5-2 DEFENSE

cool read. He clearly puts a lot into the effort and desire of these guys, which is understandable. But I still want Fairley at Phil Taylor. I am not worried about Fairley at all, and I expect a 340# man to get tired after a few 1st downs, so that doesnt worry me. Thats also why Im not satisfied with just Troup at NG (I expect him to get tired too). Taylor showed up at the combine and was not flabby at all, that tells me he was in good shape.

If Talyor makes it past the Steelers(37 y/o C. Hampton), Chargers (lost their NG last offseason), Jets (cut the oft injured Jenkins), and tha Pats (need DL help) twice Ill eat my hat. Fairley I think is ours if we want.

I saw the best case scenario when Nix and Gailey got together to "right the ship" for Buffalo as 3 years. 3 years to be in the mix for a run into the playoffs, and from there we should stay competitive as long as the guys running the show stay on top of it.

So, this year is year 2. Year one they got together as many solid prospects as they apparently could - and as it stands they have competence on the D-line surrounding an outstanding K. Williams, who should thrive for another 3-4 years. If Troupe pans out, adds some strength and can stay around 330 we could have a very good NT for years to come. Or we'll be in need of a very good NT. That positional need should be more clear by the season's end, but I wouldn't pass on a guy like Phil Taylor in the 2nd. We also need another stud to give more opportunity to K. Willimas - and another stud would benefit from K. Williams, as well, so adding a star DE is really a wise move at #3, I think. They have 2 holes in the linebacking corps, with Moats as a potential stud, Poz as a solid, reliable type, Merriman as boom or bust, and Batten as wait and see. We need a star to make the group a strength, and we need another body to fill the total to where we can be good with it. Our safety position will be more clear after this season. Can Byrd and Wilson be a good combo? So, too, will our CB position. Obviously we'll need another guy, but can McKelvin be a star? By the end of the year we'll know, but I think we should use the depth in this draft to add a DE, possibly a NT if he's the right guy at the right time, and 2 linebackers. That way going into year 3 of the rebuild we can just focus on the secondary.

As for the offense, our interior of the line is settled, I think. We need a RT - and I believe they'll address that in F.A. this year, so that by the year's end we'll either have a really nice group on the line, or we'll know Bell isn't LT material and we'll be adding LT to the list next offseason. Fitz is a good backup, a perfect backup actually - so that Franchise QB, I think, will be added this year. The only question is whether it will be in the first or the second round. If they believe Kaepernick, Locker, or Ponder can be franchise guys, they'll wait until the second, I think. If they have no confidence in them, or Dalton, then I think they pull the trigger on whichever QB is left at #3 - but, either way we'll have Gailey's man on our roster come summer. Our RB's are good. Our Wideouts are pretty solid right now. We have Easley coming back, who by all accounts was looking outstanding last spring. I think we'll sit on WR this year and see how the group looks by year's end. TE is another position I see us addressing in F.A.

So, that leaves, after year 2 (this summer and fall) a team with a young, promising O-line in place, a rookie QB either playing or being groomed, RB's on roster, WR's on roster, and TE, too. In other words, all we'll be looking at in year 3 of the rebuild is a LT (if Bell doesn't look strong this season) and maybe a WR/TE. On defense, we'll have, come summer, our front seven in place (I believe), our linebackers in place - although I think we'll continue to add LB's every year like Pittsburgh usually does in some capacity. We'll be leaving to year 3 the secondary.

I like the looks of this plan, and it is how I see us going forward. With the talent in this draft, I think we cannot come away from round 4 without a starter at DE and at least an ILB, maybe both ILB and OLB.