D and draft a QB with pick 3, we will be in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes. And that does kind of defeat the purpose of draft a QB in 11, doesn't it?

Tell me how drafting a OLB will turn the last ranked Run D around? The general thought is that we take Miller, a pass rusher. How will he improve the run defense?

Oh and if you can improve the offense and yanno keep the D off the field thye might not give up so many 2nd half rushing yards when theyre tired (look it up 2nd half rushing yards). I know the D does need to get better but the offense can help them out.

I like the thought behind the post. I agree with most things you said. But I disagree that the chances are VERY small that we pick this high again. I think there's a VERY good chance we pick this high next year considering our schedule. Pick a qb at 3 if you like him. If not, pick the player that fills a hole that they think will be able to contribute to the team for the next 10 years.

Agreed...

No question the whole idea of Drafting a QB, and I'm assuming the one that is going to be there is Gabbert, should be determined by the level of confidence The Bills have in said QB...NO question if they pass on Gabbert at #3 they are making a statement that they don't think he is going to develop into a Franchise QB...

I don't disagree either that the Bills MAY choose high again in 2012...But I do doubt it will be THIS high...I look at the 2011 Schedule and I see 6-10 or 7-9...They went 4-4 in the last 8 Games last season...The Defense will be better if only because they have a year under their belt in the new scheme and Wannstedt is on board now...They will be relying heavily on Merriman as well as youth from this Draft and the 2011 Draft...But there will be talent on that Defensive side...They really can't get much worse on Defense regardless...I just don't see a doom and gloom-type Season in 2011...I see a Jauron-type Season where The Bills are close in most Games, but lose more than they Win...I think any chance of Drafting in a position to sniff Luck next year is slim and none...And as they say in the dirty south, Slim done left Town... ;)

But that's just my take on it...In the end I really have no idea... B-)

I agree with what the original poster said and think it's a valid question, however I would say that last season after having first round money invested in Marshawn Lynch and giving Fred Jackson a contract extension for starter money, the Bills drafted CJ Spiller with a top 10 pick, so money at the position doesnt seem to be a deterant when it comes to best player available.

I think if the Bills take Miller it's a sign that they think he is going to be a stud in the NFL. I get the impression that on their list of "needs" OLB is probably a little lower to them than the rest of us would rank it, but I think they would take him primarily due to his ability.

Also, I would throw Patrick Peterson out there for the exact same reason.

There gonna pick ponder with the # 3 mark it dowm !!!

That'll infuriate a lot of people if you're serious and it happens, including me. With this class of QB's, any of them at #3 is a reach IMO. Newton has upside that could offset that reach but still....

Trading down would be best if QB is the target.

That'll infuriate a lot of people if you're serious and it happens, including me. With this class of QB's, any of them at #3 is a reach IMO. Newton has upside that could offset that reach but still....

Trading down would be best if QB is the target.

First off, no one is Picking Christian Ponder at #3 so you can relax... ;)

Secondly, I know it's just your opinion, but I don't think any QB is a reach at #3 IF The Bills are convinced that guy is going to be a 10 year plus Franchise QB...None of them are ready now, but it's the QB Position we're talking about...Where would Joe Flacco or Aaron Rodgers go in a re-Draft? Granted not all of them make it...that's part of the whole equation...But a Franchise QB trumps all...Something that seems to be lost on a lot of people...

I agree that a Trade down for a QB would be ideal, but it depends on what QB you are Trading Down for...If the target is Blaine Gabbert the Bills could not Trade down and still expect to secure him...Just about everyone thinks Arizona will take Gabbert if he's there at #5...Some even think he'll go to Cincy at #4...If Mallett or Locker is the target then the Bills could probably Trade down a few spots...But how far? It can be argued that Cincy, Arizona, San Fran, Minnesota, Tennessee, Washington, and Miami may take QB's...So should The Bills target another QB it's going to be like navigating a mine field to do so...And I just don't see this bunch being the type of Front Office to carry out such a task successfully...One thing I am VERY much against is a Trade up back into the 1st Round to secure Ponder or Dalton...I think that would be a mistake...This Team needs more Draft Picks not less...

Who knows though? We'll see soon enough... B-)