Wall Speed-Archiving.

_BiB_

I've been on my laptop the last few days, so I don't know how much is Toshiba and how much is TBD, but it seems since the threads got archived things are working a lot better.

161554[/snapback]

Why, I hadn't even noticed. It seems to have improved query speed on the forum page by...about 60%. Amazing! Great idea there, Scott!

Please......not another suck up thread.  Don't make me throw the G Bomb on this one too.

161571[/snapback]

Hey, since I know next to nothing about how this crap works, I thought I'd throw out a "this is my result". How's that sucking up?

It's sort of like shot over, shot out

splash over, splash out.

Please......not another suck up thread.  Don't make me throw the G Bomb on this one too.

161571[/snapback]

Everyone can probably guess that I'm the LAST person to suck up to SDS...in fact, I'm immeasurably harsher to him one-on-one, and I stand by every word of it.

At the same time...fair is fair. He's put a massive amount of effort into the board the past few days, and I'd be remiss in not recognizing him for it. My differences with him are extreme and venomous...but do not for one moment involve his worth ethic.

1. Most of the perfomance gains were through some piece of code I installed Monday night.

2. Obviously, an empty dB is going to load faster than a full one. That I always knew, but I considered that a band-aid and not a fix - many boards perform great w/o clearing their dBs. Reviews of the largest IPB boards out there revealed that they didn't need to perform this measure. New archiving features installed in the more recent releases of the board make this easier to perform than in the past. I knew it would help in the 2 queries that are made to the forum index page (that used to take 0.1 secs each), but I decided to go ahead and take every reasonable performance gain I can get. I assume this is a 10% type performance gain and not a 400% gain like I am hoping to achieve.

Tonight we will be down for a short while as I am installing a fresh copy of the board. The upgrade process over the past 5 versions have left errors that I am now seeing. When that is done, I will finish implementing a new way to handle images that should really take a huge load off the server once it is implemented.